Manual v Automatic

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our main use car has an automatic electric handbrake, put the auto gearbox in park and on comes the handbrake, simples. The only trouble is that our other car has a "manual" handbrake and sometim

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

Do cars actually work like that Brew? I never knew that.

Google it BK there's quite a  few YT clips...

I once had a Porsche on demo where the clutch was activated by a switch in the gear shift... bad idea for some who had a habit of driving with his hand on it.   :(

NCT converted two Daimler fleetline double deckers (ETO 160 L / ETO 161 L) from a semi auto change to fully automatic gearchange & were horrendous.

These gearboxes changed gear on road speed only & not torque power. An absolute nightmare to drive & were sent on the Clifton routes when they became One Man Operated.

If I remember correctly these were later reverted back to semi automatic configuration again.

I learned to drive in those old Regents. Not in the cab but as a kid with me mam in the lower saloon on me tiptoes looking into the driver's cab window and watching what he did with the controls and noting the movements of the bus. I loved that huge steering wheel and how smooth the bus responded, turning this way then that way. And that pre-shift on top of its pedestal. Fascinated by the huge handbrake with its ratchet release lever.

Waiting in the bus on Hanley Street on a dusky evening, the driver stows the safety chock, climbs in and when he'd sat down switches all the lights on, but the switches were on a panel behind him and he never even looked at it! These uniformed guys were real cool.

Once when we were first off at Bobbers Mill I ran along the footpath to see the driver and waved to him. He looked at me with a big grin and a wink, then it was 'ting-ting' and drove off with a deep growl of diesel. What a hero.

• Like 3

I did very much the same Ww. The East Leake Buses were favourites, possibly Renowns?, the window behind the driver curved down and I could see everything he did. I think I've said before a mystery to me was how he knew the number of turns on the steering wheel he needed to get round corners. I thought he must be very clever to remember.

Sometimes the seat was occupied so the curve on the seat  handrail became a pretend steering wheel and I knew from the engine sound just when he was going to change gear.

• Like 1

Willow, I don't know how old you are compared to me, but  I was one of those drivers and it gives one a warm glow to think that somebody appreciated what we were doing. Makes a change from going out on duty, knowing 50% hated you, simply for wearing a green Corpo' uniform. (never thought of meself as a hero).

• Like 1

I passed my test in a manual, first car I had WV Golf you had to be carfull as putting in to first gear, it would slip into reverse. Goodjob no one was behind me. When WV Golf wet to the car garage in the sky, a friend was selling his Cortina gear auto. Now i have had autos every since, beauty of auto stop on a hill and the car just stays there. Not so good is you can not jump-start them.

• 1 year later...

Automatics are good in stop start heavy traffic, great when backing trailers, but I still prefer manuals, a lot more control over the vehicle.

Trouble is, manuals are no longer made in US vehicles any more and only expensive imported vehicles have manual gear changes.

My full size pick up has a 6 speed auto transmission and of course 4wd, I can select manual change via push button.

I've been driving autos for years and both me and my wife drive them. Recently I bought a small manual Jeep for my daughter to learn to drive as she couldn't find a driving instructor locally with an auto car. She's learning to drive later in life as she used to live in London and had no need of a car and nowhere to park. It seemed strange for me to drive a manual at first but I soon got used to it and quite enjoy it now. It's no fun driving a manual in heavy town traffic though. When she's passed her test we'll swap her car for an auto or even a small electric. She really wants a Landrover as she lives out in the sticks! I read somewhere that 25% of new drivers are now learning in autos. Apart from the 'fun' side of gear changing on a twisty road I can see no point in a manual car unless it's a sports model like a Lotus or a Morgan. Even in my Merc I could change gear manually using the flappy paddles and use 'sports' mode but I'm happy to pootle along automatically with 'comfort' selected. Getting old you see!

I like driving cars with manual boxes as well as autos. I have a passion for attempting good changes up and down with straight cut crash boxes such as those in pre 1920s cars. The synchro manual boxes are a doddle of course. 

In my dotage I am enjoying a modern with a comfortable auto box.   

A properly executed 'racing' change is a pleasure to perform. The last proper sports manual I had was a Lotus Elise 111S about six years ago. It was fun to take on a track day around the Cadwell Park circuit where the performance could be 'safely' exploited. With my increasing hip pain I had to exit it on my hands and knees which was a bit undignified so I sold it!

Well Cadwell with a pre 20s car is interesting to say the least though I hesitate to label my changes as racing. I was pleased to get up and down in a timely manner!

That's another item you rarely find on an auto over here, handbrakes, they have an emergency brake pedal, I don't think anyone uses it for parking anyway, as when you put an auto in park, there is a "peg" in the transmission that locks the transmission, you can find real easy if you forget yourself when stopping, it screeches to a skidding halt. NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!

I like diesel over petrol, but live in an area where we can and do get below zero F in winter and as diesel "gels" in the teens F would be stranded.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Manual v Automatic

Our main use car has an automatic electric handbrake, put the auto gearbox in park and on comes the handbrake, simples.

The only trouble is that our other car has a "manual" handbrake and sometimes I forget to put in on and it rolls forwards or backwards a little until the auto box detent pin engages. Gives me quite a surprise!

• Like 1