I didn’t go but my wife did. As far as she recalls it was Bateman Street or close to it and through a door up some stairs hence the name. She cannot recall what exactly the place was but may have been above a conservative club, labour club etc. It’s a long time ago now and memories fade.

I thought it was above the Clock pub (Avenue Hotel) where I seem to recall a door on the side leading straight to some stairs which went straight to the top room without going in the pub but she says that wasn’t it. She’s usually right in such matters.

I do remember waiting on the street at the bottom of the stairs for her to come out. For some reason I recall one time in particular when  ‘I Heard it through the grapevine’ was playing. Why I recall that specifically and not other times so well I can’t say.

Thanks, Letsavagoo - yes, it was definitely up some stairs (you're right, that's how it got it's name).  I remember they played a lot of reggae (Desmond Dekker, Max Romeo, Pioneers) as well as the chart stuff of the day.

It was certainly in that area, Stuart - thank you.