Name the school on the right....

I agree, Bluecote School looking from Aspley Lane outside of the Players Social Club - now David Lloyd Fitness

If I'm not mistaken, that's the number 16 bus as well on it's way to maid Marion Way :yahoo:

This is what I thought also. The clue, which Rob didn't understand, was to do with the Bluecoat school. The original schoolwas started by the lace makers when they moved to Nottingham. My Aunts family were the original lot who came to Nottingham and started this school for the apprentices to the lace makers.

When the school on Aspley Lane was opened my Uncle had some of the old card lace framed and some indenture papers framed for the school to display in their foyer. I believe her family were the first ones to make lace on a carding machine. Don't quote me on this 'cause I have been known to be wrong.

The tower in the background is St Margarets' church if this is the Blucoat School.

A ;)

Bluecoat School it is.......

Rather hoisted by my own petard, as I've always thought (until this morning!) that the Bluecoat School was on North Sherwood Street below the Arboretum entrance.

Agree that Granby Street was the 16 teminus....

Cheers

Robt P.

That is right Rob but they built a new one on Aspley Lane some years ago. The one you know was the original school started by the lace industry many moons ago.

Maid Marion Way runs from Friar Lane downwards and Granby Street runs from what I can only think is Chapel Bar down to the Island. Just me being picky. All the Aspley buses used to run from there when I was a

lot younger.

A ;)

Yes, thanks for the Bluecoat info...the switch must have been pre-'73.

Bluecoat Street links Mansfield Road and N. Sherwood Street, which merely added to my confusion!

The only other NCT buses that went down Nuthall Road, past Aspley, and didn't use Granby Street were 1 (terminated Rosslyn Drive/Bell's Lane/Broxtowe Lane junction), 7 (Bulwell Market) and 22 (Deepdene Way/Amesbury Circus) which all used the sloping Hanley Street (off Talbot Street) as their Nottingham stop.

Cheers

Robt P.

Going into full train spotter mode.

This photo has to be post 1967 judging by the style of the bus bodywork. NCT used to run Leyland's on the 16/16A routes and they didn't get the curved upper deck front screen until the 1967 batch.

Since Maid Marion Way had already been built this bus would terminate not at Granby Street but on Long Row West outside Pearson's.

Spotter mode off.

I'm not sure at what time, but the terminus for the 16,16A,32 and 62 was moved to Maid Marion Way from Chapel Bar/Granby Street.

When I was courting - many moons ago - I always used to catch the last bus home to Bradfield Road from there and not Chapel bar. Late '68/69. Around that time the new buses were also being introduced where you used to board via the front doors (as you do nowadays) and not the open back.

Was that the year of change from Trolleybus Frank?

No Mick - that was a good few years previous. I remember catching the trolley bus down to the terminus on Berridge Road and then having to transfer to a 'normal' Bus for the final leg of the journey :rolleyes:

I also remember getting my first pair of long trousers in 1963 smile2

I don't know about the trousers but I have a feeling that the first Motor bus to pick me up at Bentinck Road to take me to school, at Trent Bridge Was around 1965.

Can anyone put an anorack on and tell me what the buses were?

Anorack on.........

Bentinck Road to Trent Bridge would be the 43, from Bulwell Market.

Ran as a trolleybus until July 1966......

Other tracklesses using Bentinck Road were:

42 - Northern Baths to Queen Street and 44 - Bulwell Hall to Colwick crossing.

Cheers

Robt

Frank Posted: Aug 6 2006, 06:27 PM  

I also remember getting my first pair of long trousers in 1963 

That be about the same time as me Frank, left school on the friday, come Monday morning there they were brand new pair of brown Corduroys neatly folded at the bottom of me bed ready and waiting to be donned for my first day at the work face, arrrrr Nottstalgia......... !rotfl!

Frank Posted: Aug 6 2006, 06:27 PM  

I also remember getting my first pair of long trousers in 1963 

That be about the same time as me Frank, left school on the friday, come Monday morning there they were brand new pair of brown Corduroys neatly folded at the bottom of me bed ready and waiting to be donned for my first day at the work face, arrrrr Nottstalgia......... !rotfl!

I remember when mummy got me my first pair of long trousers, it seemed so strange being dressed the same as daddy, it became even more unusual when she made me wear a cap and got me a job down at the local pit...

I wouldn't have minded, but being only five at the time, I could never get used to that awful tasting chewing tobacco.