Re the garbage, it's been there for years, I've seen it on older videos.

It's been tipped down one of the Pepperpot air shafts presumably through a hole in the side as they stand up from the ground.

There are only 3, one on Woodthorpe side, one you can see on the New road video just to the right of the road and the other is at the back of the area of what has in more recent years been Woodthorpe Scout Hut.

I suspect it was from previous land user, not the Scouts.

Viewed at low level in this link picture no 2,

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/alexkemp/diary/41226

Viewed from above;

1JaByTb.png

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mention of Arnold Lane, reminds me didn't he have a strange hobby?

Don't forget his sister Penny Lane, who also had a song written about her.

Autumn 2021

• 1 month later...

They had been working until at least 1st April clearing trees, scrub, etc. at top end and creating a flattish area of what looks like compacted clay.  I saw no activity yesterday so perhaps they've knocked it on the head for now.

I walked down Arnold Lane this morning. You can now see the first Pepperpot (Gedling side) standing in isolation now that all the trees and foliage have been cleared away. I hope they're not going to pull it down.

There are Bats in the tunnel, it can't be disturbed.

Bats The council said: “Swarming sites at the tunnel entrance and the pepperpots have been retained and protected by the design, which will involve the construction of a 7m high retaining wall around the pepperpot. They also revealed that a new bat house featuring loose waney edge timber cladding, mortar gaps, wall slots, bat access bricks, cavity wall boxes, and gaps in the mortar ridge, has been constructed at Glebe Farm ‘to mitigate for the loss of a maternity roost in the demolished farm buildings’. They added: “‘Bat hop overs’ will be planted to minimise disruption to commuting and foraging routes. This will be achieved by planting taller and denser trees up to the road verge. The ‘hop overs’ will be planted between the road lighting columns, to take advantage of the lower light intensity.”

Read more about this on Gedling Eye at: https://www.gedlingeye.co.uk/news/environmental-impact-gedling-access-road/

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

The Council have been posting update videos of the road.  It starts at the bottom end (Burton Road) and goes up to Mapperley Top.

If you don't know the area it might not mean much; existing places can be seen off either side of the new road.

They seem to be taking a huge amount of land just for a simple by-pass?

• 3 months later...

If this was taken in July 2021, I don’t think it’ll be ready until the end of the autumn (at least). Still looks like lots to do!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Gedling Access Road (Bypass)
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

GAR, now called Colliery Way, is due to open to traffic at midday next Tuesday.  On Monday afternoon they are allowing pedestrians and cyclists to explore it between 1pm and 5pm.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gedlingeye.co.uk/news/pedestrians-and-cyclists-will-have-chance-to-explore-gedling-access-road-before-it-opens-to-traffic/%3famp=1

I'd seen that, Engineer and thought,, I'll leave it a day or 2 and just drive up and down it, it'll be a lot quicker.

Also to note for irregular visitors to the area, Arnold lane will be closed from Mapperley plains for 3 months, give or take, so they can divert Arnold Lane onto one of the new islands and replace the traffic lights and lane markings.

Access will be down the new road then turn right at the junction after the first island to get back onto Arnold Lane.

This will make our journey to Nottingham for meet ups a bit different - no more winding our way through Lowdham etc…. Wonder if it will be faster than the old way…. 
However, if fuel costs keep rising, we may decide to stay at home anyway!

2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Colliery Way, although appropriate to the history of the area, is not a particularly inspiring name and conjures up memories of slag heaps and winding gear. Who In the nearby posh houses wants to say they live ‘just off Colliery Way?’

Phil,

Colliery Way, may not be thought appropriate to some, but it could have been worse and named, Slag Lane or Pit Bottom Way!

On Monday, when the new road is open only for cyclists and pedestrians, I wonder where the pedestrians will park their cars when they’ve travelled to the top of the new road….   

Other names were considered, including Pepper Pot Way, All Hallows Way, Mercury Way, Gedling Park Way, The Pit Road, Gedling Pit Road, Gedling Pit Way, Gedling Way, Mapperley Wharf Way, Old Pit Way, Top Hard Way, Main Bright Way, High Hazels Way, Wharf Way (or Wharfs Way), Chase Farm Way, Gedling Colliers Way, Harvey’s Way, Ghellenge Way, Gedling Village Bypass, Five Rings Way.

I might go for a hike out of interest.  It's about 2.4 miles long so I reckon 90 minute round trip (walking) when I get there.

I don't really understand how a simple single carriageway road caused so much devastation to the surrounding countryside. I don't remember the A453 taking up so much land - though it did take longer

Now Arnold Lane is going to be closed off for three months to link it in with the new Colliery Road through a system of islands and traffic lights. I hope they make a better job than was done when they put the traffic lights on the Arnold Lane/ Plains/ Gedling Lane junction many years ago. Right turners on the Plains going down Gedling Lane didn’t have much of a chance as there was no filter so they just had to risk it! My late uncle’s father, Elijah Burton the builder and coal merchant, used to own, pre war, the land and the old farmhouse just off the Plains where the new road comes out. I think that was Chase Farm after which the nearby estate was named. Perhaps the new road name should have referred to Chase Farm.