• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

The serious rumour squad has told me today that one of the Doctors and a receptionist at my local surgery are positive for the virus. I assume you use the same surgery as me Phil Mayfield. Get well soon but stay away from the Docs.

Phil, You said you had your op with spinal anaesthesia .... was the bone saw noisy or did they give you headphones to listen to music?   (I've been in theatre many years ago watching similar ops)

All the best for your speedy recovery - I bet you're pleased it's all over and done with.  It's the waiting for the op that's the worst, I think. xx

Stuart C Thanks for your response but I still think schools should be closed. I see that Boris has changed his tune in a couple of things as regards pubs and public places. I don't think people are realizing how quickly this virus is spreading. The truth about it being in Italy before  Christmas could or could not be true , the problem is that most of the cases were diagnosed as flu, so,who knows. People are now saying they had covid19 symptoms long before Christmas when they were or had returned from their holiday. We got it from a Chinese couple who have recently recovered and been released from hospital. I realize parents have to take their children to school and look after smaller ones and it isn't a problem but what if the parent contracts the virus and passes it on to her child? It's a difficult decision and an even more extreme situation. Here I suppose we are lucky to have a government that is helping parents with baby sitters etc by paying them ..British people are sociable like the Italians and to congregate in a pub, club or whatever usually means lots of people together, I hope the locals decide to drink at home. But I think that total closure will come eventually. I hope I'm wrong and that U.K. evades this problem.

Today we have an increase of 3009 cases, making a total of 23,000+. No wonder we are careful and worried.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Phil, You said you had your op with spinal anaesthesia .... was the bone saw noisy or did they give you headphones to listen to music?   (I've been in theatre many years ago watching similar ops)

All the best for your speedy recovery - I bet you're pleased it's all over and done with.  It's the waiting for the op that's the worst, I think. xx

After getting up at 5am I slept through it!

• Upvote 1

Boris Johnson was very careful with his wording about pubs, etc. By advising people to avoid them, the businesses cannot claim on their insurance for unforeseen closure or business interruption.

I’ve already seen one chef talking about losing the six-restaurant business he’d build up from scratch, and pub owners talking about having to shut down.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Just emerged from my hip replacement and I'm back amongst the living feeling great

Don't worry Phil, You will soon be galloping off to the Waggon for a pint or two - Keep well

12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Gem, you look after yourself too and take extra special care of your lovely mum and auntie.

Thank you Jill, hope this will make you smile.... two questions from my oldies, can you panic buy Jamesons and why on earth are people bulk buying toilet roll.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Gem, you look after yourself too and take extra special care of your lovely mum and auntie.

Thank you Jill, hope this will make you smile.... two questions from my oldies, can you panic buy Jamesons and why on earth are people bulk buying toilet roll.

It seems all Doctors Surgeries in England (maybe rest of UK ) have switched to emergency mode.

At mine.  No longer possible to book appointments online.  Only way is to get past a telephone 'triage'.

I can't say I blame them because the legendary idiocy of the great British public wouldn't take long to see CV cases turning up and infecting all their staff.  I didn't want an Appt. anyway.

I did manage to get a response to a couple of queries about my Meds via an eConsult.  I asked for a brief  phone chat with a GP and it would have been just that.. but they sent me a written reply instead.  I also asked for an opinion on the safety of visiting the Dentist given the incomplete security of masks, the close proximity issues and the fact that a  well meaning Dentist could be asymptomatic and infected. The response?  " Your call Col.."  Oh well...

Mrs Col and I are now into full 'Social Distancing' mode.  She knows that if the bug gets me.. I could be in deep trouble. That's not a definite.. but I'd rather not test it.   We've been pretty much there for a couple of weeks anyway.  Unless Govt. plan changes yet again.. that takes us to 1st week in June.  I can deal with that so long as we can get bits we need one way or another and it seems Iceland and others are opening early for 'Olds Only' for an hour.

Mrs Col seems resigned.  I can still go for walks, but due to female issues Mrs C can't walk far from 'facilities'.   I've told her we can jump in the car and got to a nice park or similar for a change of scene when necessary.  We just need to avoid people.

Youngest has been on the phone all day checking what we need and what she can get for us etc.  I've told her we are fine.  We have all we need for a good few weeks.  Meanwhile I know she's panicky herself because she takes after me.  However she asked her boss who is London based.. whether she could work from home instead of her Manchester base.  Boss said 'Absolutely'  'Get the hell out of there and I'll square it if anybody complains."  It's Govt advice anyway.  So she's going in to pick up her Laptop and stuff she needs tomorrow.. then working from home.  It makes sense as all reduction in movement and contact must be a good thing.. but I do feel for people who are stuck in front line jobs and can't do the same.

Quite annoying reading some of the screams on Facebook.  "They aren't going to lock me up!!' etc.  Nobody is locking anybody up.. but I wish they'd do it to some of the selfish buggers who still insist it's 'just a cold.'  Youngest told me she was talking to a clearly upset lady who was stacking shelves in Aldi.  She'd been taken off the tills because she'd had a 'stand off' with some pillock who insisted on paying for his stuff with a £20 note he'd just taken out of his mouth.  Pig ignorance.

You couldn't make it up.

Yet meanwhile all sorts of Community groups are setting up to make sure the old and vulnerable are OK.  Anything from a bit of shopping to just a phone call and a chat.  That's more like it.  I'd be happy to deliver stuff so long as I can avoid actual close up contact and there's zero risk in a phone chat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Having a coffee in an almost empty bakery yesterday I overheard some old blokes talking about Covid 19 and one said quite emphatically that the Chinese should foot the bill for what is happening as they alone started this pandemic through their disgusting habits.

Interesting viewpoint!

Not directly connected with CV,  but yesterday Paul and I took our daughter to Butlins at Skegness (she'd booked her 4 day break ages ago) and we were allowed to take her inside the site to settle her in as she has a few problems.  Paul went to a toilet there and when he came out he told me that a man had come out one of the cubicles, presumably after doing a poo and  never washed his hands at all!!   Even in this current state of affairs it seems that some people will never change their disgusting habits.  

Butlins have been updating their situation regularly re CV .... I wish they'd decided to ' shut up shop' before she went yesterday but they didn't seem to think it was necessary, just gave guidelines about what to do if someone became unwell.  Their last update was 14 March .... maybe there'll be another update today.

12 hours ago, Rob.L said:

Boris Johnson was very careful with his wording about pubs, etc. By advising people to avoid them, the businesses cannot claim on their insurance for unforeseen closure or business interruption.

I’ve already seen one chef talking about losing the six-restaurant business he’d build up from scratch, and pub owners talking about having to shut down.

My son and daughter with a restaurant each are having the same problem. My son has 3 children and they've been off school for ages. The eldest one should have his final exam this year but doubt it will take place. This exam will form his future.

We are in a worse situation though as everything here but essentials ( chemist and supermarkets) are on lockdown. We are forced to stay indoors ( on trust) otherwise we are fined. 

I feel sorry for U.K. in a situation with businesses suffering through no fault of their own but unfortunately that's the way of things whether we like it or not. We certainly don't like it but we are all trying very hard to pull together. AND WE WILL WIN. Everyone is in the same boat .

What do restaurant and pub owners want to do? Stay open and risk a pandemic or close and hope it won't spread any further. I know what I would do. I'm 78 this year but I'm not ready to let this virus infect me, I have plans for my next ? Number of years.

Stay safe everyone.

I had a txt earlier about my Iceland order which I do every month. Some of the stuff I usually have is out of stock this time. As I had to go and pick up my prescription decided to go to Heron/Co-op to get what I couldn’t from Iceland as I am going to self isolate from today. Wishful thinking I am afraid, the shops looked like they had been visited by gannets, lots of empty spaces on shelves and freezer.  From what was being said the local Asda and Aldi had been visited by them as well. Seems the toilet roll buyers have now moved onto other things as well. 
I have stocked up on Kai’s food, got 2 bags of his complete arriving tomorrow from my internet pet store along with his treats (wouldn’t dare run out of these) and have a months supply of his beef and chicken to be going on with. 
We will be having our walks every day to get me out of the house, we don’t see many people where we go anyway, and I have got a load of projects to be going on with at home. I am going to miss my clubs/lunches at the local pub, shopping expeditions to Primark etc, but unfortunately needs must. The next step is wearing the “Darth Vader” looking mask if I do go to the shops for anything although I will try to order online for as much as possible.

I was looking forward to the summer after all the terrible weather we have had this winter, had lots of things we were going to do, now it feels like it has been stolen away by this. The worst thing I think is that no one knows for certain when it will end or even if it will become a yearly thing like the flu. Whoever let this cat out of the bag had a lot to answer for!

• Like 2

SG., you take your dog for walks etc., surely it's only fair he should share his chicken and beef with you.:rolleyes:

You never know, you might get to like it.

Wouldn’t dare BK would get the German Shepherd “look” from him. Enough to freeze anyone’s blood!

On that topic, went to Arnold Sainsbury’s today, and it was more like Stalinist Russia than the U.K. No meat, no pasta, no tea or coffee, no bread, no frozen veg, no fresh veg, no bog rolls (of course).

Fortunately, the panic buyers hadn’t got as far as the dog food aisle, so at least our Lab can have his dinner.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I was in Arnold Sainsburys yesterday Rob and it was the same then.  They did have some fresh meat, except chicken.  I wonder why there's panic-buying of water too.  There was a right scramble going on in that aisle. However I did manage to get enough dog food for about a month so old Jack will be OK, hope we don't have to resort to eating it too.   Nobody is admitting to panic-buying but the shelves are empty,  a ridiculous situation.  

Meanwhile, we're already getting 'cabin-fever' and Roger has gone out for a walk in the countryside, without the dog because he is feeling his age ....... the dog not my husband. Although having said that .....!!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Went to Trader Joe's this morning.  They had plenty of everything.  They don't carry paper goods so no problem there unless you need bog rolls, we don't. ;)  They carry a lot of organic foods,  A bit pricier than Wal Mart but well worth it.  Lots of dog food too so the boys were happy when I got home.  The checkout gal told me it was crazy last Thursday and Friday, but they get fresh stock every night, and produce every morning.  Less folks in the store this morning than usual.  A lot less traffic too.

Long way to go for a bag of dog food BK.   As far as I know only in the USA.  I heard somewhere that Joe is rhe brother of the guy that owns Aldi.  Not sure if that's true or not.

Just read on Facebook that all Tesco stores  are going to be closed each night from 10pm - 6am to stop customers going  in and 'snatching' the goods from the shelf stackers as they try to do their work.   Also, they are limiting ALL goods to 3 per customer.... don't know if that includes multipacks.