I had two deliveries today and I never got near the drivers, both placed on the ground and photos taken, it seems there may be an outbreak of common sense. The wife had rubber gloves on then wiped the packages and then washed the rubber gloves with soap and water before opening the packages.  Overkill, maybe but better safe than sorry.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

It’s called a PDA (personal digital assistant) Royal Mail will no longer be handing them over for you to sign & also stand 2 metres away from you, read more here https://www.royalmail.com/coronavirus?iid=HP_M2_2_CORONAVIRUS

In order to protect both our people and customers as much as possible, we will not be handing over our hand-held devices to customers to capture signatures. Postmen and women will instead log the name of the person accepting the item. This will apply to all deliveries that require a signature. 

Additionally, for all customers (including those who are self-isolating) where we need to deliver any parcel that won’t fit through your letterbox, we will place your item at your door. Having knocked on your door, we will then step aside to a safe distance while you retrieve your item. This will ensure your item is delivered securely rather than being left outside. 

If you are unable to come to the door at all we will issue a ‘Something for You’ card, advising of other ways you can arrange to get your item. For example, by getting a friend or family member to collect the parcel from our local Customer Service Point on your behalf. In this situation, and to keep your mail as secure as possible, they will need to bring along the card we left you and a form of ID in the name of the person the item is addressed to. 

1 hour ago, Stuart.C said:

Hand Held (thing) that you sign.

Its a Hand Held Terminal. Royal Mail refer to them as PDA's. Most courier firms use the same thing but may just be set up differently. 

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, trogg said:

I had two deliveries today and I never got near the drivers, both placed on the ground and photos taken, it seems there may be an outbreak of common sense. The wife had rubber gloves on then wiped the packages and then washed the rubber gloves with soap and water before opening the packages.  Overkill, maybe but better safe than sorry.

We at Hermes were doing the same thing from Yesterday. Include the feet of the customer in the picture, but most are being left in a safe place and a calling card left whether the customer is in or not. If a signature has been demanded (usually by the supplier) we are to put 'covid-19' on the signature screen, instead of the recipient touching the screen.

Was at a customers door today at the same time as a Yodel driver. It seems they couldn't care less - they are still handing the customer the terminal to sign.

That is correct but it won't show that the customer was present at the time of handover hence the customers feet. Presumably not customers face due to privacy laws or similar

• Like 1

I have had 3 deliveries today. Two of them left the parcel by the front door, knocked and retreated to the street and stood by the fence until I opened the door then took my name. The other handed it to me over the fence as I had seen him pull up, took my name and beat a hasty retreat. Glad they did it that way but did make me feel like I had the plague! 
Really hoping Boris closes schools in England I am really worried about a relative that is a teacher. Unfortunately words like stable door, horse and bolted do come to mind.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DJ360 said:

But patience, common sense ..quiet determination, proper community spirit and calm will.  I think it is those qualities which got most people through two World Wars etc

I would that that was true Col, the difference is choice I'm fairly sure that given the abundance we enjoy today things may have been different  . During the times you mention people had little to no choice and I seriously doubt the population back then were any more altruistic then than now. You can't panic or bulk buy with a ration card.

On a slightly more worrying note it is now day five since I returned Sur le Continong and I've developed a cough. Feel fine otherwise, no fever etc. but throat is feeling quite 'raw'.

I've spent most of the day in bed or playing computer games in my office and although I have nowhere I need to go not be able to gp out suddenly weighs very heavy...

Been there Stuart thanks and I'm not too concerned at the moment, I only have the cough and none of the other symptoms. I wouldn't normally think twice about it give the time of year but 5 days after having sat 3 hours on a plane in close proximity to 230 other people... We shall see.

SGirl. Just heard Boris is closing or has closed schools until further notice. Great news, we've been saying for ages that they should be closed. Ours were closed ages ago when CV was first in Italy , then reopened for a week then closed again. My grandchildren are bored stiff. They have their school work via internet but there are 3 of them. Pc's and iPad's are very busy. We are still ordered not to go out , just stay in your own  house. Risk being without auto certification or anywhere out of our own village without a valid cause we face a hefty fine. 

Not a pleasant thought but a necessity for the time being. People are still walking around, on bikes, training and running maybe spreading this virus and they are being tracked by their mobile phones. Yesterday there were a million control checks and 43 were fined for being where they shouldn't be. We feel as though we are prisoners but as long as we keep busy it's not too bad. Tidying drawers, cupboards, watching tv, playing with dogs, cooking , baking, jigsaws, jigsaws and more jigsaws. And doing the things that we say " when I have time I'll "  Yes it's boring but fortunately the weather for the time being is good and we can get in the garden and perhaps a walk down the road. We live in the country and we are only 5 houses. Two neighbours have vineyards so they are out tending them , one has a small child so don't go anywhere the other is in a bungalow further down the road and we never see him in fact don't think he lives there.

So everyone hope you don't get to our stage.

Keep safe and well.

Oh btw we are told by drs to eat well maybe more that usual to keep our health up to scratch and give us more energy to fight this thing off.

1 hour ago, AfferGorritt said:

In these dark times we must enjoy whatever positives there are. THE EUROVISION SONG CONTEST HAS BEEN CANCELLED !!!!

Shame we have already had the San Remo song festival or that may have been cancelled 

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Should be the end of the Eurovision for us, thankfully we left kid.

We were in Eurovision before we joined the EU and could be after we leave. EU membership is not a condition of entry.

Meanwhile as the EU is trying to set up a EU wide system to distribute ventilators to where the need is highest.. they are including us.