Top names in Nottingham

Both granddads were Walter and that's my middle name. Wonder if that one returns?

Our youngest Great grandson is a Benjamin - great name that!

I still don't understand why it is necessary to have double barrelled surnames following marriage? One of our grandsons and our granddaughter in law did this, resulting in our great granddaughter having the longest name at school.

Why worry about our middle names? Just look at pedigree dogs and cats! 

• Like 2
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Looking at that list ct, i don't feel old now. My names not on it, you hoo. I reckon the girls list you got from Ben's marriage certificates !

Not a Kayleigh, Sky, Precious, Mercedes, Angel, Butch, Stallone or Mohammed in sight! 

I used to hate my middle name, but as i got older i tended to use it with my first name. Then when I married i requied the surname Dawn. When I first joined nottstalgia I used my middle name as n

• 1 year later...

My Paternal granddad's name was Joseph, obviously shortened to Joe. Fits well, when you look at my Surname !

I also have a cousin whose name is Lee. (his parents were bloody cruel).

I kid you not.

Been reading about the origin of the name Nobby.........Apparently its from Norbet and several other loose connections...such as Clark....so i reckon its only in Nottingham that Greens are commonly called Nobby's........

Pound of Nobby Greens Madam?.........

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Our new grandson is called Henry John William. Good proper names!

Or may be called...Harry Jack Bill.

• Upvote 1

My first grandson was christened Thomas and we were not allowed to call him Tom, we were reminded numerous times. When he started school it all changed his mother gave up as all his school friends and teachers called him Tom, we inwardly laughed as we then made every opportunity to call him Tom.

An old friend of mine, Dick, a divorcee remarried later in life. His new wife didn’t like Dick (the name that is!) so we had to address him as Richard in her presence. I’ve always been Phil. If I was ever addressed as Philip I knew I had done something wrong!

My good lady's proper name is Christine, though everybody knew/knows her as Tina. It wasn't until we were engaged before I found out. Transpires that as a toddler she couldn't say Christine, so she took off the Chris bit.

Like Phil, if anybody called her Christine, she knew she was in trouble.

I knew a girl called Ramsbottom but can’t remember anyone being rude about it - I never thought anything about the name at all. It was just a surname to me.....

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Top names in Nottingham

I used to hate my middle name, but as i got older i tended to use it with my first name. Then when I married i requied the surname Dawn.

When I first joined nottstalgia I used my middle name as not sure what the site involved and what the people on the site were like.

So I will introduce myself  (a couple of members do know my full  name) High All            I'm Sue how do you do.

real name

Susan Mary Dawn.

Must  addmit love the site and a great thanks to addmin for doing all the work. Now come on you lot I'm not creeping  opps better not for get all members thanks for just being there as friends.

ps I was given the name Mary by my brother.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1