I vaguely remember being down at Victoria embankment and seeing the Trent in flood, to the point of only the top step was visible. It was impossible to walk under the bridge through the footpath.

I'm always amazed the council built the park-and-ride car park on Queen's Drive. Whenever there's heavy rain, it always floods and has to be closed.

I knew that location when it was just fields and back in the 1960s I can remember going over Clifton Bridge and seeing that field with very deep water. Just the place for a car park.

• 2 years later...

A very interesting read CT., and not just looking at the pictures. Wondered whether I should have given a 'like', but it didn't seem appropriate. 

Plantfit, if you read this, there's a nice picture of a 1935 Leyland Tiger.  B.

• Like 1

I see he was going to Newark, terrible shame what happened to the east coast back then and not forgetting the west coast of europe who suffered a similar tragedy, was it global warming back then or just nature letting us know who's boss?

Rog

I remember taking clothes to school to help with the east coast flood appeal. I’m surprised we had any clothes to spare in those days! There is an emergency telephone contact system for vulnerable properties on the east coast. We had friends who lived just behind the tall sea defence bank at Sandilands and I always felt a bit nervous when visiting on stormy winter days. A lot of the concrete sea defences have now been covered by sand. I have another friend who lives on the cliffs near Cromer where the sea is rapidly eating into the land and one day his house will collapse.

• Like 1