94 Friar Lane - History?

Well it may or may not be Haunted, depending on whether you believe in that sort of thing;

https://www.hauntedhappenings.co.uk/ghost_hunts/94_Friar_Lane.php

And secret tunnels,,, just like most other properties in the centre and surrounds of Nottingham

Previously, although maybe not directly before, it was an estate agent;

http://www.smithandpartners.co.uk/about-us/our-story

Possibly a Cafe and a beer museum? (dormant company), both have the same directors;

The Collectorium Cafe, 94 Friar Lane Nottingham Nottingham NG1 6EB

The Beer Museum Limited (listed at Company house as a hairdressers)

94 Friar Lane, Nottingham, NG1 6EB

Notice from 4th Feb 1969 , London Gazette;

under the name or style of " Smorga " at 94, Friar Lane in the city of Nottingham as SANDWICH BAR PROPRIETORS. Court—NOTTINGHAM.

Boo and Belle were there as well, sometime not stated;

94 Friar Lane, Nottingham, NG1 6EB
T: +44 (0) 115 947 6444   M: +44 (0) 7989 322 304
E: boo@booandbelle.co.uk

There's a reference to Airbnb as well, though it may just be a booking address;

2019 - Rent from locals in 94 Friar Ln, United Kingdom from € 18 per night. Find accommodations ... United Kingdom · England. Nottingham

These premises were formerly Sparrow & Dann, I believe. Always amused me because my father was Dan Sparrow.  Otherwise, no relation!

As to being haunted, I think most of the properties on Friar Lane have made the same claim over the years.  I worked in the offices of Rotheras, solicitors which was, I believe, 24 Friar Lane and the hidden Georgian house at the rear of number 24. There were certainly people there who had been frightened out of their wits by inexplicable events.

Going to be very difficult to trace what was in the building prior to 1929 .

I believe where number 94 Friar Lane is today , used to be called Park St . 

In 1929 there were some road improvements and the two roads were combined into a longer Friar Lane and the street re-numbered .

According to the news archives , after that date these businesses get a mention at that property.

1934 Florence Vann Modes were there through to 1939. Selling dresses and coats etc . The firm was liquidated in 1940.

Also giving that address at the same time were :

1936 A.C.S. Rothera
1937 Fraser and Sons solicitors ,

presume these occupied offices above the shop ?

1944 -46 Jayclaire owned by a Jack Wagner probably a clothing business ?

Maybe CT can find a street map showing Park Street before 1929 ? :)

10 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

Going to be very difficult to trace what was in the building prior to 1929 .   I believe where number 94 Friar Lane is today , used to be called Park St . 

Maybe CT can find a street map showing Park Street before 1929 ? :)

Funny you should say that...........I was going to mention the Park Street thing, but was waiting for the OP to come back and comment on what's turned up so far. 

I'm pretty certain 94 Friar Lane equates to 40 Park Street, and in those days many of the buildings were real houses rather than businesses.

• Like 1

Looking on streetview those properties do look like they would have been houses originally .

8 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

I'm pretty certain 94 Friar Lane equates to 40 Park Street,

I can't make out the numbering between the change from Park Street to an elongated Friar Lane .

According to Picture The Past ,  Lewitts Picture Framers with the bow fronted windows was originally 27 Park Street (now 100 Friar Lane) yet the property next door was number 44 Park St ? (now 96 Friar Lane) .

How was 27 Park Street next to number 44 in the old numbering ?

Looking at the first picture below , the shop behind the black limo today is the Robin Hood shop , so wouldn't it have been 42 Park Street if they were numbered evens on one side or 43 , if  numbered in a linear fashion ? Confused dot com !

Info from Picture The Past :

Picture Frame Maker. Lewitt's Antiques once had a shop at 27 Park Street, but here is at No 100 Friar Lane.

229.1.640.640.FFFFFF.0.63551.jpeg

96 Friar Lane, c1975    Formerly 44 Park Street; home of Reuben Bussey. artist, 1818-1893

229.1.640.640.FFFFFF.0.61060.jpeg

Looking at a combination of old maps and directories, I'll suggest this......

In the first photo, that isn't and never was 27 Park Street. No. 27 was the last one before the corner on the other side of the road, so they must have moved premises. The information on PTP is slightly ambiguous. Lewitts are indeed listed as being at 27, but that isn't 27 being shown !

In your second photo, that house was the first on Park Street (as the nameplate implies) and it's always been numbered 46. The old house to its left with the semi-circular front is classed as being in Castle Place. That leaves the Robin Hood shop (to the right of the one with the nameplate) as 44.

Thanks CT now I get it , thanks :)

Picture the Past have the numbers wrong in both pictures .

To prove the point an estate agent called A.Bush and Son were advertising at 46 Park St up to 1929 . 

1930 onward they gave 96 , Friar Lane as their address (property in 2nd pic).

1950 it was Harwood and Walter's Estate Agent. 

PTP may also be wrong about the artist Reuben Bussey. 

On the 1881 Census he is indeed living at number 44 Park St but if the house in the picture is number 46 , they've got the wrong place !

The O.P. of this request appears to make a habit of asking about random locations and in 50% of the cases never comes back to comment . Odd !

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...