• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

The Cinema was at the rear of the shops where the car park / offices are now.

The entrance to it was where the Car park entrance is now to the right of Giardino, vehicle  access is off Parliament St where Pearsons back entrance used to be.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9546274,-1.1512201,3a,75y,240.41h,96.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s66iUStGyJp-jr2uXgTjaSw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.9548126,-1.1523452,3a,90y,138.34h,93.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHs37R8nNJcZYzsPaulkqjg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

24 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The one and only film I saw at The Scala was ‘Mon Oncle’, a virtually silent movie starring Jaques Tati, the French comedian.  Very funny if you can find it anywhere. 

I have a box set of Tati films. I'm not one for watching films more than once, but I've lost count of how many times I've watched Mon Oncle and M Hulot's Holiday.

• Like 1

Back to long lost shops?

"Beecrofts" every boy and girl went here for bits and piceces or even modles

"Woolworths " every thig cost 6d long before my time but i remember the large brown counters and them chadeliers. Keep Del boy away.

"C n A " Model fashions, 

"CO_OP" on Parliment St with its revolivng doors

"Waring and Gilow" sold class furniture

"Baker n Plum"  Derby Rd  cash only shop'

"Giffins and Spalding " very high class shop used to finish work at 4 00 on a Wednesday had to catch bus home in the square, but had to go  into Griffings just to walk on there carpet which to me was about 3" thick. at that time fitted carpets were not the norm.

"Tobys"  sold very best china table tea and dinner sevices.

"Persons"  also anther classy shop.

Hello Looby Loo ! I do believe you're right. I ought to remember as I used to be a conductor on 40/47 Wilford road. That was back in1962 when I were a lad working out of Carter gate bus depot, before I moved up to Bilborough depot. Had some happy times then, running across the road to the square side to grab a bacon roll from the NCT mobile canteen. Happy Days.

Do you remember Cavendish? Opposite the Odeon. When we were getting married, we went in Cavendish and was looking at some furniture. I asked, "What sort of furniture could we get with a £70. deposit"?

The guy said, " Blimey, for £70 you can have the bloody store"!

We didnt buy the store though, just a bed bed and three piece suite etc.

Recall a place, roughly, facing the Angel Row llibary called 'What every body wants ' real tat clothing, but you could, going through a 'maze' of small rooms and a staircase end up on Parliament St...

2 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Waring and Gilow" sold class furniture

"Baker n Plum"  Derby Rd  cash only shop

Inderectly, I know both those names Mary,

Mum still makes a point of pointing out that my inherited dining table is G plan ! 

Must confess, lovely pice of smoked glass and iconic..

Watched Abigail's Party about three months ago, I'd love to own that sofa!

• Like 1

Cavendish Woodhouse had a terrible reputation for poor quality furniture. Sit on it twice and it fell apart!  I'm sure there's none around today. It just couldn't have lasted that long.  I think most of it was held together with elastic bands.

Their shop eventually became What Everyone Wants. Another pile of shoddy goods but one could, as has been pointed out, take an alternative route to the Arcade from Long Row to Parliament Street via several staircases within what had once been the furniture store.

Does anyone know what occupies it now?

Like to know myself Jill, I do remember if you approached from the Parliment St side,  it did make an attempt to sell wallpaper. The set of stairs was on the extreme right hand side, little more than a set of ladder's  wide!

Recall a long corridor area that sold haberdashery, perfume counter as a backdrop, to the left, a small area for footwear. Interesting building, had ceiling high drawers and cupboards in places.

I used to like going up thoes stairs now an escalator the shop up their were/was amazing. it was like Aladdin's cave.

9 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Cavendish Woodhouse had a terrible reputation for

I beg to differ. We bought some furniture from there and it lasted for years. We bought what we could afford and we were choosy what we did purchase, including, bed, wardrobe, 3 pc suite and sideboard. Couldn't get much else as we started married life in a flat on Burford Road, off Berridge Road. There wasn't an awful lot of room, but it was ours. Rent...57/6d per week.

I worked for a firm of solicitors in the 70s where one of the staff dealt purely with complaints and claims against Cavendish Woodhouse. It was mainly 3 piece suites and beds, often defective when delivered and the company was refusing to replace or repair the item.

It was, I believe, quite an old firm and quite possibly its merchandise had been better constructed in earlier years but by the 70s and 80s, it had become a byword for badly manufactured goods. It suddenly disappeared in the 80s.

Nottingham Scientific Exchange. A very interesting shop for the engineering fraternity. Think it's been mentioned before somewhere. They were originally on Peveril St them moved to a corner shop on Derby Rd just up from Hooleys. I lived 2 doors down from the Ingles on Peveril St in the 40's and 50's. 

5 hours ago, radfordred said:

West End Arcade

Other way round @mary1947 it was an escalator until that youth lost his toe, it's now stairs! 

I did not know that it's age's since I have been in to Nott's what i would give at the  moment just to walk arond town.