Taxi Company

Can anyone help me out please?

Does anyone know of a Taxi company that was around Salisbury Street, Ilkeston Road in Radford ~ Lenton? 1974 I was led to believe that it was DGs first portakabin but since looking at the 1974 phone book found that it was definitely in Basford. Tia

Another name I was trying to remember.

They took over/ merged with Bridgford Private hire who I worked for.

I left around that time.

All this doesn't help 0302's enquiry other than there were quite a few "Taxi" although in reality Private Hire companies come and go around that time.

Hey Den, I  worked for A2B taxis back in 1986. It was based on bar lane at the time. My call sign was Quebec.

Stayed till February 1987, when I moved to East Sussex. Can't remember the controllers name but he would insist on calling me Queerbec over the radio for all to hear. All I can remember is we paid nearly forty quid for radio charge.

Still got my licence badge, (from Sutton in Ashfield, as they didn't want a medical). Never got round to returning it, or even if I'm supposed to.

10 hours ago, denshaw said:

Nev greenhoff? Set up a company in Bridgford around 1979 it was A 2 B.

Arthur (Stocks , maybe ?) ex Fonacar

and Joe ??

Joe's wife, June ran the board mainly.

I think the radio was £25.

It started in a room upstairs behind the Dancing Slipper on Bridgford rd, then moved to Pavillion road just over Trent bridge by the  Bridgeford Hotel.

I was the first non family (or family friend)  driver.

Call sign Zebra 3

I left before the Private hire legislation came into force, it was set in law.

There was another Taxi firm just down Loughboro rd run by Paul ?? , looks like that disappeared under the car sales lot.

If I remember CheckaCab changed their name to CheckaCar as the new Private hire legislation didn't allow the word Cab unless the cars were Hackney Licenced.

Re stories, it was strange how many Wifes and Husbands were picked up /  dropped off at different, but regular locations

Bridgeford to; Clifton £1.50, Cotgrave £1.50, E.M.A £15,, yet I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday...

I remember our charges were , 50p for the first mile, 10p per mile after, with the minimum charge was a£1.00.

If working in Bulwell, we all used to dread the £1.00 jobs from Co-OP (now wilko) up to Crabtree or Snape wood.

I once did a pick up from Central TV, it was Leslie Crowther, and had to take him to Perry Bar, Birmingham. It was a contract job so he just signed the docket. But he did give me a massive tip of......05p !!

Funny thing is Cliff Ton many years ago i drove a Taxi for a week,,,(i had ulterior motive) enjoyed it,,and could tell some stories of it,,,won't though,,you wouldn't believe it........;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Funny thing is Cliff Ton many years ago i drove a Taxi for a week,,,(i had ulterior motive) enjoyed it,,and could tell some stories of it,,,won't though,,you wouldn't believe it........;)

You should know by now, Ben, that you can't throw out posts like the above and then just leave us suspended in mid air!  Loppy's tongue will be hanging out.  Spill the beans. Where you're concerned, we'd believe anything!

• Like 2

Can't tell folk on here everything Jill,,,,get mesen talked about....................you'll be wanting to know about the Budgie in Peterborough next........lol

• Like 2