Thanks for posting that. Brought back many memories. I didn't know Basford very well - most of my knowledge of the area came from the time I worked at Gerard's on Wilkinson Street and my wanderings around the district but my memory cells were certainly jogged by those images.

Thanks DaveN, brought back a few memories for 'er indoors, as she lived on Cairo street when she were a tiddler.

Where do you guys get all these pix?

I worked in New Basford from 1967-75 and realise looking at these photos that I couldn’t have wandered around the area much at all as I have very few memories of the area.  The only photo that brought back any memory at all was that of ‘The Palm Tree’ pub on Gladstone Street.  I used to go in there regularly at lunchtimes with work colleagues and we were always there on Christmas Eve.  

My "Basford days" were '74 - '78 but I lived on Sherwood Rise at the time so I had opportunity to look around. Before that, I was working on Gregory Boulevard ('64 - '74) and that's proximal to Basford/Forest Fields as well.

Picture number 54 took me back a bit. Bought my first new Raleigh moped from Roy Wharton motor cycles shop. That must have been back in 1967/68 ish. Lived off Valley road back then and worked at Smith- Dennis, on Berridge road, ( not that's of any interest).

An interesting car to see parked there. It's a BMW coupe, produced in the 70s, and not the kind of thing you'd expect to find in a concrete jungle (unless you were involved in dodgy business dealings). Today they are worth quite a lot - if you could find one.

C9xmNKs.jpg

And the bike against the lamp post tells us that the photo is by Reg Baker.

• Like 1

To the untrained eye that's just a bike and a lamp post.

To the casual photo viewer it must seem like just a bit of coincidence.

To the regular viewer the secret is known.

I wonder if he had a bike stolen whilst taking photos and decided to keep it view, then adopted it as his trademark?

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

An interesting car to see parked there. It's a BMW coupe, produced in the 70s, and not the kind of thing you'd expect to find in a concrete jungle (unless you were involved in dodgy business dealings). Today they are worth quite a lot - if you could find one.

C9xmNKs.jpg

And the bike against the lamp post tells us that the photo is by Reg Baker.

Yes CT, desirable nowadays and a very swish motor back in the day, the 3.0CS. 1974 according to the reg plate. I think it's actually parked in the Lord Nelson car park.