• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Red, you seem to have missed the bit where people who test positive are REQUIRED BY LAW to self isolate for a given time... to protect others.

• Like 1
On 1/8/2022 at 8:16 AM, letsavagoo said:

I received a letter on Thursday telling me I should get a fourth jab. I am listed as clinically vulnerable. Yet the news this morning is saying 4th jabs will not be required. Even though I’ve had and continue to have a pretty bad time since I caught covid in September last I don’t think I will have any more jabs for the foreseeable future. 

Letsav, I think you are confusing two different issues here, though the Govt. communication is so poor I don't blame you.

As I understand it, around the time the Booster was announced, there was also talk of a 'Third Dose', for the very vulnerable..(of any age) in other words those who are vulnerable for reasons beyond just age. There seems to have been some overlap in time between  'Third Doses', for the very vulnerable (of any age) and the Booster Programme which started, like the first and second  doses, with the older groups, regardless of health.

Govt. has stated in the last few days  that a fourth dose for the general population is not yet seen as necessary.  This is separate from the recommended Fourth Dose for the very vulnerable.

Up to you obviously, but if it was me, I'd have any dose Govt offered me..

Two years we've been dealing with Covid and it consequences.. and still people don't  seem to understand even the basics.

Data is STATISTICAL which means it looks at evidence gained  from large numbers of people.

-So, we may all know somebody who had it and it was 'a breeze', but there are also 150000+ for whom it was  not a 'breeze', but a death sentence.

-We also know from all sensible evidence, that for a given number of vaccinated people, fewer cases will die, than for the same number of unvaccinated cases.  So all the smart arses coming out with 'My mate was fully vaccinated and still died so the vaccine doesn't work', are just wrong.  The vaccine does not work in 100% of cases, but it protects the vast majority. 

-The vaccinated even protect the unvaccinated to some extent, as they tend to get the virus less and spread it less even if they do get it.  Of course, in my book that makes the unvaccinated a load of selfish freeloading b@$t@£ds.

-And finally. Omicron seems to be generally less dangerous, such that a smaller percentage of Omicron cases get to die.  But Omicron is a lot more infectious, so many more have it, so there will be more deaths.

-Masks have been proven to (that word again..) statistically reduce the chance of transmission.  They are not perfect, but they catch a lot of droplets, coming out of mouths, and may prevent some from going into mouths/noses/eyes.    They are worth wearing and they are hardly a big deal except for the vain, the stupid and the terminally awkward.

Rant over.

• Like 2

This is interesting...sort of...  The info in the link below is very techie and scientific but they seem to have estimated the total amount of Covid Virus on the whole planet as somewhere between

0.1kg, and 10kg.  So..it would all fit in a bucket.  I wonder what it would look like?

1 hour ago, DJ360 said:

This is interesting...sort of...  The info in the link below is very techie and scientific but they seem to have estimated the total amount of Covid Virus on the whole planet as somewhere between

0.1kg, and 10kg.  So..it would all fit in a bucket.  I wonder what it would look like?

I wonder what the link looks like ne'er mind the virus.    ;)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Letsav, I think you are confusing two different issues here, though the Govt. communication is so poor I don't blame you.

As I understand it, around the time the Booster was announced, there was also talk of a 'Third Dose', for the very vulnerable..(of any age) in other words those who are vulnerable for reasons beyond just age. There seems to have been some overlap in time between  'Third Doses', for the very vulnerable (of any age) and the Booster Programme which started, like the first and second  doses, with the older groups, regardless of health.

Govt. has stated in the last few days  that a fourth dose for the general population is not yet seen as necessary.  This is separate from the recommended Fourth Dose for the very vulnerable.

Up to you obviously, but if it was me, I'd have any dose Govt offered me..

That makes sense Col. It’s quite confusing but as things stand currently I don’t intend to get a forth. Too easily yet anyway but I may be persuaded otherwise. 

Wife & myself did a LFT each this morning: she was negative & me positive. She is now free of covid jail as she's done 2 negative's over 9 days. I'm still in the slammer till I do 2 negative tests. Still feeling rough with a muzzy headache, bunged up hooter, sneezing & now a dry cough has fired up, but the sore throat has gone, still taking co-codamol & ibuprofen. A friend tested positive every day over the last week & had no symptoms at all, she's now negative... 

For those seeking the 'missing link'.. my apologies, and the link:

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/25/e202481511

Not doing well at the moment Col....

Page Not Found

The requested page "content/118/25/e202481511" could not be found.

You're welcome.  My bad...

I think I managed to 'clip' a character from the end of the link.  And in case it is causing Red sleepless nights.. I haven't even started on the Brandy yet... ;)

• Like 1

I know I left school many decades ago but wouldn’t it depend on volume not mass as to whether all the virus in the world would fit in a bucket?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

I know I left school many decades ago but wouldn’t it depend on volume not mass as to whether all the virus in the world would fit in a bucket?

Clever you Margie :biggrin: I suppose when DJ discovers the volume of the virus the question will be 'what sized bucket'? 

These musings would have never come about a year or so ago.

According to this study the viral load increases almost exponentially in an individual and peaks between 1 and 10 hours. Could this account for why some test positive yet have zero symptoms?

Couple of points. Please don't shoot the messenger..I only linked to the report..I didn't write it. :wacko:

On the other hand it is good to see some intelligence brought to the discussion.

A few people on another site are reporting that it can take a while for the test to catch up with the symptoms.

Also difficult to see how some actually catch the latest variant. Chap who runs PFM is single, lives alone and being both asthmatic and diabetic has been fully jabbed and stayed home. But somehow he has got it. He is speculating  on Amazon deliveries and maybe 'surface contact'.  We stopped routinely disinfecting purchased goods and deliveries etc.,  some time ago when the word was it was unnecessary, but I'm starting to do it again.

Now that people don't have to get a PCR test after a positive LFT, there will be a lot fewer cases reported, as I suspect that not everyone will report their positive LFT.

So expect 'a dramatic drop in cases' in the next few days...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Our grand children started back to school yesterday. They have to go into isolation. One child in each class positive. You tell me was it necessary to reopen schools.

10 hours ago, MargieH said:

Now that people don't have to get a PCR test after a positive LFT, there will be a lot fewer cases reported, as I suspect that not everyone will report their positive LFT.

So expect 'a dramatic drop in cases' in the next few days...

There is also already under reporting due to lack of available tests.

• Like 1

Day 11 since I first tested positive & I've still got 2 solid LFT lines. Under govt regs I can now go out & about even though I'm still testing positive, but I don't feel comfortable going to anywhere indoor. Most weekends my wife & myself go to a line dance somewhere local, but I wont be going unless I test negative....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1