Coventry Road, Bulwell. 1800s -1960s

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help with information regarding my ancestors please.

My great great grandad was George Allen, a grocer who had his own shop, also on the board of Guardians for the workhouse and helped to build the Church of Christ (now the URC) with "Dickie Dawson" and my great uncles and aunts included the Chambers butchers. My GG grandmother was Mary white. 

From records they all lived on coventry street at

42, 55, 91, 112, 164, 166, 196, 199, 201, 207 Coventry Road and....

107, 176 Bradford Street.

I would be particularly interested in hearing any information regarding Louisa Allen as apparently she married Horace white and had my grandmother Clarice but to this day we have no trace or information regarding him or his family. 

Many thanks in anticipation. Xxx

Can you be more specific on dates, please?  When did George Allen marry Mary White and when were both of them born and where and when did they die?

Who were the parents of Louisa Allen and where and when was she born?  When did she marry?  When was Clarice born and where?

I was at school with Denise Chambers and her brother, Chris, is a member of NS but hasn't posted for a long-time. They are both resident in Canada.  There is a Chambers Butchers thread on here.

Denise will now be 61, Chris around 59. Their father was Ken Chambers, I believe. Never saw him as he and their mother were separated but their mother, Betty, ran the shop in Coventry Road until the early 70s when the entire area was redeveloped. I went there numerous times.

I don't recall Denise mentioning any other relatives but should be easy enough to trace on Ancestry.  

Edited to add...father's name was George B Chambers. Ken Chambers ran a rival butcher's shop in Bulwell and was, I believe, related.

There is a George B Chambers born in 1927 and another in 1930. One has a mmn of Hallsworth and one has a mmn of Daykin. Which one married Betty Slater in 1952, I don't know.

3 hours ago, Meakmogs said:

My great great grandad was George Allen, a grocer who had his own shop, also on the board of Guardians for the workhouse and helped to build the Church of Christ (now the URC) with "Dickie Dawson" and my great uncles and aunts included the Chambers butchers. My GG grandmother was Mary white. 

From records they all lived on coventry street at

42, 55, 91, 112, 164, 166, 196, 199, 201, 207 Coventry Road and....

In my family history, I have connections who lived at 42, 44, and 89 Coventry Road at various times in the late 1800s. But the surnames don't match any of yours.

• 4 months later...

Hi 

I can't tell you any more about Louisa Allen I'm afraid, but I can add that George Allen is also my Great Great Grandfather. He and Mary had a Son - Dawson (my Great Grandfather), who married and had a daughter (Annie Allen (read) - my grandmother). I don't have a record of a Louisa - do you know what links her to George and or Mary?

Welcome GrahamR.

Meakmogs (who started this thread) hasn't logged in here since the end of November last year, so they may not see your reply....unless they come back here at some time in the future. 

However there are other people here who may be able to answer your question.