Top names in Nottingham

According to Notts County Council, these are the favourite names given to newly-registered births in the County during the past year.

1.  Olivia

2.  Isla

3.  Amelia

4.  Ava

5.  Grace

6.  Charlotte

7.  Evelyn

8.  Emily

9.  Ivy

10.  Sophie

1.  George

2.  Oliver

3.  Jack

4.  Harry

5.  Alfie

6.  Charlie

7.  Freddie

8.  Henry

9.  Arthur

10.  Archie

Interesting how fashions change. When I was at school, most of those names were regarded as "old people's names" and there were very few pupils in my  time with any of those names.

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at that list ct, i don't feel old now. My names not on it, you hoo. I reckon the girls list you got from Ben's marriage certificates !

Not a Kayleigh, Sky, Precious, Mercedes, Angel, Butch, Stallone or Mohammed in sight! 

I used to hate my middle name, but as i got older i tended to use it with my first name. Then when I married i requied the surname Dawn. When I first joined nottstalgia I used my middle name as n

Looking at that list ct, i don't feel old now. My names not on it, you hoo. I reckon the girls list you got from Ben's marriage certificates !

• Like 3

You're right CT we thought of those names as old fashioned.

The list for my birth year (1945), reads:

It's from here: ...

https://www.babycenter.com/top-baby-names-1945.htm

1 Mary James
2 Linda Robert
3 Barbara John
4 Patricia William
5 Carol Richard
6 Sandra David
7 Nancy Charles
8 Sharon Thomas
9 Judith Michael
10 Susan Ronald

Interesting..I had a 94 year old neighbour called Ida who sadly died 8 year's ago. My newish neighbours have a child of the same name aged two!

When I looked into my family tree I found lots of Eliza's and Elizabeth's, not one Victoria, thought this a little strange considering it was the Victorian era.

Edit.. also, quite a few Mary's, more often than not, followed by the second name Ann.

Yes, Ida is making a comeback and I knew several elderly ones as a child.

There are no Victorias in my family tree either! Lots of Elizabeths, Sarahs, Lucys, Esthers, Marys, Mary Anns and Cordelias. Recurring male names are Louis, Daniel, William, Albert, Horace, Samuel, George and Harry.

I don't have children but if I did I would have given them names from the family tree. 

One thing I discovered when doing family history....the annoying habit in some families of constantly reusing the same first name over and over again. It makes it very difficult and complicated to work out which member of the family you are looking at. It also seems to show a lack of imagination and variety.

On my mothers side, there were always several males (of varying ages) named Robert, so on a census or electoral register, it wasn't immediately obvious which version of Robert I was looking at.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Waddo said:

One Mother-in law,,,Two Father in Laws,,,Nine girlfriends....One ex wife........:rolleyes:

• Like 2

In my family, for the last 100 years (or possibly more) the children have always been named after their parents but only as a second name... their first names are original.   My second name is Kathleen after my mum, and our daughter's second name is Kate.   One of our sons has a second name of Paul and the other son has Anthony, which is Paul's second name .... 

In our daughter in law's family all the girls have Louise as a second name and this tradition has followed on with all their girl children.

i think it's nice to keep a name going through the generations ..

Anyone know how the custom of having a middle name started? Seems rather a waste of time if it's never used although I confess both my kids carry two forenames.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

One thing I discovered when doing family history....the annoying habit in some families of constantly reusing the same first name over and over again. It makes it very difficult and complicated to work out which member of the family you are looking at. It also seems to show a lack of imagination and variety.

On my mothers side, there were always several males (of varying ages) named Robert, so on a census or electoral register, it wasn't immediately obvious which version of Robert I was looking at.

Just follow it far enough and 'Bob's yer uncle.'  Sorry couldn't resist it.  ;)

We've got lots of Richards in my family.  My second name, my dad's  first.  I can't use it without thinking of Mrs. Bucket, "Oh! don't be silly, Richard."

We only gave our daughters one name each we really didn't agree on others.  I think that they think we short changed 'em.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Anyone know how the custom of having a middle name started? Seems rather a waste of time if it's never used

That's what I've always thought. It's like buying something and then putting it away in a cupboard forever.

Neither my sister or I have a middle name; my father did, but my mum didn't.

A middle name is useful when you’ve got a first name that you don’t like.

My husband has NEVER been known by his first name, which he’s pleased about as it’s awful, goodness knows what his parents were thinking when they put it on his birth certificate.   He’s always used his middle name and did in fact manage to get his passport changed about 40 years ago and since then it only shows his middle name.  The only time his first name appears is on communications from Inland Revenue.  

• Like 1

When at school hated my middle name,,Benjamin.

Then when i was about 21, really thought about it,, its my Dad and Grandads first name,,and they were both lovely men,,and i decided to use Benjamin quite often,,now prefer it to my first name,,think they would both be pleased, 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LizzieM said:

A middle name is useful when you’ve got a first name that you don’t like.

Legally you can call yourself whatever you fancy, with certain provisos. Call me what you like so long as it's not late for dinner!

If you want to have your name/s changed on a legal document a deed poll costs about £15..

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjZ9c23p9bmAhWNtO0KHe5fB-sYABADGgJkZw&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoXwE9JOnKc154zEhvXr8ZFmU&sig=AOD64_0fMMlVtrFJApUg8l3lKMQSLDPd1g&q=&ved=2ahUKEwi43Ma3p9bmAhVTolwKHTMiB8wQ0Qx6BAgTEAE&adurl=

I didn't really like the idea of naming children after their parents and grandparents but, my husband named our daughter after my permission ! He loves the name Deborah and wanted to add Sara after his mother called Rosaria ( Sara to everyone) I named my son James and Malcolm after my father. James happened to be my grandfathers name and 2 generations back but I liked the name James and it was only afterwards I realized it was after the gf and 2 gg fathers.  I don't like shortening names either and don't use it unless I've been introduced to people using a shortened name.

I've always used my middle name, even when I signed planned maintenance sheets, which are legal documents, it's hard to get out of the habit of a lifetime. This side of the pond you're required to sign legal documents as your name appears on your B/C, but I've slipped back into my old habit. Nobody has contested it. I've never been called anything else but John, or you awkward Bas*&%#...LOL

• Upvote 1

I got talking to a pleasant woman a while ago. I was with my very cute granddaughter in her pushchair and she asked her name. She then told me her name was Zerafinna. I thought she may have foreign heritage and said that’s unusual, where does it come from. She told me it wasn’t her original name but she’d changed it by deed poll and had heard it on Star Trek and liked it. I then asked her what her original name was which she told me was Britney after Britney Spears. It seemed she changed her legal name frequently. I never did get to her birth name. 

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Top names in Nottingham