• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Yes, it was Clowes  before MFI.

I have a vague memory of it being a Texas DIY store and it having a big fire sale once... maybe I'm dreaming though...

On 11/29/2020 at 10:06 AM, Beekay said:

"Macfisheries" Mary. On the South side of the square, (where the trams stop). There used to be 2 or 3 NCT bus stops there but for the life of me, I can't recall their destinations.

Apart from that, " Good morning".

Hi Barry, it was all the West Bridgford services that went from South Parade, 11, 12, 14, 21 & 24 uses it as their town centre terminus

Cheers DDB. Must admit though, we're looking back 58 years, so the mind starts to fog up a bit. After training, in civvies with a regular conductor and getting my uniform and badge, I went with a trolleybus driver who was aware I was a novice. His name was Pete and he was very patient with me. I've been wracking my brains to try and remember the route through the city after passing the Palais and Central Market. Can't think which way after entering Parliament Street. I'm pretty sure we went along South parade, but because of all the changes I'm lost. I know we went onto Wilford Road and down to the terminus at the Toll Bridge. Grotty trollies but Happy days. Barrie.

Hi Beeky 

40/47 trolly bus went from the Palais turned up George St top of George st turned right into city centre then after passing Farmer's drapery shop snd exchange walk turned left went past Marks /Spencers  contiued past C/A round the Walter Fountain (which later became a roundabout) then past Woolworths the past Sherwood Rooms turning on to Castle Bol then left down Wilford St then Wilford rd bottom of Wilfred rd turned around the road Island which used to have an ice cream van on then came back into town, The 40 Trolly went to Wilford Rd from top of The Wells road. then went back again The 47 only went half way it would only go back up to St Anns and would turn around at Ransom Rd formely Coppice Rd,   Hope this helps jog your memory B  

just a little question you was not one of those conductors who would see you running to catch the bus and just as you got near would shout "hold tight"  and ring the bell, and no matter how hard you  ran  the bus pulled away befoe you had got on it.    

xx

Long Lost Shops ?

Just look back what shops we had before Vic and Broad Marsh centre.

What about "BURTONS" under the council house you could not get a better shop than that, it was like having A Nottingham Harrods and John Lewis another classy shop. as before in a post i have mentiond a few but I forgot Sisson n Parkers and old faith-full Boots still with us, but alas no longer British. Also John Collier,  Burtons ,were you can remember boys you could pick your material be mesured and have silk lining in you jackets, 2 piece suits or 3 piece suits all for £5 00    A  bit like Savile Row Tailors

The only shop we have left and the owners lived on Robin Hood Chase St Ann's is "HOPWELLS" furniture store , another local firm allthough not quite a shop to visit to often ,  is   A W LYMN Family Funeral Service,   These 2 business have being serving Nottm for years.

The point that I am trying to say is!!!    our city is not the same any more, we don't have much going for us.

At on time Nottingham was called Queen of the Midlands  Why don't councils look after our city and make us proud?

• Like 2

Reminded by this site, Tandy, upstairs in Vic Centre, similar shop to Maplins if i recall, roughly next door there was a Toy Shop, the name came to me a few months ago, did I write it down..No! 

Other than the fact It was one word.

Clueless!:mellow:

5 hours ago, Beekay said:

parade, but because of all the changes I'm lost.

While I have no personal recollection of what your talking about BK., I do see what your saying. Haven't visited Nottingham since 1997, really struggle with Shakespeare St & Talbot, look for a focal point, occasionally a church is a saviour. Was looking at Alfreton Rd recently, ended up using a old 1920's photo and brickwork for a reference!

Just one shop would be a great help...

HSR, whereas I've no problem getting around Nottingham (when allowed), last December we went for a fleeting visit via the tram from Toton and I was amazed by the changes. The thing that's bugging me is a bit like an earworm, for some reason or other I feel the need to find out the trolley route of the 40/47, Wells Road to Wilford Road. It's bugging me that I can't recall the route through the centre. Because it was my first solo route, I'll always have fond memories. Changes like Denman Street for example, it used to run from St.Peters St., all the way up to past Highurst St. Now it's just bits, broken up by houses. One surprise I had was finding Kyme St was still there, with the old leather factory still there. That led down to Grant St., where Melissa's mum lived. I would pass those two council houses, (the only two I'd ever seen) on the way to Douglas school. Gonna finish now before repeating myself.

Thanks CT. It looks like the 40/47 came up Parliament St., turned left down Queen St.,, passed in front of the council house and turned right on to South parade before turning left on to Listergate, then again it gets confusing. When reaching the Sawyers arms and Woolworths, did it continue on to Canal St. and turn right or did it veer right at Woolworths past what was Barry Noble's entertainment?? Somebody will enlighten me. Don't know why but it's driving barmy.  :blink:

1 hour ago, Beekay said:

Thanks CT. It looks like the 40/47 came up Parliament St., turned left down Queen St.,, passed in front of the council house and turned right on to South parade before turning left on to Listergate, then again it gets confusing. When reaching the Sawyers arms and Woolworths, did it continue on to Canal St. and turn right or did it veer right at Woolworths past what was Barry Noble's entertainment?? Somebody will enlighten me. Don't know why but it's driving barmy.  :blink:

When it passed Sawyers and Woolworths, it veered right at Woolies and went along Greyfriar Gate which lead to the bottom end of Wilford Road; then it went all the way along there up to Wilford Toll Bridge.

Thanks again CT. One thing I  do remember was, how dark it always seemed to be  along Wilford Road. Maybe because it so built-up  and confined. It wasn't  a very wide road in those days. I've sung in a few pubs down there.

A very sad day today. The demise of Debenhams. I agree with those who say they did not move with the times and our local Debenhams shop has gone downhill. My sad moment is because I worked in Farmers in Nottingham, a store owned by Debenhams (in addition to Griffin and S) and a very happy workplace with a great staff. Farmers closed and moved to Scan in the Victoria centre, then that closed. The demise of Debenhams is the end of the line and a total disaster for all their workers.

The Debenhams store in Nottingham seemed designed to keep customers captive by confusing and disorientating them.  It was just a large number of small rooms and spaces connected by stairs, corridors and passageways. I could never find my way from one department to another; you just went round in circles.

One of the best arguments for online shopping you could find.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I've never been terribly keen on Debenhams as a shop but the premises, which were formerly those of Griffin and Spalding, always fascinated me. I loved wandering around, up and down the many creaking staircases, trying to work out how it might have looked when it was built originally. Farmer's was much the same but on a smaller scale.