They started work earlier this week at the top end of GAR where it will join Mapperley Plains.  Tree fellers (might have been four) clearing the area at the side of the road.  Can now see clearly down to Gedling Church and a wind turbine in the distance to the left.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mention of Arnold Lane, reminds me didn't he have a strange hobby?

Don't forget his sister Penny Lane, who also had a song written about her.

Autumn 2021

How long before the road will be completed - are there any estimates?  We visit Mapperley coming up on the  A1, A52, A46, then  carrying on to eventually go through Lambley to Plains Road.  When the GAR is completed, I suppose we would use that instead of the (very potholed) road we use at present!  I just wondered about the time scale ...

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

How long before the road will be completed - are there any estimates?  We visit Mapperley coming up on the  A1, A52, A46, then  carrying on to eventually go through Lambley to Plains Road.  When the GAR is completed, I suppose we would use that instead of the (very potholed) road we use at present!  I just wondered about the time scale ...

Autumn 2021

• Upvote 1

I hope that the Gedling tip and the slag heaps are fully compacted. We don’t want any nasty cracks in the buildings. Then there will be lots of run-off water to help flood the Trent valley. Roads are still closed near to us. Bleasby to Fiskerton Rd., Fiskerton to Rolleston Rd., Hoveringham riverside. The care home at Hazelford had to be evacuated by tractor as Boat Lane is about 3 feet deep and the electricity failed. I can even see a pond at the bottom of our field, but having lived round here for 58 years I’ve seen similar flooding before - long before climate change was blamed!

Thanks one and all for the enlightenment. Last time I were up that way was collecting washed singles from Gedling pit and taking the lorry up to the weigh bridge on Plains road. Prior to delivery to Boston. Circa 1968/9.

And the new houses to be built next to Brooklands garden centre just along the plains.

And all the new houses to be built close to Stoke Bardolf.

And quite a few other small developments about the area.

There's a visualisation video down the route here;

9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Let's just hope they meet in the middle!

If not, you get two roads for the price of one!!

Was Arnold Lane a person then Stuart?

Ps, an interesting video on Mapperley tunnel. The pile of garbage at the airshaft  looks like the folks above were using it as a bottomless dustbin.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Gedling Access Road (Bypass)