"Migrating" websites

It is a long story but I have ended up managing a website for a society I belong to. A very fast and steep learning curve considering that I have never set up a website! The webmaster who set it up (then left) lived in the USA and it was hosted in the USA. This meant that the site had to be migrated from hosting in the USA to the UK with a new domain name. Did that. The hosting company were awesome! Very helpful customer service with online conversations that had a ticket number so when I went back with another question they had all the background. All went well. Then I discovered that some links are broken in the new site as they point back at the old domain name. The old domain name is registered with a different provider to the hosting. So far I have managed to update the contacts on the domain account but I cannot get a pointer onto that domain to direct visitors to the new domain. The website software is Joomla. I am about to ask Joomla help desk at the hosting site how to do a global fix for all these links in the "media" section of Joomla. I have edited individual HTML but the changes will not save after I log out of the site. Joomla is something of a challenge to work with and our society has voted to move to Wordpress. A good idea. This is where I have questions for our experts on Nottstalgia!

1. Has anyone out there migrated a site straight from Joomla to Wordpress? The hosting company can do this but I am wondering what it will look like when it is migrated to Wordpress. 

2. In your experience would it be better to migrate this huge Joomla site to Wordpress then edit it to suit us or to set up a Wordpress site and then have to upload/copy a huge number of files from the old site to the new one?

3. Has anyone out there used Joomla and if so do you have any tips please?

It is good to be back in touch, reading the interesting posts on Nottstalgia. A very welcome break from domains, hosting, links and HTML!

• Like 1

BS, I hope you get a reply which can answer your questions, but I suspect your post will have seemed like a foreign language to most people.

I know a bit about websites, hosting, and HTML, but I wouldn't begin to know the answers to your questions.

If I were you, I'd stick to Nottstalgia (and maybe Facebook). ;)

• Like 1

I've a lot of experience building web sites, running forums, but never migrated a site from one server to another.

Best person to ask is Mick, he's migrated this site from at least three different hosts that I'm aware of.

I'll contact him for you, and see what he say's.

• Like 1

Straight change of server, is done by the gaining host, no problem once the address propagates to all DNS servers.

https://mxtoolbox.com/

Its changing the language that is the problem.

Joomla is just one language of many.

You should be able to get into the Server admin panel, re Joomla and others

Nottstalgia runs on a system called Invisionpower

• Like 1

You can host a site on any server in the world, not just the country you live in.

If you PM me the site address I can look to see how it stands at the moment

• Like 1

A big thanks to everyone who responded. Very helpful. It is good to know I am not on my own!

We had to migrate because our previous webmaster used SiteGround hosting and registered in USA. They sent me an explanation about not having the legal structure to host from their USA branch. We moved to the UK/EU one. I did ask them about the effect of Brexit and they said no problem!  It looks like SiteGround are an umbrella company with sites all over the world. Anyway, they have been wonderful and I like their "ticket" system for customer services as they can keep track of progress. Our domain name was registered in the USA with a different company (I do not know why!) and they let me change the registration without any problem.