For those who remember the Star and Garter at Hazleford many years ago I’ve just read in the Newark Advertiser that the old landlady, Muriel Wanless, wife of the late Terry, has died, aged 98, in the Southwell Court care home. The Star was a good riverside pub in its day but is now a care home.

Got to agree with you there Phil, it was a good place, used to go there quite a lot. i think I posted about one of my ventures there once whilst --A) due to my lack of driving experience and B) some misinformation from my navigator/accompanying driver, didn't make it on my last visit and was also one minivan less !!

I remember the mid week heavy rock disco at the Star and Garter - gang of us on the bikes till late, then a mad ride back to the Lion in Calvo for the last orders.   !!

Muriel and Terry were neighbours of my parents in Thurgarton, and good friends; Terry worked in the weighbridge at Hoveringham Gravels after he left the Star and Garter.