Christmas presents

Every year I read up on the Winter Solstice and try to understand the exact mechanism which causes the 'wobble' in sunset/sunrise times and day length.  Every year I think I've understood it and every following year I have to look it up again.  Basically it's something to do with the fact that the Earth is tilted on its axis.  Whatever,, the earliest sunsets have already passed a few days ago and the latest sunrises don't happen until 30th Dec. (in Liverpool.. my nearest city)  And yes. it seems that the 22nd is the shortest this year, by one second.

It's all here.  https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/liverpool

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't want nowt! New hi -fi.  I'd never hear the difference New camera.  I hardly ever take photos anymore. New electronic organ with more bells and whistles.  I can hardly play the o

I bought a new leaf blower the other week.  I bought it because my old one was beyond repair.  When the new one arrived Mrs' L said, "Keep it as a Christmas present."   I refused.  I didn't buy it as

My dearest wife has spent a lot of money on my  present and its on something I will eventually use. Being a down to earth born and bred Hucknalite she doesn't waste money and I hope there isn't a hidd

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm also a member of the club which thinks that the shortest day is the best day of the year. From now on it can only get lighter (I know it might not be apparent for a while, but it's the thought that counts.)

I really dislike winter, not so much for the low temperatures but for the endless darkness.

Sounds like you would like Ga.  The days are shorter, dark by six p.m but we still see quite a bit of sun.  Few of those dreary cloudy damp days that I remember in England.

So, there I was waiting for the sun to go down in the corner of the mountain called Morven (Today is the day that the sun sets right in the bottom left corner of the mountain).   Bright sunshine all day and just minutes before sunset - a bloody great cloud appeared in the spot where the sun was due to set. Worse still, it disappeared just moments after sunset! GRRRRR!

'er indoors bought me a sonic cleaner for my birthday so that I could clean bits and bobs with ease. When she asked what I would like for Xmas I said "A can of cleaning fluid to go with the cleaner you bought me for my birthday." So she looked it up and came back to me with "I can't get you that....it only costs a few pounds; it would be much of a present."  I argued that it is what I want and I'd rather have that than an expensive gift that I neither need nor want.  No good though, there's a bag of presents by the tree and there's only me in the house - unless she's inviting loads of guests around for Xmas morning gift giving!

• Upvote 1
On 12/21/2019 at 4:45 PM, oldphil said:

doxycycline it is. nipped out anyway, and nothing untoward

My next door neighbour is a retired Nurse, who has been a theatre sister, matron and other roles over her working life.  When I told her I was avoiding the Sun becuase I was on Doxycyline, she told me that she's been abroad with her daughters and loads of other young girls all lying about in the Mediterranean sun and all on Doxycycline to prevent stomach bugs etc.  None had a reaction.  Not sure I'd risk that.. but I  don't think daylight is likely to be a problem unless you tan/burn very very easily

My dearest wife has spent a lot of money on my  present and its on something I will eventually use. Being a down to earth born and bred Hucknalite she doesn't waste money and I hope there isn't a hidden meaning in my present. She gave me this large envelope and in it is a Prepaid Funeral Plan, whilst thankful for this I hope I don't use it for a long time yet. LOL

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, trogg said:

My dearest wife 

Your dearest wife? Do you have so many you have to rank them by price??   :blink:

• Like 5

I remember them very well but I think the recipe has been changed since the days when we bought them by the quarter from large screw-topped jars at the sweetie shop. At one time, I believe, they contained chloroform, as did Benylin cough mixture. Addictive! 

• Like 1

I also remember them, and used to love em. I thought that they tasted differently, the last time I had a packet. Must have been the lack of chloroform!, Although the missus never answered me, when I asked her if the rag i was holding up to her nose, smelt of chloroform !!

• Like 3

I remember very well chloroform being used in Victory V and in a number of other products - including toothpaste because it had a sweet taste and didn't cause tooth decay as sugar does.

Then some spoilsport "scientist" came along and said that chloroform was a carcinogen so governments banned it.

I once worked with a lady whose elderly uncle was literally addicted to Benylyn Cough Medicine. He had a large suitcase full of bottles of the stuff and never went anywhere without it.  My sister used to scoff bags full of Victory Vs when she was a child. She's 70 next year and doesn't seem to have come to any harm. However, Waddo is correct, they don't taste the same as they once did.

Last packet of Vs I  bought were 3 years ago in Boots, Norwich.

Talking of addictions, a Radiographer I  worked with was addicted to Sinex nasal spray. He could get through a bottle a day !

Talking of Christmas presents, I  bought my wife a new chair,  but she wouldn't  plug it in.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, HSR said:

is kebab meat the new turkey?

I think you can get kebab meat in 'Turkey !! Been to the original Turkey, where is the new one?smile2

• Like 1

Do Hall's Mentholyptus still exist? Hard, clear sugar sweets with a powerful menthol and eucalyptus flavour - they certainly cleared your tubes!

They used to be sold loose by the quarter (pound) but I seem to  remember they changed over to a square shape in paper tubes (a bit like Spangles).