So Boris addressing the country just now, flanked by two experts about a metre away each side, nowhere near the two metres separation of which he reminds us.

Maybe we need something more easily learned and remembered such as: "If you and another can touch fingertips at arm's length you are too close."

They could design a simple graphic to depict this and plaster it all over the place.

EDIT: Obviously don't actually touch another person's finger to test this gap!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

7 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Mary I hope these symptoms don't come to anything. Thinking of you and your family.

Thanks nonnaB  for your message 

up to date progress of my grandson Joe

Gone temperature just a little higher than normal.

Joe still has his cough.

So with out testing not sure if he had the virus or not but if he did then dare i say it!!! he has come though but the family have to work from home and be isolated for at least 14 days.

Yes that's how it is Mary but cv lasts a little longer than a couple of days. Isolation for 14 days if he's had  / has it it will guard you.

Our vet was positive and he had had a high temperature for 4 days then he became ill and was eventually in hospital on oxygen. That's all I know about cv but thought it might be useful info or maybe not.

• Like 1

With reference to the Engineers post, we are told to keep one meter away and no physical contact. Fine! Then you watch the news and what do you see? Politicians walking close, head politicians greeting and kissing and hugging, a thing they tell us not to do. 

Our tv every commercial break they give us advice and remind us of all the things we must do. Wonder whether Boris has thought about that for tv. Or is it a case of don't do as I do do as I say?

From today we have even more restrictions firms are closed and no builders, plumbers, electricians or whoever you need, will not be allowed to work. Now there's only chemists, supermarkets, banks and post offices are open.

Enjoy your day everyone and stay safe.

• Like 1

And thanks to Tim Berners-Lee, the man who invented the internet.

It's resulted in people being able to talk to others anywhere in the world for reassurance and advice and hope. If this outbreak had happened 25 years ago, there would be a lot of people feeling rather cut off, left out and not connected with anyone anywhere.

Yes, there's fake news and malicious rumour, but at a time like this digital communications have been a big help.

• Like 6

Mercury Dancer you say this pandemic is serious. Yes it is very serious and a pity the governments of all these countries didn't take any notice at first and were slow to come to terms with it.

But when will everyone realize the seriousness of it. For every group not distancing don't they realize that a person may die. We are losing too many medical staff to the stupidity of some. Our health system is at its limit and are opening new beds wherever they can to cope. The latest one is a hotel that's opened its doors to accommodate hospital beds, but the staff is so short handed. 

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1

A lot of news footage is archive or library clips so not necessarily current. In any case when it comes to behaviour I follow the medical and scientific recommendations. The politicians during events like this I see as an interface or mouthpiece or focal point for the more important science being delivered daily. I don't care where they physically stand, that's their choice, and in any case I'm not measuring I'm listening, that's what's important.

The '"don't do as I do; do as I say" criticism a distraction imo, I don't copy them, the verbal message in this case is paramount not the visual messenger. Anything else is imo an attempt at political point scoring and specious. 

• Like 2
On 3/22/2020 at 8:27 AM, denshaw said:

My wife Margaret has developed a dry cough, she is also short of breath and has hot flushes. We have checked the NHS website and it advises us to self isolate so this is the most sensible thing to do.

Best wishes to you both Den.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, MargieH said:

Thinking of you MD and hoping you'll soon start recovering x.  btw, how rough IS a badger's bum?  

Its largely a military term, badgers are tough creatures so their bums are even rougher! 

On a side note, I work at a country hotel and one of my duties in a morning is to check on things. When its a dark morning I often see badgers and they are not afraid of anything. 

I'm still not well, but will be OK. I hope. The wife is panicking though. She has had to to back to Russia and cannot get back to UK for the foreseeable future. Its really hard being without her. 

• Upvote 1

I just don't believe it  we live in a complex of 30 bungalow even though we have a manager it's  classed as independent  living my next door neighbour while standing 3 yards apart has just told me that next door neighbour and another one have gone out shopping. They have caught the bus to a  town called Alfreton  Derbyshire. but not just shopping one of them wanted money out of the bank and he does not trust the cash machines so he has to go into his bank for cash. So what do you say? Even though it's independent living we all have health issue's. Maybe these 2  know something we don't  it just goe's to show that the  older we get our  brain's  do  go out of the window . As my mum used to say "no more brains than they were born with"

ps so bus stop 6 people waiting to get on the bus, then bus driver the bus half full will hold about 25 people then bank staff and so on and so on this is how it get's past around don't they realise.

ps we do have a cash machine in our village.

Jonab, I put a like not because I liked the video but just an inside view as to what this virus is. Hope he recovers.

ITS ME AGAIN SORRY.

On news yesterday and repeated today that we have had less deaths for the second day. We have been warned not to literally  take it for granted that it will continue decreasing but still it's a little flicker of light at the end of the very dark tunnel. Due to social distancing? I hope so

WW we have daily updates direct from hospitals and from the president of the Lombardia province. So we know exactly what's happening.

• Like 1

I researched how long the pandemic is predicted to last and I'm disappointed find there is no end in sight and a very real possibility it will never go away.

Quite a few scientists are saying the progress could be, Epidemic - Pandemic - Endemic. Like Flu it could return and keep returning.

We have been to Asda this morning, no more than two of any one item allowed, and stocks are improving although there are no eggs.

Traffic is quiet but not massively so and there people walking around going about their day. Asda is only about three miles away so not a long journey but there didn't appear to be any groups or gatherings along the way and pedestrians are mostly singles or couples,. No queues at bus stops and buses were  empty. It seems that in my little corner of the world at least  people are starting to heed the message, except our cleaning lady came waltzing in this morning all bright and breezy...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AfferGorritt said:

Must watch video!!

What the hell is he doing waving a gun about? No wonder people were willing to give him something...

I hope it was meant to be funny...

44 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

BK yes he did  according to contact on FB? My daughter checks

Wornt me guv, honest. But do hope he gets better. Take care.x

• Like 1