I’ve heard the name but not heard his ‘music’ until Desert Island Discs this morning. I tried to sing along without success. Am I missing something? 

Phil I have never heard the name ,so I listened to a couple of his "songs or music" I don't know the correct name or is it ramblings. If you find out the missing something will you let me know what it is. Bring back the Beatles, billy Fury etc.

Nah  ! Bring back Al Martino, Nelson Eddy and Janette  MacDonald, Trogg.

I am slightly more aware of Stormzy.  I've seen him interviewed etc., and he comes across as very intelligent and a  decent sort.

It seems to me that most of us here are in the same position re: Stormzy's music, as our parents and Grandparents were in the early 1960's re: The Beatles and the Stones.  Our Grandparents were mostly born in the Victorian era, and, via their own parents.. absorbed culture and morality from mid Victorian times.  They really didn't have much hope of 'getting' the Beatles and the Stones and I don't suppose many of us can 'get' Stormzy and similar artists.

I gave up on most of what 'Da Yoof' listen to years ago.  I use a simple test.  Does the music move me.  Mostly it doesn't and at my age I don't have time to waste on trying to like music that doesn't immediately 'grab' me. Plus.. I'm still exploring a lot of music from my own era and earlier.. that I missed first time around.

However, this doesn't make the music of Stormzy or similar 'bad'.  It's just beyond our comprehension.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Nah  ! Bring back Al Martino, Nelson Eddy and Janette  MacDonald, Trogg.

Nah!.. Bring back Dick Haymes, Helen Forrest and Al Bowlly..  :biggrin:

• Like 1

Why do most of todays singers sound as if they are crying and whining..............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve heard the name but not heard his ‘music’ until Desert Island Discs this morning. I tried to sing along without success. Am I missing something? 

Yes, about 50 years!       smile2

• Like 1

Stormzy - nice fella - not a musician - he talks over a push button backing track.

7 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Why do most of todays singers sound as if they are crying and whining..............

Because they are crying and whining!!!