Scan opened to replace the Farmers shop in the Market Square. I left Farmers not long before it closed. Most of the staff transferred from Farmers to Scan and they were quite excited about the move. Some of the staff moved to Griffin and Spalding as Debenhams also owned that store. It was mostly the staff who worked on the materials counters (silks, cottons and curtains) who went to Griffin and Spalding. Happy memories of working with good colleagues. Mr Dean was the manager at Farmers. A nice gentleman. He retired when the shop closed and there was a photo in the Nottingham Post of him being presented with a television as a retirement gift. My mum sent me the cutting and I still have this in my  "archives"!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

2 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

Scan opened to replace the Farmers shop in the Market Square. I left Farmers not long before it closed. Most of the staff transferred from Farmers to Scan and they were quite excited about the move. 

What did Farmers sell ?  For some reason I thought they were clothing - or maybe I just assumed it for no reason. And were Scan just a general mainly-food supermarket ?

Clements are still in an old Church on Lenton Blvd where they've been for a good few years now.

Don't know if they also have a shop elswhere.

Castle Blvd / Derby Rd to the rear of photo.

Ilkeston road pictured with the bus heading to Raleigh Island that was;

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.9551324,-1.1755177,3a,75y,307.41h,82.81t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZHJpzJL5nN950tVQF9mOrQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

When their shop at the bottom of Derby Road, near the Albert Hall, closed down, it was much missed. I obtained all my sheet music from there, including all the Associated Board theory papers and examination music. I still have two plaster busts of Bach and Beethoven which were given to me as birthday presents when I was at school. Both came from Clements. If they didn't have music in stock, they would order it and within days it was available.

• Like 1

Just looking at one of the first records I ever bought C1960 - A 78 'At the Jazzband Ball' by Bix Beiderbecke.

The plain brown sleeve is stamped SAUNDERS & PAPWORTH Music Co Ltd. 32 Alfreton Rd. I can't remember that shop?

On 1/28/2020 at 7:05 PM, Cliff Ton said:

What did Farmers sell ?  For some reason I thought they were clothing - or maybe I just assumed it for no reason. And were Scan just a general mainly-food supermarket ?

Farmers sold clothing and fabrics. They had departments: ladies clothing, haberdashery, paper patterns, fancy goods (gloves and gift ware), materials (silks, cottons and curtain materials), children's clothing, underwear (two departments, one downstairs with modern things and upstairs the laced up corsets and long johns) and also a household linens department. In those days department stores had stock rooms. At Farmers it was like a rabbit warren! As a student working there in the holidays I spent time in every department except those selling material by the yard. This needed special training, My favourite was doing the stock taking for paper patterns!

Scan was a large supermarket. They sold a lot of household goods. There was no material by the yard. We bought a number of items from there for our house when we were getting married. I never worked at Scan as by that time I was leaving Nottingham to get married and also starting full time, permanent employment.

It is nice to share memories of Farmers. Happy days.

• Like 2

I remember going into Farmer's as a child. They had Ladybird children's wear. The place was on various different levels with odd steps everywhere so you needed to look where you were going. Creaky staircases too.

My sister bought fabric from there for her sewing projects when she was at Peveril.  Sadly, those kind of shops are long gone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

What was the name of the hi-fi shop on Market street? Next to Selectadisc.

I remember Laskys, part of the council house, they always used Dark Side and Tubular bells to demonstrate their products.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:47 PM, AlanB said:

Was it Pearson's that used to have a large music section and sold Hammond and other organs? My Dad used to love going in there to browse and he eventually bought an organ of his own (second hand though, not from Pearsons).

I remember Selectadisc too, I bought quite a few albums from there.

Also I remember the man who worked in menswear at the Co Op. He had the mannerisms of Mr Humphries in Are You Being Served!

Another shop I remember was the first supermarket to open at the far end of the Victoria Centre, I think it was called Scan (?). I had a Saturday job there collecting trolleys but I only lasted a few weeks as I had trouble steering them in a straight line!

Hi new member welcome must admit can't remember the first supermarket you mention  the one that i can remember is "Macfishers" which was near or next to  Wetherspoons in the Market Square in fact near the tra; stop i now think it is/was RBS.

"Macfisheries" Mary. On the South side of the square, (where the trams stop). There used to be 2 or 3 NCT bus stops there but for the life of me, I can't recall their destinations.

Apart from that, " Good morning".