Triple Glazing.....Or Not?

We are experiencing sleepless nights because of thoughtless neighbours putting their dogs out at night and they (the dogs) are howling and barking constantly through the night. We cannot sleep in our back bedrooms because of this.

I have been on the W-ton Council website and to start, I have to speak to the people (if possible) but not compulsary, a letter would help just to be sure they know the dogs are causing a problem, also keep a log for about two weeks of times of barking. What I stress is that in no way do we blame the dogs, in fact I feel sorry for them, but at 2/4am being woken with a headache and too uptight to even try to get back to sleep with the row outside, I'm afraid my thoughts are not too kindly.

Tonight we have had a windows rep call and basically we have had enough, so after lots of chat we are thinking of having a new bedroom window with 'Triple Glazing', it will cost £1,400. He is phoning back in the morning to see what we are doing. We have been given discounts on condition that we have it installed at a time they choose. I would value hearing what opinions any of you have about triple glazing or an alternative.

What does the team think?  One desperately tired Nottstalgian awaiting your thoughts.

I'm not convinced Triple glazing will eliminate the noise.

It might reduce it slightly that's all.

When they used to fit glazing to reduce noise from major roads they used secondary units, don't know if that's what they still use.

I've got new upvc windows ready to fit in my house, for the windows facing the road I've got "Accoustic glass" in them, were you offered that?

I've no idea yet how much it's going to reduce any noise.

Something to read about it here;

Against Triple,

https://thesoundproofwindows.co.uk/noise-reduction-products/noise-reduction-glazing/

For Triple;

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/homes-interiors/surveyor-questions/john-conlin-is-acoustic-glass-as-good-as-triple-glazing

For the £1400 quoted above I'd want a watertight guarantee of noise elimination, which of course no-one will give.

• Like 1

Thankyou Stuart. I have read all the information you have given and it is very informative. No we were not offered 'Accoustic Glass' but I had read about it on the internet, also 'Secondary Glazing'. I am now doubtful about having the Triple Glazing'. I think the information has strengthened  what I have been thinking about anyway. I have to do something soon, having disturbed sleep is almost making me feel ill, but at the same time we don't want to waste money. Some questions will have to be asked in the morning. Thank you again.

Thankyou Denshaw, due to an ear injury years ago it is not possible to use earplugs. We have the heavy curtains, but the noise the dogs make needs to have something more than 'Accoustic lining'. As i wrote in my first post, I have noted the W-ton enviromental officers advice and will write a letter, and start logging the noise. Thank you Miducks for the tips.:)

Any sale that has a discount that is time dependant is a bluff. I'm sure more than a few of us have had offers of big discounts for an immediate signature or those that have to phone the manager for permission to give an extra discount, 'just for you'....

Have a look here Carni and see if there is anything you might like to try.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stop+dogs+barking+devices&ie=&oe=

Triple glazing does not necessarily reduce noise more than double glazed windows...

• Like 1

They use triple glazing in the airport hotels it does reduce the noise a little bit but personally don't think it would solve the problem. And £1400.00, is it for the whole house, Or is your window the size of a shop front?. Try putting the dogs in your garden, and see how they like it.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Brew said:

Any sale that has a discount that is time dependant is a bluff. I'm sure more than a few of us have had offers of big discounts for an immediate signature or those that have to phone the manager for permission to give an extra discount, 'just for you'....

I am so glad I asked for opinions. When I read these two lines Brew, it finalised our decision straight away this morning.  This is exactly what happened. The rep actually made the phone call sitting on our sofa. Many thanks to you all for pointing out that triple glazing may not  keep the noise out.

The window in question is just an ordinary two opening bedroom size with double glazing. Waddo and all, many thanks for alerting us to the fact that £1,400 is a lot of money for one window of that size.

If it was a noise we could live with, we would do nothing, but it is way past that. Strangely, the dogs were silent last night and I got a full nights sleep, but that only happens very occasionally.

Just realised I haven't read the link Brew. Will mash some tea and have a gander.

It may be worth looking at Heavy weight curtains, making sure they are ftted to the wall all around when they're closed.

Link just for example and info, not  a recommend;

https://www.acoustic-curtains.co.uk/

One company I definitely don't recommend is Curtains to go, (Online but who happen to be based in Nottingham) I had some made a few years ago

https://www.curtains-2go.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6MDPl_Kq5wIVmK3tCh1x1AkXEAAYAiAAEgKyDvD_BwE

They made a shockingly finished set of plain curtains when I'd ordered patterned, they wanted me to wait in all day for their courier to collect but eventually let me drop them off at the local warehouse.

The curtains aren't made in the U.k, they're made elsewhere and imported.

I eventually got what I ordered but the finishing still wasn't that good.

Carni

It’s wrong that you are  having to consider going to these financial lengths through no fault of your own. Not only is your health being damaged, but your bank balance as well !

I recall you mentioned this topic a few months ago and I mentioned that I’d experienced a vaguely similar case a few years ago. I contacted the local council/environmental health, spoke to a council person and was also asked to provide an incident log for a few weeks. The council then sent a letter to the offending address, and the situation improved. I’m  surprised that your council say you should make contact with the offenders; at no point was that suggested to me.

• Like 1

Well Mi Dears. Here is my update on Triple Glazing. We had three estimates from different firms. £1,460.....£1,840. The second price was knocked down(by phonecall to the office by the rep) his boss then knocked it down to £1,450........Strange that, that is just what happened with the first one too?    Robbing Bo99ers the lot of them.

We had a rep call today from a local business  and this is what we were offered and have accepted. 

1 UPVC White Casement Window with Accoustic Glass. 6.4mm Laminate/4mm Toughened total cost £676.00. We are awaiting the surveyer at 2.30pm,  so the window can be made and he will give us a date for fitting.

Thrilled to bits. Half the price of the other Robbering S..s. Can't wait for a good nights sleep. :sleeping:

• Like 1
On 1/30/2020 at 9:22 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

Not the dogs' fault, Beekay. The owners are the ones who need sorting out!

Wornt talkin' abaht the dogs Jill. Get rid o' the owners and dogs will folla'.