Manual v Automatic

Our new car has so many safety aids and fancy dodads to "help" your driving.

It is the first car I have had with an electric handbrake it just comes on when you put the gearbox in park and off when you put it into reverse or drive.

For the first few weeks I still kept going to put the handbrake on before getting out of the car. All is good now except that the older car we have has a conventional handbrake and guess what? ……………………………. I now have to make a conscious effort to remember to put it on.

The new car has a constantly variable transmission and at the weekend we did a 500km round trip on country roads at high speed and returned 53 mpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our main use car has an automatic electric handbrake, put the auto gearbox in park and on comes the handbrake, simples. The only trouble is that our other car has a "manual" handbrake and sometim

Took me ages to not reach for the clutch pedal when stopping.

I, like many driving an auto for the first time, hit the big brake pedal with my left foot. It's quite surprising how much force you use, even with 'normal' braking. The car was a Ford Zodiac and boy at slow speed did it stop!

I remember once arriving at Frankfurt airport late at night in the winter when it was snowing and I had a heavy cold. I collected a left hand drive manual hire car and then had to drive 100 miles sitting in the left hand seat changing gear with my right hand. What a nightmare of a journey! The next day, at the factory I was visiting, they gave me a small bottle of Klosterfrau to drink. It was was a herbal, alcoholic cure all. It certainly worked! 

I never got on with LHD. Even a car that was kept in France was RHD. Talking about electric parking brakes - last year I collected  Dodge 4x4 from Indianapolis Airport and wondered why it was so sluggish. After about 2 miles entering the freeway I floored the accelerator and notice a trail of black smoke in the mirror....you've guessed why.

Stopped and checked tyres - VERY hot. Rubbish car btw.

I've not yet come across anything with electric brakes, other than trailers. My truck like all autos, has the transmission lock when placed in park, but has a foot operated emergency brake for parking. Same with my wife's Toyota RAV4.

Going for a none existent clutch still catches me out, mostly if I get some idiot pull out in front of me and I have to brake suddenly. In the beginning, I also reached for the none existent gear stick...

I was just looking this up, there are two types of electric brakes, EPB, electric parking brake and braking by wire, ie full electric braking via the brake pedal.

Gets scary!!!

My all time favourite car was a Toyota Hilux pickup - the indestructible mk3. Everything manual. Even had to get out of the cab to switch into 4 wd. It did have snooze control..it was slowwww zzzzzz..but it had soul :cool:

3 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

My all time favourite car was a Toyota Hilux pickup - the indestructible mk3. Everything manual. Even had to get out of the cab to switch into 4 wd. It did have snooze control..it was slowwww zzzzzz..but it had soul :cool:

On one of our earlier Shoguns you had to get out and rotate the front hub centres to select four wheel drive which wasn't very funny on a cold snowy morning. On both of our cars now the four wheel drive systems are totally automatic with no option to make a selection. As we don't do any serious off roading or tow pony or boat trailers we don't need things like low ratios and diff locks anymore.

All the Ford "F" series pickups used to have "hub locks" to engage the wheels in 4WD at one time, now it's done through the transfer case. The beauty of hub locks is you're not driving the front wheel axle and reducing drag when in 2WD.

The Suburu station wagon I had in Oz was manual transmission, had 4WD Hi and Low range, selected by a second gear shift, could be done safely "on the fly" where as on my Chevy Silverado, I have to stop, select neutral and turn a switch to either 4WD or 4WD lo and wait until the light goes from flashing to steady.

• 1 year later...

Had a test drive in a double clutch auto Hyundai i10 the other day = very strange experience, it also had stop/start. You'd stop at the lights, when they turned green I pressed the gas & nothing seemed to happen, so pressed a bit more, then the engine fired up & it zoomed forwards, when accelerating I could feel it change gear, I can hardly tell when my present fluid clutched Hyundai i10  changes gear. Wife seemed to like it so there's a good chance we'll be having one soon, it'll take me some time to get used to it though, & I'm an ex driving instructor...

I find auto stop/start considerably irritating and switch it of when I start driving. It can be especially annoying in slow moving traffic. The only time I use it is when I’m waiting at a level crossing or know I’m going to be stopped for a considerable time. Cars are loaded with gadgets these days. If you ever bother to read the handbook you’ll discover even more. :biggrin: The other irritating one that I switch off is the lane keeping assist.

• Like 1

wait till lane assist and self park systems need repair and reset £400 for reset ,around £10000 to purchase the kit  and training to use it,

The real scary thing is driving the car whilst standing outside and controlling it with my smart phone, shudder to think what would happen if I dropped the phone...

It’s certainly a feature on some Mercedes models but no doubt others have it too. These ‘gizmos’ used to be a feature of upmarket cars but the electronic bits are so relatively cheap that less expensive cars now have them to be competitive. I read recently that the upmarket cars are becoming less popular as lower priced models now have all the gadgets. 

I have a Hyundai Elantra N line with a 1.6l turbo  and 7 speed dual clutch the dual clutch has two clutch plates one shifts the even gears and the other shifts the odd gears it is a manual transmission but there is no clutch pedal it shifts electonically, love the car its a pleasure to drive. There is no torque converter and automatic transmission oil the gearbox holds about four pints of gearoil which you can easily change yourself.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Manual v Automatic