Bad Drivers of Nottingham.

I don't recognize any of the scenes in this video, things have certainly changed since I left the city over 45 years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3-bNS0_JR4

A lot has changed in the last ten years Ayeup never mind 50! I don't go to town much but there's always something to surprise me when I do.

(Some of those guys with dashcams aren't exactly perfect either)

I could identify most of the locations, and I've probably seen some of the drivers. Typical day-time driving standards are definitely worse than they used to be, but there are obviously also a lot more cars on the roads. And I agree with Brew that some of the dash-cam brigade seem to think that having one fitted makes them holier than the rest.

Something I do a lot these days when driving (which I never used to do) is to watch the actual road surface. You could easily wreck your tyres or suspension in some of the potholes and crevices which are all over the region.

Add to that the spectacular lack of white lines (worn away) at some complex junctions, it's easy to understand why some people get genuinely confused.

• Like 4

Where the white lines have worn away people have to make their own lanes & white lines up in their minds to decide where to go, however people have different ideas on where the imaginary lanes & white lines should be & that is where confusion is possible. Someone who passed their test last week will react differently  to someone who passed decades ago, & you have illegal drivers who've never passed a test. I used to advise my ex pupils to display a green L (new driver) or P (passed) plate so other drivers would know they've just passed their test... 

Colly, I agree that the green ‘P’ plate is a good idea, an understanding experienced driver will then give the new driver a bit of space.  I also always give extra consideration to people driving near and around our hospitals, one never knows what stress they may be dealing with, they may be sick themselves or visiting an ill patient.  

The video was quite interesting, although I didn’t recognise a lot of the areas featured.  I had to watch it all in case me and my car were in the video :Shock:

• Upvote 1

Colly,

I'm surprised this has not been taken up in England...

Seeing an R plate on a car/bike does make you watch out for any erratic driving.

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/drivers-and-vehicles/new-drivers/

Australia used the red "P" plate for provisional driver, for the first year after passing the drivers test, limited to 80Kmh, NO alcohol, and a couple of states, Victoria and Tasmania had some restricted streets to P plate drivers. may have been more, but I only knew of those two states restrictions.

1 hour ago, TBI said:

Peculiar laws on the IoM though. R plates for newbies yet lots of roads don't have any speed restrictions at all.

The lack of speed limits are on very few roads and even though you think you can go as fast as you like there are many charges to the unwary driver/rider of driving without due care or not driving to the present conditions. (Lots of rain, fog etc. over here).

I used to take my pupils on fast dual carriageways & get them up to 70 MPH so they wouldn't get such a shock when going on the M1 after passing their tests, of course learners can go on the M1 now but couldn't back then. I'd also take them over Clifton bridge & get them to change lanes while at speed, that made a few sweat, lol...

On 11/18/2019 at 5:04 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

Australia used the red "P" plate for provisional driver,

Yes they are the ones that speed, zig zag in and out of traffic and use their mobiles on instatwitface whilst driving. In many cases the P stands for Pratt.

On 11/17/2019 at 7:55 PM, colly0410 said:

Where the white lines have worn away people have to make their own lanes

Don't know about the UK but here in OZ they must be using cheap paint on the road line markings as they all but disappear in heavy rain and I so wish they would use the old fashioned "cats eyes" instead of plastic reflectors

• Upvote 1

Things have changed since I left Oz 30 years back, getting the "P" plate made one a target for cops if they saw you doing something stupid back then on the roads.

11 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Things have changed since I left Oz 30 years back

They certainly have. The focus now appears to be revenue collection by the proliferation of fixed and mobile speed cameras often using the guise of safety and being used where there is no history of accidents. The answer in my opinion is more unmarked cars patrolling roads that locals know have a history of Richard Craniums on them.

Only last night coming home along a dual carriage way up a long hill I came over the crest and saw 4 cars stationary with their hazard flashers on whilst two big Eastern Grey kangaroos hopped along in the outside lane. I put my hazard lights on and stopped in the traffic and sure enough two idiots came barrelling along in the outside line, never slowed down despite the lights and luckily the roos had hopped into the other lanes. Hitting a big roo at speed can destroy your car.

Anyone want to guess which country was the manufacturer of the vehicles driven the two idiots …………………..  

That's right German.

19 minutes ago, Oztalgian said:

The answer in my opinion is more unmarked cars patrolling roads

Tend to disagree. Unmarked cars will certainly catch a few bad drivers, but a marked police car will have a bigger effect. Who here doesn't check their speed and slow down when they see one? So one unmarked car will catch a few, a conspicuous car will prevent many more from transgressing. 

Can't agree with you there Brew. Road conditions and traffic density outside of the major cities is vastly different here than in the UK.

Granted that people do slow down when they see a police car or approach a fixed camera but here as soon as it is out of sight or passed, back they go to speed and stupidity.

With regular stopping of motorists by unmarked cars word would soon get around and people would modify their behaviour due to the risk of being caught. Signs indicating that this road is patrolled by unmarked cars would help.

We have to do something here as RTA deaths are up by 50% on last years figures year to date. Most deaths have occurred outside the metropolitan area during the daytime and on a weekday, and the over 70 age group is the most represented.

Well you may have a point about word of mouth and rumour regarding unmarked police cars, we have them here as well. However there are no facts I can find that hint at which is the most effective, our local police seem a bit coy about such things.

Interesting that the over 70's are most likely to be involved in a fatality it's usually 'young bloods' that race around and have accidents.

Brew, I too cannot find any recent studies that show effectiveness of overt vs covert policing of traffic except this rather old report from the 90's by Monash University in Melbourne Victoria.

During the combined periods of increased mobile radar enforcement (i.e. July 1995-June 1997), reductions in casualty crashes were more evident when the mobile radar enforcement was covert (i.e. unmarked cars) than overt. This was particularly the case 1 to 4 days after the enforcement was present in each TOG region of rural Victoria. Under these circumstances, when up to 73 mobile radar devices were in operation, a net 22% reduction in casualty crashes was found. Reductions were also evident when a mix of both overt and covert mobile radar enforcement was in operation. However, overt (marked cars) mobile radar enforcement on its own was not as effective.

During the second period of increased mobile radar enforcement (i.e. July 1996-June 1997) when 73 units were in operation, crash reductions were most evident 1-4 days after the mobile radar enforcement was present in rural Victoria. This was the case when only overt or only covert enforcement was operating (i.e. net 6.6% and 17.5% reductions, respectively, were found).

I'm a tight wad, mostly because we are on a fixed income, so I tend to stick to the speed limits pretty rigidly.

When I lived in Oz I liked to piss the hwy patrol crowds off in NSW, they had a habit of sitting on a drivers tail, begging him to go over the speed limit, i'd ease off on the accelerator and start to slow from the speed limit of 100kph to 80 kph, wouldn't be long before they sped past me giving me a dirty look as they went past. Then I'd be back up to the speed limit.

I was once saved from a ticket one night on the way home from work by a semi trailer behind me, I was speeding that night, well early morning, around 2-30am. long story, but the cop lost me.