Was cricket daft when at school,, and spent hours copying ""run-ups"" Deepdene,

Loved some of the fast bowlers of yesteryear,, Tyson,,Statham,,Trueman,,loader,,lillee,,Thomson,,Hall,,Griffiths,,

Some spinners too had great actions,,Wardle,,Lock,,Laker,,

I was driving around Norfolk in 81,when Willis took his 8 for 43,,great performance,, RIP Bob,,

• Like 1

After a very long run up his bowling action was a little unusual in that it was very front on.

Looking at his career stats it was very effective.

Like Ben I remember his 8fer against Australia. A great servant of English cricket RIP Bob

One of England’s best, sadly gone too early.  He came across as very dour when commentating on the TV but was nothing like that really.  

I met him twice years ago.  Sat next to him and Paul Allott on Centre Court, Wimbledon, one of the players was Pete Sampras but can’t remember his opponent.

The other occasion was at a benefit ‘do’ for Phil Tufnell.  We used to go to lots of those kind of events as our accountant had connections ........ he represented a lot of well-known sportsmen and musicians and we were happy to go along!  

2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

One of England’s best, sadly gone too early

Just out of curiosity Lizzie, when would you say is the right time?

3 hours ago, Waddo said:

Just out of curiosity Lizzie, when would you say is the right time?

Seeing as he was same age as me it’s worrying.  I’ve certainly noticed in the past couple of years that many personalities, around my age and younger, from the world of film, tv and sport have passed away.  I’m hoping I live as long as my Dad who was 92 when he left us.  

It hit home a bit with me when in September I attended the funeral of my best friend from school, (and we were still best friends nearly 60 years later),  she was 6 months younger than me. 

A friend of mine in Peterborough put it in a nutshell, when he said " How many summer holidays have I left"?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1