2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

Im total atheist but love church architecture and hymns. Berridge to thank for the latter. 

Unless it's For The Beauty of the Earth. It was the only hymn Mr Alan Parr could play...with all two fingers!  Every time I hear it, I'm back in the hall at Berridge!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

I know my British friends won't get this, but this subject is getting worse than "little" Mike's adverts everywhere until he dropped out of the Presidential race. $500 million spent too.

Apart from those that contract the virus and for the many that will die as a result there will be countless thousands (millions?) who will suffer hardship as a result of losing their jobs or having their working hours reduced. Those on casual or zero hours contracts will be the first to be impacted as employers contract and lay off staff particularly in tourism and hospitality and then later in the manufacturing and retail sectors as supplies from China dry up. Already in Australia those looking to rebuild after the devastating fires are facing shortages of materials.

The economic dry's have a lot to answer for as have the politicians who have let this country put all its eggs in the basket we call China and we now have little capability or capacity to make stuff ourselves.

The economic impact of what is happening will be severe and last for many months

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Due to the Covid 19 virus supermarkets have announced the following per person purchase restrictions until further notice.

Tesco - 2  Hand Sanitisers and a single pack of toilet rolls

Sainsbury's - 1 Hand Sanitiser, 500g of rice and 1 pack of toilet rolls

Waitrose - 1kg of rice, 1kg of dried pasta, 4 toilet rolls and 2 hand sanitisers

CO-OP - 2 Hand sanitisers, 12 toilet rolls and no limit on rice or pasta

Aldi - A Mig Welder, a set of pans, a pink sports bra and a pair of wellies

• Like 3

Do you know Jill, I cannot recall for certain who accompanied the Hymns in morning assembly. I know there was the very large book, at least 4 feet by 2 of a thick paper sheets hanging on the right hand side of the stage with all the words on it. I sometimes got the job of going first thing to change it to ‘that’ mornings hymn. I have a vague recollection that a woman was bought in to play the piano some times but it’s a bit of a blank. I’ll think on it. I know you don’t recall the stage at all. I remember there was a record player in light coloured wood with a large round speaker covered in brass mesh at the back of the hall that played music, usually some classic piece, as we all marched in for assembly. Funny how I remember that but I loved ‘gadgets’ so would have noted that. I think that was dragged out when we had to do some dreaded dancing. It had a red glass/plastic dome the front with lamp indicating it was on. I do recall that one of the teachers in the infant school was a very accomplished pianist.  

18 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Result 'Species jumping Viruses' (Virii? ).

The noun virus has a Latin root, but is one of the few nouns that has no plural in Latin. It occurs only in the singular. The English plural viruses (which adheres to the standard rules for forming plurals) is the only way to make the noun virus plural.

You were correct first time Col.

• Like 1

Aren't we in danger of running off-topic here with discussion on hymns at school?

The Trump's announcement yesterday seems far more relevant and important.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Update from my earlier post,

Daughter in law was in Walmart Scotsdale Arizona earlier, the hoarders continue to strip the shelves of toilet rolls, pasta etc, moreso after Trump's announcement,

but have now stripped ,

Cleaning products, inlcuding wipes

Cold and flu remedies

Dog food (not cat food as there aren't many, they get eaten by the Coyotes)

Walmart is twice the size of the largest stores we normally see here and they've got 2 of them for a population about the same as the City of Nottingham.

D in L managed get some pasta this time, she's Vegitarian so eats a lot of it.

And they were all due over here to visit in May,, think that's off now.

FMtI2FD.jpg

12 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

And also...why the obsession with pasta, which has disappeared from shelves.

Pasta is a good standby in an emergency. Mix it with anything you like, veg, chopped fresh tomato and cheese. Here it's like being without potatoes or chips if we don't have a few packs.

We eat it frequently it's cheap, healthy and has lots of varieties . If you run out you can always make your own with eggs and flour.

7 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

The economic dry's have a lot to answer for as have the politicians who have let this country put all its eggs in the basket we call China and we now have little capability or capacity to make stuff ourselves.

I sympathise with the sentiment Otz but it's a little disingenuous to place the blame with the politicians. Simple economics and market forces are to blame i.e. who buys all  the Chinese made goods? Ordinary people have a choice in the shops, Australian/Western made stuff or cheap and cheerful Chinese crap - guess what they go for...

It's the same the world over the Chinese are being allowed to dump goods in the market at a fraction of home made stuff, in that respect politicians are not helping (unless your name is Trump), but the main culprits are we the people....

Now can anyone translate theses instructions?...

• Like 1

The demands of the trade unions pushed up labour costs. That was fair enough as they were doing their best for their members. However the Chinese could make the same products for lower costs so it became cheaper to import. How do you shop? If it’s for a similar product you go to the cheapest supplier (unless you’re a Waitrose customer!)

• Like 1

True but you know better than I they can afford to dump their exports which is partly why Trump had his spat wit them.

2 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Perhaps the first bit of good news on the subject.....seriously.

Apple had closed their shops in China for the last month, but they've now reopened  because they consider the worst may be over.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51870725

Thryve closed those out of China

11 minutes ago, Waddo said:

Hands up, those who want radfordred sh..tng           oh wait sorry.. as you were

Waddo, RR WAS a moderator once.

9 hours ago, jonab said:

Aren't we in danger of running off-topic here with discussion on hymns at school?

Surely one of the joys of this forum is the way it drifts and takes diverse directions. It soon comes back to the topic heading so does it matter. I think every thread on here drifts. I’ve recently been told off for quoting now this. The joy is going. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Herself has just been to town and met up with a couple of friends. The shops are seemingly empty of hand sanitisers, something that has alarmed her on the basis they must know something she doesn't

She is starting to become quite nervous to the point of refusing to use the tram and the park and ride as she usually does. Keep calm and carry on is not working here I'm afraid. :(

• Like 1