Fernwood Junior School, Wollaton

I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this school (or the secondary school for that matter). I was at Fernwood Junior between 1963 and 1967, my parents moved to Wollaton from West Hallam (the other side of Ilkeston) so I was late coming into my year group. I remember the headmaster was Mr Whittaker, and many years later we bumped into him outside the Camelia House in Wollaton Park. He used to come and give us special lessons called "verbal reasoning" and what we didn't realise was that this was actually coaching for the 11 Plus. It succeeded because out of a class of 33 all but one person got to either Bilborough Grammar or the High School. Other names I remember are Mr Husbands, my final teacher at Fernwood, and Mrs Aitchinson, who we referred to as H Bomb because she had a temper on her!

My other memory of Fernwood is the large fold-over hymn sheets on the wall of the school hall, one either side of the front wall, which we would use during assembly.

Anyone else from Fernwood Junior on here?