• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

BK unfortunately there are no stage coaches round here a few old 500 's and tractors but no stages. That mask would be better to hold anything up. 

Are we talking cup size here ?  ;)

Your mask is very similar to what my s.i.l. made us.

If you have trouble breathing with a face mask, this lady from Kentucky has found a solution.

https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buzz/article/covidiot-woman-cuts-hole-in-face-mask-to-make-breathing-easier-watch/587757

Although I did smile when I was collecting some medication from a local pharmacy the other day to see one of the people working there with her mask just covering her mouth, not her nose.

Mrs Col has made a few masks, with an internal pocket or compartment for a filter... though we don't have any filters.  I must look into what is suitable because I will eventually have to go into a shop or somewhere.  She's had me bending over the last few mm of the ends of straightened paper clips which go in the top of the mask for bending to the shape of your nose. Of course such masks will do little to protect from some idiot coughing in yer face.. but beggars can't be choosers.

Meanwhile.. daily deaths in the UK remain stubbornly around the 350 mark, where they have been for a few weeks now.  They claim fewer hospital admissions, yet deaths are not falling.. not sure what that tells us.  Meanwhile liar Boris is still blathering on about who knows what.  His most recent lock down easing measures took everybody by surprise but seem to have achieved their aim of diverting a lot of attentions from Cummings.  Bread and Circuses... works everytime with an electorate largely comprised of people with the attention span  of a gnat and the memory of a goldfish..

South OZ Update

We have only had 2 cases since April 23rd. The most recent being on 26 May that of a UK visitor who was undergoing the mandatory 2 week quarantine at the port of arrival into Australia. The visitor was allowed to come to South Australia 1 week into the quarantine period for compassionate reasons and tested positive after arrival. This being the only active case. So far, thankfully,  it has not generated any further cases. We are still testing at the rate of 1600 a day and police continue to check on those that are self quarantining. Masks are not required but some are being used on public transport where it is difficult to maintain social distancing

Things are returning to a new "normal", from 1 June restaurants, pubs, cafes etc can have a maximum of 80 people provided that the total number of people does not exceed one person per 4 sq metres and that 1.5 meters social distancing can be maintained for non related people. You do not have to buy a meal to have a drink but you must be seated at a table you cannot sit or stand at the bar. Professional sports have and are resuming without crowds and people are free to resume amateur sports but no sports or games with shared equipment.

Keep safe and well everyone.

• Like 5

Hi Oztalgian Have you any room down South for any visitor's?

OZ pretty much the same here. We are coming out of it so they say but the death rate although low increases then decreases, recoveries continue to rise. New cases vary but are low. Restaurants are open but many have decided not to open or close completely because they can't afford to reopen and some are selling up. 80 seems a lot of people to have in a restaurant but I suppose it depends how big the restaurant is. Also it's difficult to arrange tables to keep social distancing depending on shape too. We went to my daughters restaurant the other night and all the tables were in lines. Usually they look more attractive and Cosy  if they're set at an angle but it looked more like a canteen. Still the food was as always perfect. I haven't seen what my sons restaurant is set out like but he has a few more options than his sister. Neither have been really busy sometimes doing nothing at lunch time or evening, but it's early days and I think people are scared to go out. Neither of them think it will be a busy year as they both have a lot of tourists during the summer and at the moment there aren't any around. As long as they keep ticking over they'll get through this inventing new things to do and make.

The authorities seem to think that in October we will get a second wave of this virus and are advising everyone as they do every day to be very aware and not to take phase 2 too lightly , keep masks on in public transport and crowded places. 

So pleased for you and my cousins in Australia. That you seem to be in the best position hope it continues for all of us. Keep safe.

• Like 3

So after much consideration of the new easing criteria, the figures both government (don’t really trust them - neither figures nor government, it would be the same if Labour was giving out these figures by the way) and the ONS are giving out along with the scientists saying it is too early to ease lockdown yet, I have decided I am not at stay alert I am still at stay home.

Luckily I don’t have to go out to work, can get online shopping occasionally when needed and if I do occasionally go out have masks/face shield that I can wear along with socially distancing so I have this choice unlike many others. I am going to hunker down and wait for the second wave which is possibly going to hit, although I sincerely hope not. Hopefully the track, trace and test will suddenly improve and help stop it but on the track record recently I am not that optimistic unfortunately.
I have a relative who is going to have to go into school later in June that I am really worried about, really don’t want them to be one of the “heroes” (spelling) just want them to be safe and well. Don’t quite see the correlation between just having 6 people in your garden socially distanced, but possibly 15 to 20 kids in an enclosed, usually unventilated (a lot of schools don’t have windows you can open now - the dreaded H&S), climate controlled classroom without even a mask between them.
On a purely selfish note I won’t be able to see them until the schools have broken up and they have done the regulatory 14 days isolation as they are paranoid about passing the virus onto me as I come in the elderly classification (personally I like to think I am just wiser, other people are elderly). I realise a lot of other people are in a similar situation, but it doesn’t make it easier for any of us. 
I am heartened to see the improvement in many countries, which shows it can be done, we are an island after all like New Zealand who seem to have really got a handle on this from what I have read. Well done them, perhaps we could learn a lesson from them.

Finally, just to say this isn’t an attack on the Conservative party as such, I would feel the same whoever was in power and had handled this situation so cavalierly (is that a word?).

To top it off two of my rose bushes have decided they are going to the big garden in the Sky no matter how much tlc I have given them. It never rains but it pours!:(

• Like 5

There is a debate over the grandchild going back to school. The school have promised no more than 15 pupils per class and close supervision of distancing. Yeah right, that's going to happen with a school full of 6 and 7 yr olds. And why 15, what's so magic about it? If it's spacing in class that's going to last all of 10 seconds come playtime.

Nor have they mentioned the congregation at the school gates when the little dears are dropped of or collected. I was in two  minds when Boris said it will be OK but 4 members of SAGE now say it's too early -  I think I will err on the side of caution.

Why don't they simply start the big summer holiday now and have 6 weeks to see what develops. What would be so terrible about holiday now and start back mid July?

• Like 2

Agree SG and Brew. Schools should be closed until sept like ours. Also when they start back masks will be compulsory and social distancing. What are they thinking about , you cannot control children to that extent. ,

I haven't been following  U.K. News but I did hear something which made me wonder if I'd heard right about schools going back. Here the children and teenagers who were doing important exams have completely lost a year.

I know everyone wants to get the economy going again but to what risk. Numbers will increase and then it'll be back to lockdown like we've been threatened. It's just not worth it. 

Keep safe.

I know it's not Nottingham but I thought I'd share our good news...

No active cases on the Isle of Man at the moment.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/island-has-no-active-coronavirus-cases/

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Around 350 UK deaths in the last 24 hours. Again..

Difference today being that the Govt's pet scientist on the Daily Update actually admitted that 'Deaths are not coming down as fast as we'd like...'  Well 'No S*** Sherlock!!!'

I do believe it's a couple of weeks since I stated that as a result of Johnson's inane and confusing blatherings.. we would see a spike in a couple of weeks..

Not a spike yet.. but a failure to fall means that we all die.  Ok, my calculations make it 508 years for that to happen at current rates.. but still..

12 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

Ok, my calculations make it 508 years for that to happen at current rates.. but still..

Bags I go last...

Typical Tory....  :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

( It's a joke.... :) )

• Like 1

I supposed it had to come, face masks to be compulsory from the 15th on public transport... Make sure you got yours RR it probably applies to airplanes as well.

Edit: It's face coverings not necessarily clinical masks and yes aircraft are included..

17 minutes ago, Brew said:

It's face coverings not necessarily clinical masks and yes aircraft are included..

After my recent post about where to get masks and how much do they cost........there's lots of places online showing how to make your own mask using an old t-shirt, a pair of scissors, and a few safety pins.

Blue Peter would be having a field day.

• Like 2

Maybe Boris should order them to be distributed free of charge. We've already had 2 separate deliveries and they do come in handy.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Blue Peter would be having a field day.

Quick, buy shares in sticky backed plastic...

To me, it seems obvious that an infected person wearing a mask is a bit less likely to spray droplets around.. and a non -infected person is a bit less likely to catch said droplets.

Not exactly a 'win-win'. but more of a 'lose a bit less -lose a bit less'.

It all helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1