2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I explained it clearly enough last night I thought.  In my view, the Govt. response relies on younger people doing 'the right thing' in order to minimise spread and therefore pressure on the NHS and by 'knock on' risk to the elderly and vulnerable.

Clearly that is never going to happen voluntarily so how does the government, any government act? Curfew? Segregation? Lockdown? how would it be controlled or policed?  I'm no fan of Boris but in this instance where no one, not even the scientists, know for sure what to do I can't really say he is or isn't doing his best'

He and his cronies are living and working in the most densely populated  part of the country, logically they will be at the greatest risk and self preservation says that if there was anything they could do that is not already being done they'd do it pretty damn quick.

I'm not implying it's  miasma or  anything of the sort. The principle transmission is airborne, through the air when an infected person coughs, sneezes or even breathes heavily which is why the supposed safe distance is 2 mtrs. Personally I don't believe there is a 'safe' distance so I don't get up close and personal to anyone not family.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

My daughter in law is Slovakian, been here a long time but makes frequent visits to family. The family are close to the Hungarian boarder so she flys in and out of Budapest which is her nearest airport. She’s just returned here  yesterday from a family visit and had a hell of a job as anyone crossing the boarder out of Slovakia (Slovakian subject that is) can return but must self isolate for 2 weeks and failing to do so results in a fine. Her friend could not drive her as she has to work so couldn’t afford 2 weeks off. In the end she borrowed a car and left it near the airport and a friend who doesn’t work is collecting it soon. It’s policed very strictly apparently but not sure how.

• Like 1

I’m in exactly the same position, letsavagoo. I’m 71 with a long standing heart condition. We, too, look after grandchildren. I’m really not trying to be a doom monger, but just can’t see how self isolation of the over 70s would possibly work. Even if we eventually go down the martial law route, with troops checking birth certificates, how can they stop the under 70s going home to the over 70s!? Surely for a mass isolation policy like this to be effective, there has to be absolutely no contact between different families/individuals/groups, with troops leaving provisions at your front gate.

As a matter of interest, I’m supposed to be going on a Mediterranean cruise with P&O, departing 16th April. No word from P&O, other than they will give you a future cruise credit if you cancel. Frankly, this is no good to me. I’ve already got another cruise booked in October, and have already spoken to the missus about giving up cruising as my travel insurance costs the earth and will not get any cheaper. I’ve looked at the port schedule for Split, one of our destination ports, for April and May. Every cruise line that has berths booked has suspended cruising - except for P&O! Could that be because if I cancel the cruise they’ll give me a credit, whereas if they cancel I have a better chance of getting a full refund?

Hmmm. Stand-off! Being a curmudgeonly old bugger I’m determined not to blink first. I might be the only passenger - if they let me on, being over 70!

Let's not panic too much, we're doing what we think is right , until someone comes up with a proper solution all we can do is what we feel is right. Self isolation seems to be the best solution at the moment. Take care everyone.

• Like 3

Just as a sidethought (probably not a word) but has anyone got any references to nostradamus and his predictions. Can't get his book here, but from what I've read before, he's not been wrong. Wonder if he predicted this scenario!!

I started to look at old moores  almanac but got interested in something else and forgot about it.

Anyone know where I can get a fake ID?  
I don’t believe that as a teenager, wanting admission to clubs and pubs, I got a fake ID to make me older. Now at 70 and 6 months old I want some evidence that I’m younger than I actually am. 

You little tinker Lizzie... why didn't I think of that? Perhaps we could start a cottage industry selling not quite 70 ID cards. Any one got a laminator?    thumbsup

Lizzie when Deborah was small she asked my mother why didn't she put polyfiller on her face to hide her wrinkles. 

From what I understand washing hands is more effective, so if you have no alcohol sanitiser for when you have to go out, take a small container with a mixture of liquid soap and water. Wash your hands with that and then dry them with baby wipes, keep them in your car or as I do in my wifes handbag, her handbag contains every thing I can think of and there is room left.  Not the ideal solution but it is better than nothing. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

You're right trogg and here's why:

"Soap contains fat-like substances known as amphiphiles, some of which are structurally very similar to the lipids in the virus membrane. The soap molecules “compete” with the lipids in the virus membrane. This is more or less how soap also removes normal dirt from the skin.

The soap not only loosens the “glue” between the virus and the skin but also the Velcro-like interactions that hold the proteins, lipids and RNA in the virus together.",,, Pall Thordarson is a professor of chemistry at the University of New South Wales,

Basically what she said (if I've understood it properly), is that soap literally makes the virus come unglued and fall apart.

• Like 3

Amazing how hard it is to get the basic facts...eg bleach..after going down some avenue of a miracle cure..turned out he was drinking it! I do not recommend this!

So I resort to knowledge..this site

Bleach..found out it kills the bugger..but maybe not outdoors..??! This was from a 'Reputable' British newspaper..site

Soap and Water.. better with hot water or same with cold?

I don't have hot water on tap.

What happened to the public information film...I might be thick.. that's why i need it ramming down my  throat!

• Like 1

Concerning over 70's isolation.  I very much doubt that the Govt. will come up with a legal requirement. It's not their style full stop, but also even they know it would be all but unenforceable.  And anyway, as was clearly demonstrated by old 'Rabbit in the Headlights Hancock' today.. they are very far from having thought this through.

I suspect they'll come up with a 'very strong recommendation..' to avoid contact with people, crowds etc.. and to stay home as much as possible...maybe re-inforced with a statement that hospital beds and ventilators are getting 'a bit like Hen's Teeth'.

Many of us are already doing that... and in a minor Facebook disagreement with a former girlfriend from 55 years ago I stated that I'll hide in a broom cupboard for 6 months if it saves me from this virus.

12 hours ago, HSR said:

Amazing how hard it is to get the basic facts...eg bleach..after going down some avenue of a miracle cure..turned out he was drinking it! I do not recommend this!

Bleach..found out it kills the bugger..but maybe not outdoors..??! This was from a 'Reputable' British newspaper..site

Bleach does not rely on complex 'antibacterial/antiviral' science.  Quite simply it uses oxygen and chlorine to literally dissolve bacteria, viruses and.. if you aren't careful.. your skin.  My test of a bleach solution.. admittedly crude, but it works.. is to see if it makes my skin feel a bit slippy/soapy.  If so.. it's strong enough... but maybe best washed off skin with clean water after being used to dissolve bugs on surfaces etc.  And no.. don't drink it.

Bleach solution deteriorates once out of the sealed bottle as it loses the Oxygen which makes it work., so keep it sealed or make fresh.

My Chemistry is more than rusty.. but IIRC, Bleach breaks down eventually to a solution of salt or similar.. which is also no slouch on the bug killing front.

• Upvote 1

Woolworths here have announced that they are having dedicated shopping hours for oldies between 7:00am and 8:00am, nice gesture, but if they think I am getting up at that time to go shopping they must be feckin mad.

Current Australian stats 298 cases, 27 recovered and unfortunately 5 people have died.

This is out of a population of 25 million. The hotspot appears to be NSW, (Sydney?) with 134 cases not surprising given that it is the state with the largest population and the density of people in Sydney.

In our little corner of Oz we have 20 cases out of a population of 1.75 million.

Take care and keep well everyone

16 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Stock up on more wine,

Do you have drive thru bottle shops (off licenses) in the UK?

I don't have to get out of the car to replenish supplies of grog, effectively minimising risk when stocking up on the essentials of life.

I have not posted for sometime but have popped back to say to you all take very good care of yourselves, live your life as you think best. Maybe when everything is back to normality have a huge meet up xxxxx

Gem, Mum and Aunty

• Like 5

Just been up to our surgery, to take a repeat prescription in. Walked through the door to find a white line a metre and half away from the counter and the receptionist saying stay there and pass your prescription  over, she took it from me wearing a big paper tissue on her hand. :mellow: Apparently, they are trying to discourage people going into the surgery.

The lady gave me a telephone number to order my next prescription.  Where can I get a bell and a sign to hang round my neck saying "UNCLEAN"! And how in Hell you supposed to see a doctor?