1 hour ago, radfordred said:

I knew I shouldn’t watch the News? They are now saying this corona malarkey causes loss of taste, Sunday night takeaway chicken Pathia tasteless :Shock: Mondays pack up, Mexican hot & spicy cheddar & onion sandwich tasteless  :Shock: Yesterdays pack up, beef pastrami & Spanish onion tasteless :Shock: 

You must have Corona Virus then. Stay and home and take care.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

I knew I shouldn’t watch the News? They are now saying this corona malarkey causes loss of taste, Sunday night takeaway chicken Pathia tasteless :Shock: Mondays pack up, Mexican hot & spicy cheddar & onion sandwich tasteless  :Shock: Yesterdays pack up, beef pastrami & Spanish onion tasteless :Shock: 

If that's a regular sort of diet RR I'm amazed you have any taste buds!    ;)

• Like 3

Re Driving to the Peaks the problem is the same as it was when National Trust closed the houses but left the parks open, same number of visitors but all outside.

1 person does it, someone else sees them and thinks it's a good idea and others follow suit.

• Upvote 1

The piece by Toby Young echoes the herd immunity theory proposed by Dominic Cummins. Basically, let the virus run wild and the strong will survive. The weak, the old and those with problems that are a burden on the state health care system will be gone, the herd will be stronger, fitter and leaner.

As a hypothesis it's fine if we think in purely pragmatic and financial terms and it's difficult to fault the logic.

Thankfully the virus is on our side and does not behave as the model suggests. It's a theory that has been repeatedly disproven, it simply does not work.

39 minutes ago, letsavagoo said:

If I drive in my car with my wife to a nice place, let’s say the Peak District and park up

We did just that and I posted about it here. Derbyshire was rammed with more visitors than a bank holiday

I'm feeling considerably better today, so is the wife, apart from one thing. 

Putin has now enforced total lockdown. Now in Russia they dont mess about with this type of thing, they have the experience to do it. Real catch 22 with the wife, you are not allowed to go anywhere without the dreaded documenty, ie passes. Now to get the correct documenty you have to go out and get them stamped. Whilst going to the office, my step son was arrested. Released and sent home but warned he faced prison. Reported deaths and virus in Russia is reported as being low, but I dont believe it. 

Really glad to hear you're both improving, not sure what to say about Russia and their lockdown. I've never been but by  their authorities reputation I'd say the truth will be difficult to establish.

Appeared on news but can't remember whether it was Korea south or north. But if they are caught being positive and outside they are imprisoned for up to a year. Good idea for us all to respect.

Although we are still getting infected cases we are being told that we are on the decrease but not to lower our attention. 

Decreasing numbers is such good news gives hope to everyone else. Apparently we have small green shoots starting to show their heads unless winter kills them off!. Hoping that is positive as well.

• Like 2

I bought some bulbs ages ago and couldn't be bothered to plant them . When I did it was late, now some daffodils are sprouting through and I have a plant pot with some snowdrops and crocuses already with leaves on. Don't suppose now they will flower.

Nonna, in these strange times,  I think anything can happen!  I hope the flowers will indeed carry on growing and brighten up your life xx

Back in the sixties/seventies when I worked in Sutton the Bell was often the pub of choice for a swift half and a pasty at "lunch" time on the afternoon shift. Kept a nice pint of Mansfield then and it had a bar billiards table too.

In Oz the public are pushing to have the government release more details of where the corona virus has been found in the community. At the moment it only gives general areas unless like the outbreak at Adelaide airport they are trying to track contacts.

There are two schools of thought. 

1 Do not provide too detailed information as general information keeps everyone cautious and helps minimise risk

2 Provide detailed information to the suburb level, this then may cause the local busy bodies to go on a quest of finding out exactly who or in areas where there are no reported cases cause people to be less cautious.

Any views?

I have thought from the beginning of this that I would like to know which area those with the disease came from, I.e. Bulwell, Bilborough etc. At least if it wasn’t in my area it wouldn’t feel like playing Russian roulette when I had to go out.

I would still take the necessary (hopefully) safety measures as outlined, but I could see that there would be some who if it wasn’t in their area would disregard them, as some seem to be doing now. It is a bit of a conumdrum.

Trouble is if we know where it is we take care and it should like that even if we don't know where it is. Too many people couldn't care less their attitude is. " it won't get me because I'm immune " or "we're ok Jack why should I bother"

Some people just haven't got the sense of the responsibility of trying to prevent this virus spreading.

Yesterday my son heard that his assistant chef ( to my husband) had some bad news that her mother has the virus and she suffers from other ailments and is only 45. 

Its almost 4 weeks that the restaurant has been closed so we have no fear that it's been transmitted to us, but it's very worrying for Sara, I feel so sorry and worried for her.

I know I usually throw in a joke to lighten things and today is no different. I have been self-islolating and would like to know if anyone knows of a good breakfast wine? *

But there are some serious frustrations. I am a retired nurse and have volunteered to join the COVID register to return to work. Nothing seems to be happening. I am relatively symptom free but would like to get tested and find work immediately.  From what I can tell it is a communications issue in that when you reapply they pass your details on to local hospitals (who are crying out for staff) but this is not working. I have called repeatedly but to no avail. Not even to say how long you have been symptom free. Or a repeat test. Nothing. Get me into the front line. 

*Asking for a friend

I feel I'm living something of a charmed life at the moment. My little household unit is obeying the government' restrictions and life (for us at least) carries on as normal. There are no reported cases of the virus in Grasse or its environs (including le BsL).

The weather is amazingly nice and it's even possible to take a dip in the pool. I do hope it will remain like this.

My sympathies go out to everyone suffering from this horror, even if not directly. Especially Italy - we're only a few Km from the Italian border which is very worrying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How true is this ‘lack of testing for NHS staff’?  I was talking to a friend in the North East today whose wife is a nurse.  He says she’s being tested every few days and suggests it’s all media hype.  

• Like 1

Ok, firstly, i am hoping that everyone is staying in good health and abiding the guidelines. Now for the crux, just been watching the UK info about what what you should do, so the nhs, i know are doing a fantastic job, say in their advert, or imply, that going out for exercise is a necessity!! Why is it?. If someone can answer that for me, then i would be grateful. Can't people exercise at home?. Any reply would be welcome!!

There is no need to be outside to take exercise. Climbing stairs or just walking round the garden will do it, it will also make you give up the will to live!

Allowing people out is, like the clapping, the singing and the rainbows a clever construct to help with morale. They create a sense of involvement, an idea that we are all in this and gives an impression of togetherness, unity and purpose.

Going out for exercise does in some small measure make life seem like it  is carrying on as near normal  given the circumstances.

• Like 2

Perhaps it’s a very regional thing, they live in Haltwhistle but don’t know where she works. Fingers crossed for you MD, very frustrating for you Im sure.