• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eric’s shoe shop was next door to Flints newsagents which was owned by my wife’s grandparents. The shops here did very well as they got a lot of footfall from Players factories.

Indeed. A much better looking building than the 60s monstrosity which replaced it.

Looking at those photos of Maid Marion Way brought back memories of Brentford Nylons. Whilst searching through some drawers recently I came across some of their products. Several sheets, pillow cases

Hi Beeky 

40/47 trolly bus went from the Palais turned up George St top of George st turned right into city centre then after passing Farmer's drapery shop snd exchange walk turned left went past Marks /Spencers  contiued past C/A round the Walter Fountain (which later became a roundabout) then past Woolworths the past Sherwood Rooms turning on to Castle Bol then left down Wilford St then Wilford rd bottom of Wilfred rd turned around the road Island which used to have an ice cream van on then came back into town, The 40 Trolly went to Wilford Rd from top of The Wells road. then went back again The 47 only went half way it would only go back up to St Anns and would turn around at Ransom Rd formely Coppice Rd,   Hope this helps jog your memory B  

just a little question you was not one of those conductors who would see you running to catch the bus and just as you got near would shout "hold tight"  and ring the bell, and no matter how hard you  ran  the bus pulled away befoe you had got on it.    

xx

That's what I thought Mary, but couldn't remember if it turned down George St. or Queens st. That bit and the bit around Woolies I was getting stuck on. But with bit of help from the club nottstalgia, I'm OK now. Behave yourself and no mugging blokes.  :rolleyes:

Edit. Never rang the bell on a runner but once, on 39 Carlton to Western boulevard, I had an occasion to jump off at Faraday Road and told the driver I was just nipping in public toilet. While there some bastard rang the bell and the bus left without me. I caught the next trolley following and caught up with mine at the terminus. My driver thought I'd finished and rang the bell !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The Debenhams store in Nottingham seemed designed to keep customers captive by confusing and disorientating them.  It was just a large number of small rooms and spaces connected by stairs, corridors and passageways. I could never find my way from one department to another; you just went round in circles.

One of the best arguments for online shopping you could find.

Recall a lovely wooden panelled staircase, resulting in an exit halfway up Market St! Freedom at last!;)

2 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

There are old photos on this link of Market St.

Including picture 3 showing Griffins main corner building and the misalignment by half a floor of the adjacent buildings.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/gallery/see-old-photos-one-city-2336760

Stuart, I can't view the link you posted, but you mention misalignment, I remember the building directly facing main Selectadisc, a restaurant, always struck me as odd, the windows seemed to be partially below street level.

The power of Nottstalgia a member has a query of a memory from years ago and ask fellow nottstalgians for help, it takes time for them to resolve it , but together they do. What a great bunch of friends you are, long may it continue.

• Like 3

Totally agree with you Trogg 100%. (until some Neolithic moron comes up with a sarcastic comment).

The link to the video slide show was brilliant. Took me right back to the 60s.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

The Debenhams store in Nottingham seemed designed to keep customers captive by confusing and disorientating them.  It was just a large number of small rooms and spaces connected by stairs, corridors and passageways. I could never find my way from one department to another; you just went round in circles.

One of the best arguments for online shopping you could find.

Catching shoplifters was easy........some had to ask the WAY OUT     ?

• Like 4
11 hours ago, HSR said:

Stuart, I can't view the link you posted, but you mention misalignment, I remember the building directly facing main Selectadisc, a restaurant, always struck me as odd, the windows seemed to be partially below street level.

The link works ok for me. 

I'd never thought before about the gradient of Market Street relative to Debenhams. It means when you enter the front entrance at ground level, once further inside, you're below ground level.

Once when delivering Birds Eye, had to go to Griffin & Spalding staff canteen which was on the top floor. This was accessed via a passageway on Long Row up to their back entrance, using a small lift. I hated doing this delivery because the lift was operated manually with a small lever and was very easy to overshoot /underreach your desired floor. Sometimes spent ages trying to get it right. I believe the alleyway went all the way up to Parliament Street. Parked the B.E. van on the Long row bus stops, much to the annoyance of the bus drivers. From there, across to Burton's.

Is that still there?

I wonder if any member can throw any light on this subject I have been try to sort it out for years.

Who owns Debenhams? 

Years and years ago, my mum trained to make Wedding dresses for Griffins and Spaldings.  I have found   that a letter says "Debenhams"  &   Company "   Castle  bovl nottingham       Do any of you know anything about this factory  ?                                                                                                              

On 11/30/2020 at 8:12 AM, radfordred said:

West End Arcade

Other way round @mary1947 it was an escalator until that youth lost his toe, it's now stairs! 

Parliament St end, bottom of the escalator on the left  there was a great full English cafe.

Opposite corner a wig shop, girlfriend made a purchase, purple wig for a fancy dress party. 

I'm sure their were other hairdressing related shop's Parliment St side of West End Arcade earlier.. at or very near to the entrance, recall scary Polystyrene Busks... :mellow:

On 11/30/2020 at 9:41 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

I worked for a firm of solicitors in the 70s where one of the staff dealt purely with complaints and claims against Cavendish Woodhouse. It was mainly 3 piece suites and beds, often defective when delivered and the company was refusing to replace or repair the item.

I worked for Cavendish Woodhouse in their default department in Talbot House onTalbot Street (chasing non-payers, always think this is what made me so cynical hearing all the excuses why they couldn’t pay) for many years. The best excuse was that the settee fell to pieces and was found to be constructed of orange boxes!! 
I did have a 3 piece suite from then, avoided their cheap and cheerful range, which lasted quite a while until the settee set on fire and a wall unit which I had from the 70’s until just before I moved back here. 
I left in 1976 when I moved to Doncaster. A few years after it was sold off to another company, can’t remember their name but they eventually closed all the shops and made all staff redundant.