Sherwood Lane Circa 1890

Hello All,

One set of my great-grandparents were living at 12 Sherwood Lane Nottingham at the time of the 1891 census.

The Civil Parish is St Mary, the Municipal Ward is St Ann and Ecclesiastical  Parish or district is St Stephen.

Sherwood Lane Nottingham does not exist on any modern maps, (according to the Google & Bing map searches) and I haven't been able to find it on the old maps between 1888 & 1940.

Can someone enlighten me as to where Sherwood Lane was located.

Thanks in Advance

George

Will a written description do ?

Sherwood Lane was off Charlotte Street, which disappeared when Victoria Station was built, so it's now under Vic Centre.

In today's terms, starting at the Clock Tower, it was parallel to Milton Street going towards Parliament Street.

There's a lot more work went into  building that station than ever i imagined. All to be lost to a pile of concrete that won't have anything like the emotion of the station. Utter sacrilege!!

Always fascinated me that 'trough'...when I left Nottingham in '97 I think it was was 'untouched' ..step out the bus station..wow! If I remember correctly the right hand side was like a rock face..a little more than spoil..

....after all the ingenuity and work why couldn't such things be incorporated into modern infrastructure...

• 2 weeks later...