Once came back from Italy and couldn't hear a thing.  I feared a perforated eardrum so went to see the doc. He said, after almost twisting my head off trying to look inside my ears with an auriscope, that my ear canals were at such a steep angle, he couldn't see a thing!  Years before that, after a hearing test, I was told I could hear sounds which were more likely to be heard by dogs!!

Things righted themselves in time and my hearing is still very acute...but on principle, I never listen to what any bloke has to say!

WOOF!!! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2
10 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

LizzieM, Would that have been with Court Line or Clarksons Travel with their pink, purple, lime green and other weird coloured BAC 111"s?

Not sure about that particular flight Oz but in 1970 I definitely flew on a Court Line plane, yellow outside and inside, rather like being in a bowl of custard.  My friend even remembers what sandwiches they provided on our flight to Genoa.  

Yes LizzieM, Flying home on one of those after the last night of the holiday having consumed too much Sangria was never a comfortable experience when the plane was as green as you felt.

Much preferred Brittania Airways out of Castle Donnington.

I was a slow starter.  My first flight was from Manchester in a Boeing 720B ( A sort of stretched 707) in July 1979.  We were flying with Tjaerborg to Crete on a package.

Once we left a cloudy Manchester.. we didn't see a cloud for 2 weeks.  As we cruised over the Alps... I was fascinated to see vehicles moving on roads far below.  Little blue lakes stood out in the landscape.  Somewhere before we got over what was then Yugoslavia...... I watched in amazement as far below us.. four fighter jets moved up behind a 'tanker' and did an inflight refuelling exercise.  Quite astonishing.  I noted how the landscape changed from green to brown as we approached the Eastern Med.  Flying in over Crete was amazing.. Plato's 'wine dark sea' ..white rocks.. sandy beaches....  Loved it.