4 minutes ago, MargieH said:

Just read on Facebook that all Tesco stores  are going to be closed each night from 10pm - 6am to stop customers going  in and 'snatching' the goods from the shelf stackers as they try to do their work.   Also, they are limiting ALL goods to 3 per customer.... don't know if that includes multipacks.

I hope it's true. From what I've seen the situation is getting out of hand

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.

This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can fornicate off!.

Why the supermarkets haven't stopped a lot of this nonesense is beyond me. They have the power to prevent this bulk buying.

People limited to when they can shop, are finding they are unable to purchase what they require. 

Someone working 12 hrs in the NHS isn't able to shop as there's nothing left.

Personally I think some of this is down to people selling the items for a profit.

How do they afford to purchase at such a level? Where do they store it?

Hand sanitiser and toilet roles are being stolen from hospitals.

People not having ate for a week fighting over a loaf of bread I understand. Fighting over a pack of toilet roles leaves me dumbfounded and bemused.

How some of this shower would have coped with the Black Death or the 1918/19 flu epidemic doesn't bear thinking about.

We have an excellent NHS and modern medicine practices on our side.

Just needs a bit of thought for others, which in many cases is found to be lacking.

Apparently even food put to one side for food banks is being taken.

Sadly, apart from the inevitable deaths that are occurring, at the end of this, many people won't have a job, employers will have gone to the wall, a recession will follow.

Maybe, just maybe, a better world will evolve, I somehow doubt it, but I can dream.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

Just nipped into Nottingham to pick daughter up from work. It was like a scene from 28 Days Later. The city was almost deserted.

Her restaurant, which usually has well over a hundred covers on Tuesday nights, had fifteen customers all night. The pubs in Mapperley, where car parks are usually full and taxis queuing up outside were empty, and the chain restaurants normally full of students were shut.

I was concerned about a Dental Appointment as by definition it was going to be a bit 'up close and personal'.  I called up and explained that I'm over 70.. heart trouble etc., but that I do have a broken filling which is just starting to cause occasional trouble.  She told me a lot have cancelled just because they don't want to be in a building with others.  I pressed further and asked if the dentists wear masks.  She 'wasn't sure'.  I cancelled.  So now I'm going to have to check out alternative approaches if I need them.

In my experience most wear a paper mask, mine for 'elf n safety' make the patient wear safety glasses too, no idea  why.

• Like 1

We should not be short of food.  I suppose the disruption to transport and especially international trade might make Lychees, Kumquats and Deepfried Catfish Maw a bit harder to get.. but all this lunatic panicking is insane.  Picko reported actual fighting in Bulwell this morning.

God help the staff in supermarkets, who have enough worries just having to be 'front line' all the time, without having to deal with such cretins. 

Over a month ago now I went out and quietly bought about 30 quids worth of extra canned foods, one pack of pasta and one of rice.  Also got three small hand sanitiser bottles. Over a month ago.  I was just being prudent.  Not panicking and not clearing shelves.  I just saw which way the wind was blowing.

At normal consumption rates I reckon we have about two months supply of food if you like boring food.

Almost  all of that still here as we are working through frozen and fresh stuff.

That said I've had days in the last week where I've barely eaten due to anxiety.  I'm a bit more settled now that Govt seems to finally be taking some action.. though still not enough.  Many groups who are either financially or medically vulnerable are still not clear what happens next.

Last time I shopped I bought a bottle of Brandy and a bottle of Bleach.  Not sure which to drink first!!!

Meanwhile.. our local Co-op remains calm and I've not noticed any particular shortage of essentials.. but it is quite small with narrow aisles, so difficult to keep the regulation distance way from people.  At such time as we do need to shop again I think a trip to one of the stores offering early opening for 'olds' will be it.

Fortunately, we also have a number of farm shops within walking distance .(So long as you think several miles is 'walking distance'), though I don't know how long they'll stay open.

I'm wondering whether it's worth planting a few spuds and carrots. My veg gardening isn't great and until I get a greenhouse I've given up on tomatoes etc.

From a selfish point of view, I'm happy that both daughters and Son in Law are now working from home, though my prospective Son in Law is still delivery driving and hasn't been offered any sort of safety /hygeine kit to protect him. He's ex British Army and Afghanistan.  Nothing changes does it?

50 minutes ago, Brew said:

In my experience most wear a paper mask, mine for 'elf n safety' make the patient wear safety glasses too, no idea  why.

I think the glasses are to keep you clear of bits of your teeth which might be flying about as you get drilled.  Last I heard a Dentists drill can rotate at upwards of 400000 rpm.

When I had an abscess last year the Dentist very wisely put a full face mask on before lancing it.. declaring. 'I've been caught out before..'

However.. I'm not convinced that a paper mask is any sort of defence against CV if the Dentist is, no doubt entirely innocently, breathing CV all over you.

It was the apparent ignorance of the person I spoke to at my dentist which put me off.  Had she instantly and confidently replied .'Yes.. they all wear masks when treating patients'.. I might have gone ahead.  That plus the seeming complete change of staff since I last visited.. didn't inspire confidence.

Meanwhile, I still have a follow up appointment due with the other Dentist who did the root canal after the abscess.  He strikes me as very good indeed, though not NHS.. or cheap.  I'll try to get to speak to him on the phone and see what he thinks.  If he can give me the right assurances I'll get him to sort this filling, even temporarily.

If it all goes really pear shaped... I'll pull the bloody tooth myself.  I wouldn't be the first.

My wife and myself have not bought a single extra item. Nothing. We refuse to be drawn into the current idiocy. It may be a mistake we regret but at least our conscience is 100% clear. I am not the least bit worried about the current situation. I have some health issues and ‘chronic pain’, the by-product of an injury and woke up one day with the realisation that no amount of worry, stress, sulking, depression etc made a jot of difference to the situation. It will remain exactly the same. Common sense and follow advice. Concern yes but I won’t worry. Que Sera sera. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, DJ360 said:

However.. I'm not convinced that a paper mask is any sort of defence against CV if the Dentist is, no doubt entirely innocently, breathing CV all over you.

Apparently the test is: put it under the tap and if water will run through it a virus will get straight through it. A paper mask surely can't be anything more than a dust mask.

• Like 3

Assuming it’s true 750ml Dettol £19.99 500ml £14.99.

We need ration books.

A few years ago I walked into a certain shop in Sneinton. The 2 guys behind the counter had the charity donation container, one of those tube ones, on the counter shaking and poking with a knife. They clearly hadn’t noticed me walk-in and looked very furtive. Went on about needing some change for the till and would put it back. I used to call in for samosas. I told them it was a disgrace, illegal and have never been back there again. People will always take advantage of adversity. Old as time itself. Spivs, black market etc.

• Like 1

DJ 360

My brother in law is a dentist where he employs 11 people between hygienists receptionist nurses etc and they all wear masks and have always done so.

In close proximity it makes sense.

• Like 1

I can't remember how long back I noticed Dentists first wearing masks, probably in the Aids era.

My dentist(s) wear protective goggles/glasses and face masks throughout except at the very end when explaining any further treatment.

The Dental assistant also wears a mask / goggles when using the wet vac to pick up lumps of teeth and the water.

The hygienists that do the jetwashing wear a full face visor as well.

And I'm always given the option of a pair of protective glasses or keep my own glasses on.

I always have the protective ones otherwise my glasses end up with water spash.

• Like 1

My wife visited the dentist for a check up yesterday. She had thought about cancelling but decided to go, our dentists have worn masks for quite some years. The receptionist remarked about half of appointments had been cancelled.

My wife was waiting for some time as in between each patient, a cleaner, also masked, went in and disinfected the room.

• Like 2

Interesting conversation with youngest last night.  She was pretty panicky, concerned for me and Mrs Col and for her partner who is still working on short drop deliveries..

She said that when she left the office to start home working it all finally became real for her and hit home.

I explained how my Grandparents had survived WW1 and the Spanish Flu, followed by the Great Depression and WW2

How my parents had survived WW2, post war rationing etc., around the time I came along. I then explained that in many ways we'd had it much easier since.

(I omitted my customary 45 minute rant about Thatcher etc..      ;) )

I explained to her that this is probably the biggest thing any of us have faced since WW2 and tried to put into words the idea that Jingoistic flag waving ' Up The Empire' 'British Exceptionalism' tripe won't get us anywhere.. And nor will carrying on as normal trying to ignore it. 

But patience, common sense ..quiet determination, proper community spirit and calm will.  I think it is those qualities which got most people through two World Wars etc.

11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I was concerned about a Dental Appointment as by definition it was going to be a bit 'up close and personal'.  I called up and explained that I'm over 70.. heart trouble etc., but that I do have a broken filling which is just starting to cause occasional trouble.  She told me a lot have cancelled just because they don't want to be in a building with others.  I pressed further and asked if the dentists wear masks.  She 'wasn't sure'.  I cancelled.  So now I'm going to have to check out alternative approaches if I need them.

Just did the same thing Col.

I had an appointment for Monday for a couple of minor fillings.  I just told the receptionist I'd reschedule when this blows over a bit.  She didn't seem at all surprised.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

But patience, common sense ..quiet determination, proper community spirit and calm will.  I think it is those qualities which got most people through two World Wars etc.

Try telling the tw#ts that have gone panic buying!!

I often wonder if the panic buyers stop to think that if this thing got as bad as it could (God forbid) All systems could break down.  Where will the extra pack of bog rolls get them than?  

• Like 1

Had to take our dog to the vets on Sunday as he was ‘out of sorts’.  Put him up on the table and before she went near him she put a paper mask on ...... “because of the Coronavirus”   Surely dogs aren’t carriers of the virus?  

• Like 1

I read somewhere that pets can't carry it.  Sure hope not.

I have notifications that both mine are due for a checkup and Bailey needs a trim.  I'm trying to stay home as much as possible so stalling on it for a week or two.  Joys of owning a shaggy dog.  :biggrin:

Just delivered a bulk pack of bog rolls to a guy today. He opens the door before I got there trying to grab 'em off me. Got to take a photo of them at the customers feet now they are no longer allowed to use my HHT. He says "Oh aah I didn't believe it, they are not for me they are for my daughter."    Yeahh right!  :laughing:

• Like 1