That sounds a lot like what happens in Sikh Gurdwaras

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/sikhism/ritesrituals/gurdwara_1.shtml

Anyone, Sikh or not.. can attend the 'Langar'

The free food kitchen, or Langar

Sikh men serve food inside a Langar

Every Gurdwara has a Langar attached to it where food is served to anyone without charge. The term Langar is also used for the communal meal served at the Gurdwaras.

The food served in the Langar must be simple, so as to prevent wealthy congregations turning it into a feast that shows off their

I've never done this.. but I believe that if you cover your head, remove your shoes and make a small gift of money, flowers or anything.. even just words of thanks.. you will be fed.

• Like 1

There is one in Middlesbrough, which I frequented when I was working at the local hospital. I am vegetarian so this is wonderful food for me.  The langar is usually on a Friday, and is gorgeous. I have a particular affection for an ice cold salted yogurt drink called lassi. Sounds horrible but tastes divine and is astonishingly healthy. One old chap would see me and prepare this most magnificent glass of lassi and I have never tasted finer. Sometimes he would see me come in and add to the lassi other things, like mango and pineapple. mango is OK, pineapple less so, but his pomegranate lassi is the most wonderful drink I have ever tasted. I have never been able to recreate it just the same. 

I dont like the  greasy triangular samosas, but this chap made punjabi samosas which have a dry crust, and are a little more spicy. You Nottinghamians will know what I am saying when I talk about a jubbly! Well this samosa is the same size and shape as that, but crispy and spicy. I got his recipe and was astounded how simple it was. 

namaste! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 11/28/2019 at 12:49 AM, DJ360 said:

That sounds a lot like what happens in Sikh Gurdwaras

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/sikhism/ritesrituals/gurdwara_1.shtml

Anyone, Sikh or not.. can attend the 'Langar'

I've never done this.. but I believe that if you cover your head, remove your shoes and make a small gift of money, flowers or anything.. even just words of thanks.. you will be fed.

You do not need to cover your head at all, but certainly to remove shoes. In the temple I go to, I just pray and ring the bell. They know I am Christian and they accept it with glee. It does not matter what you offer, it just matters that you do. It is a hugely friendly environment and you make friends quickly. Sometimes I just clear the tables and wash pots. it is a joy. 

Do not be frightened to go into the temple, it will be welcoming. I am glad I did. 

• Like 3

Thank you for that insight Mercury Dancer.  I remain steadfastly unbelieving in the 'magical miracle' aspects of all religions, but I'm very open to the power of human interaction.. the removal of fear through familiarisation and understanding.. etc.

I recall a Sikh chap who lived in our street on Bestwood Est. in the late 60s early 70s.. He would go into my local pub the 'Deerstalker' on Sunday lunchtime and have a half. or maybe a couple.  He would mostly sit alone. but always had a smile for everybody.  I didn't know how to engage wirth him back then. but often wish I had.

mercurydancer's mention of the 'jubbly' brought them back into my memory. There was a sweetie shop at the bottom of Duke Street in Hucknall (next door to The Byron cinema) that sold frozen Jubblys. They did a roaring trade from the pupils of Beardall Street school (I was one of them). They also sold Phul Nana cachous, Parma Violets from fancy tubular jars and Cherry Lips. 

Sorry, this is going off topic. More to thw point of the thread, when I was working at Gerard's one the the lab assistants invited me to his wedding. He was a really nice man, always immaculately dressed and always with an extremely tidy turban. I can't remember quite where the wedding was held but it was a sort of makeshift Sikh temple somewhere in Forest Fields (possibly on Berridge Road).

It was the best wedding party I've ever been to. Everyone was so friendly and the food was superb - and quite different to any Indian restaurant food I have eaten

Merriman's, the corner shop opposite Berridge, sold frozen jubblies and also did a roaring trade. I wasn't especially keen on sweets but liked the flat banana split bars they sold there.

On topic, until a few years ago, I had a friend who was a cordon bleu cook. Two weeks before Christmas every year, she held what she called an at home for friends. Each year, she chose a particular cuisine and I've been to a couple of the Indian themed at homes. I don't like spicy food but she made a range of different strengths, vegetarian and carnivorous, along with other, yogurt, dishes.

It was always an event to look forward to but she passed on a couple of years ago, so those are now pleasant memories.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:08 PM, denshaw said:

I was talking to a Sikh a few days ago, he told me that the Temple on Nottingham road Sherwood rise give away free meals. Don't know if this is daily or not.

It is usually on a Friday. The one on Sherwood Rise does food on that day, and the expected contribution is 2 quid. If you have no money it is free, but pay respect and put something into the funds. It will be appreciated. The atmosphere is very welcoming. The most polite word you can use is namaste. Its an all purpose greeting word. Dont feel silly about using it, even if you are not sure about its pronunciation, you will gain lots of respect for it.