Hi, I'm new to this forum but I'm intrigued to find out some information. My daughter is a student at the Maltings on Whitemoor Rd and  couple of nights ago she woke suddenly  to find a man in his 30's wearing a turban, sitting on her chair. She rubbed her eyes and sat watching him for 30 seconds before climbing out of bed to switch on the light. Before reaching the switch she turned to look and he was still there but once she turned the light on he disappeared. We've tried searching to see who this man might have been. Does anyone know of anything that might help solve the mystery? What was the building used for between its closure as a malt house until it was converted into flats in 1986?

I must admit, I am not familiar with the area where the building stands but, as with all such experiences, I would seek a rational explanation first. Is your daughter under stress of any kind?  Under stress and sleep deprived, I tend to see things I know aren't really there. In my case, it's usually spiders climbing up the walls. Yes, whilst fully awake! This has occurred to me whilst approaching final uni examinations, OFSTED inspections and other stress inducing factors which have meant my sleep patterns have been disturbed.  I am not ruling out other, more metaphysical explanations, which I have also experienced but it is as well to take a practical, commonsense approach first.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Intrieguedvisitor1 said:

Does anyone know of anything that might help solve the mystery? What was the building used for between its closure as a malt house until it was converted into flats in 1986?

Have you tried Facebook ? (if you're on it).

There are several Groups/Pages dedicated to Basford in the past. If you ask your question there it will be seen by a lot of people who are - or were - local to that area and may know old stories and rumours about the building.

• Like 1