Know anything about Gedling addresses c. 1911?

Hi,

I'm not from Nottingham, but my dad is. He still does the accent when he gets excited! I'm trying to find out a bit about my Grandma and her childhood because she was always a bit vague about it, even to dad. 

I know she was born in Gedling, but the address given on all official documents was simply

Rosa Villa

Gedling

R.D.

Just wondering where that would have been, given there's no road name,  and if it still exists now.  The family were there in 1911, I'm not sure when exactly they moved out. There was some big family tragedy there in 1915 that I'm still finding out about...

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

This might add a bit of confusion, but there is no Station Road in Gedling (as we know it today) and as far as I know there never has been, but there is a Station Road in nearby Netherfield/Carlton.

Over the years, the idea of what is Carlton/Netherfield/Gedling has changed and moved.

This is the Station Road in Carlton and some houses have names (this example isn't Rosa Villa, but I haven't checked them al).  https://goo.gl/maps/AMwZkcAaJ18ycwaX7

• Like 1

Unless there was more than one Rosa Villa in Gedling , a Samuel and Lois Godfrey lived there in 1911 . 

The previous properties on the census were Conway Villa   Gedling Rd and before that a Chesterfield Villa, Gedling Rd . 

As CT says these could have been the edge of Carlton and later became Main Rd .

• Like 1

If you are indeed connected with the Godfrey family, there is a member of a Facebook group, the “Gedling Village Local History & Preservation group” who has extensive details of that family.

• Like 1

Rob , Angela on the Gedling page is aware of this thread and is checking out that family ,  though they don't appear to be directly related to her . 

She is also a member of this board .

• Upvote 1

Rosa Villa..Rings a bell with me..was it off to the left of main St ?

What was the name of the building

Looked like a cottage..directly facing Rex Robbo on Main Rd/Burton Rd?...just asking.,.

Running parallel with a row of very smart properties..there was a track at the bottom of Westdale Lane. down to the church.take a right after the Chinese..

Thanks so much for the help. 

I'm afraid all I know is that the Hitching family had moved in by April 2012 (when my Grandma was born). So there would have been Louis Henry and Ada Lily at least.  I think his mother,  Elizabeth was also there,  and maybe a sister or two.  They moved out again at some point past- war. I found out that Ada and her newborn died at the address in june/July 1915.

I'm really sorry,  I don't know anything else.  Grandma never wanted to say much about her childhood,  but dad vaguely remembers that it was troubled (perhaps relating to her mother passing?). She ran away from home a lot as a young teen, trying to train as a nurse. They let her in early in the end. 

I was just curious as it seems it was a lovely village and I wondered why Grandma would end up running a cafe on Upper Parliament Street.

I really really appreciate your help,  Dad and me are planning a trip back (he's Notts to the backbone, really) and we want to try to understand Grandma a bit better. She died of dementia about 20 years ago and was a very popular,  lively lady before that.  We still miss her. 

(The directions from HSR are genius- I've got an old map and will be checking it out ;) )

Thanks again,  you lovely people!

Brilliant CT . Also shown are the Conway and Chesterfield Villas as mentioned on the 1911 Census .

By a weird coincidence I know that Wool shop and the accommodation above . My girlfriend at school in the 60s lived there ! 

• Like 1

Before it was made into shops you can just see the top of the Villas and when they still had garden walls .

https://picturethepast.org.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/dchq503337/posterid/dchq503337.html

There were two Hitching deaths in 1915 in Basford district (in which Gedling comes under at that time ) but they were in different quarters .

John Wilson Hitching aged 0 died April/May or June Qtr 1915

Ada Lily Hitching aged 27 died July/Aug/Sept Qtr 1915 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Brilliant CT . Also shown are the Conway and Chesterfield Villas as mentioned on the 1911 Census .

By a weird coincidence I know that Wool shop and the accommodation above . My girlfriend at school in the 60s lived there ! 

And one of the Conway villas later became Simons Records. A regular stopping off point for me on the way to/from Carlton le Willows.

• Like 1

Thank you so much,  you have all been phenomenally helpful.  Just following directions and looking up street view I can see it still has a strong village-vibe and you get an impression of it at the time when Grandma was little. Are many of the buildings in Gedling that sort of age/ older?

• Like 1

The house on the corner of Westdale Lane and Main Rd, must have been demolished  in the 1950s for some reason, even though on the photograph it still looks in good condition. Not sure of the photo date. The name of the house on CTs map is Pembroke Houses.  

I didn't know the name, so thanks for the info CT. The place holds many happy memories of my childhood, playing in the remains of the garden. No one seemed to mind us being there? Today Elf ans Safety would have it all closed off. SueB48, was my playmate and I'm sure she will have more memories of the house and gardens.This would have been in the 1950s, many moons ago. 

• Like 3

CT, you should get some soft of award for your ability of solve other folks dilemmas, genius, just genius. Not taking away contributions from other nottstalgians, but how you come up with the photos and maps just beggers belief, well from me anyway.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Most of the houses on Main Road Gedling appear to be villas CT map looks like it ends

at Albert St. You got access to the  back gardens of the houses from Westdale Lane to Albert St

from an entry of Albert St. I lived in a row of houses just down from there and they were villas

but for the life of me I can't remember the name it was never used in the address.

• Like 1

Great Great Grandparents lived briefly for the time (7 years) roughly behind what became Rosa Villa... the track I mentioned. Right at the Chinese! ;)Returned to where they had been for 250 years to my knowledge.. 8 years later.. farm failing truly embraced the industrial revolution..:(

Personally I have never been to Gedling..only on the 'Mr Google tour bus' Hope it OK to post on the more intimate threads.