Must be difficult for you Ben knowing your love of chatting to people, I did say all people not just females. Staying in the house is difficult that's why I am going to Derbyshire, I am taking a flask and a picnic so I don't have to come in contact with people I am still concerned over the wifes health. She is pleasantly surprised over my concern for her, and I thought I had earned a few brownie points until I said well if anything happened to you I would have to do my own cooking.

So its back in the spare bedroom , length of sentence unknown.

• Like 4
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

I've been so busy decorating and spring cleaning that I haven't really noticed what's going on outside. Took my coffee into the garden yesterday and listened to the birdsong. Very wonderful to hear it again after the winter. Mrs Blackbird was very busy and I watched both her and Jenny Wren who was busy hopping about in the trachycarpus. They are oblivious to the coronavirus or, if they aren't, they are possibly cogitating on the havoc homo sapiens has wrought on the natural world and that what goes round comes round.  They'd be laughing up their sleeves, if they had any.

• Like 5

Enjoy your day in God's county Trogg,,,,i will be going there myself,hopefully in the next few days,,,,drives me mad stopping in,,,thanks for thinking about me and my love of a good chat mixed with friendly 'Banter'.......i only usually talk about my health and speaking probs on my ''Big day'' thread,,,anyway thought i'd just mention it on here,,as its quite relevant........my speaking 'hands free'' style is now very good,,,and most days my voice flows very well,,,even though very deep,,,being 'Vane' i still keep my neck covered,,and don't have to exclude the 'airway' with my fingers,,,.......

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Thought they all wore masks in Sutton Ben, or is it just when they're  holding up the stage coaches. Take care.

(I'll get me coat).

3 hours ago, nonnaB said:

for the one who stole the eggs she should be fined. (no joke)

I was thinking more horse whipped.

• Like 2

Benjamin, I'm so glad you rethought about wearing a mask. Nobody likes it but think now as cases are rising fast that it is a necessary accessary. Keep it up and don't trust anyone, think they could all be infected and stay a long way away.

KEEP SAFE

SG that's more like it well said

2 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I've been so busy decorating and spring cleaning that I haven't really noticed what's going on outside. Took my coffee into the garden yesterday and listened to the birdsong. Very wonderful to hear it again after the winter. Mrs Blackbird was very busy and I watched both her and Jenny Wren who was busy hopping about in the trachycarpus. They are oblivious to the coronavirus or, if they aren't, they are possibly cogitating on the havoc homo sapiens has wrought on the natural world and that what goes round comes round.  They'd be laughing up their sleeves, if they had any.

This was on tv the other afternoon. They were interviewing actors , authors, scientist and all manner of intelligent people and they all said that it was fantastic to hear and see the birds and some wild life returning. All these people were interviewed standing on their balconies 6,7,8 stories up and talking on their phones to cameramen on ground. Wonderful communication, no contact.

• Like 2

Thanks nonna,,,because i breathe thru the hole in my neck (stoma) i think i'm in more danger,,the 'Air' goes directly to my lungs,,,i wear an Air humidifier,which also enables speech.

I've been amazed that so many Medical professional staff ask me to breathe in thru Nose or Mouth,,,.....so to wear a MASK for me would be a waste of time.

My sense of 'Smell' has all but gone,,,i sneeze silently,,my laughter is also silent,,and i can't blow Balloons out...lol

EDIT............Blow Balloons UP..........and Candles OUT...........edit ..2,...thanks Jill.....yes legs in good nick

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Our local was filled with the overbearing Range Rover brigade as we passed yesterday at early doors. They won’t catch it apparently!

biked to ASDA to pick up bread. eggs and tomatoes. dismayed by the SUVs with a dyson in the back to hoover up everything in sight. Further dismayed when I got back and saw the clip of the York critical care nurse in the supermarket car park. (bbc news site) Then, on the same site, saw the long read entitled "what can the UK learn from Italy?" Recommended reading for us all, I think. NonnaB could give us your thoughts?

We are learning from China or trying to seeing as that their numbers of new cases are down to zero for the second day. But knowing that ( when this virus started) that we thought same as everybody else. "China is a long way from us it'll blow over and then after all we won't get it". How wrong we were, even after the virus started in Lombardia we were sorry but although it's not that far from us we thought it won't spread here ( We are just outside Asti) wrong once again. In Piemonte there were only 3 cases which after a while was reduced to 1 as two turned out to be negative. Everyone seems to think the government waited too long to lockdown everything. The schools were closed fairly early but then reopened only to be closed again. We keep hearing odd cases around here but this morning in the next village which is not even 5 minutes in the car away from us, a shop has closed because the wife is infected. And so it goes, more and more infected and we wonder when and whether it will finish. 

We have followed all the countries involved and were really angry about France not doing what we were doing because to us it was the only thing to do to contain the virus. But watching news there were still people walking around , gathering in bars and parks and unseemingly not bothered. This morning my husband phoned his brother in France who said the Chinese drs who came here to help were regretting it because they said the Italians were so undisciplined that's why we had so many cases. A joke because they had a festival for 3000 people celebrating the Smurfs.  But we aren't much better as 40 went to a party and came back all infected. The problem is that people are so arrogant that they think they are immune and they're not. The president of the area of Lombardia is desperate to get across to everyone that it's so important to stay at home. 

Panic buying is so stupid especially as govt says that food will be always available and that's how it's been. Of course some things do run out but to prevent others from buying is criminal. We are lucky ourselves as it's always been a habit of having a stock of provisions in and fortunately we have the space to store everything. We have always done our shopping about once a month and only buyin

g fresh when we need it. I hate going out frequently to shop. We live in the country so it means getting the car out. 

We have already lost about 14 drs helping with this virus hope there aren't any more.

We all have to be vigilant and hope those stupid idiots realize they are murdering others by not being careful.

I haven't read this article but will I promise. Keep,safe everyone

• Like 5

Did some shopping for my 70+ neighbours last night who are self isolating, some of Aldi shelf's were stripped bare but I managed to get everything on their list's except seeded brown bread for Jeanette. Asked another 70+ neighbour if she wanted anything but she does hers online. There seemed to be a very surreal atmosphere everywhere... 

We were supposed to be going to a line dance social at Basford Miners Welfare tonight  but of course it's been cancelled... My wife who's a line dance instructor has had all her classes & socials at Selston cancelled till further notice so we'll be a few quid down per week. Just hoping it doesn't last too long & we don't lose too many good people... All the best to everyone... 

• Like 5

Hi nonnaB you should take extra care as there are many more cases around you as there are in Canada though it is slowly rising many people laid off now most places are closed everybody staying at home i am still working but that could change next week hope the curve is coming down now our thoughts are with you take care Ian.

• Like 4

Apart from Mrs Col.. I have not been close to a single person since 6th March.  Even out walking I've tried to stay away from others.  Yet.. looking around it is clear that many still have no clue.

Most of my neighbours are a simliar age and most have some sort of vulnerability.  Yet.. one... sadly a widow and with health vulnerabilities.. is picking up her Grandkids from school daily and her daughter.. supposedly an 'intelligent' School Teacher' is letting her do so.  She was at school with my Daughter and I'm amazed she ever qualified as a Teacher. Never the smartest.  Worse, she is letting her kids mix with other kids up the street whose Mum has MS.  How stupid and selfish do you have to be?

There are many of us on here who are vulnerable.. and the best advice I can give is look after yourself.  There are some good people out there, but most either don't understand or don't care.. so you need to keep yourself safe.  It is on you.

Both my Daughters understand that contact between us is risky and they are prepared to stay away.  But.. they are also prepared to deliver stuff to us if we need it.. in a 'non contact' sort of a way.   We won't starve for months if we buy nothing else.  I'm trying to stay in regular contact with my beautiful Grandkids by Whatsapp or  WhattEver and it really hurts not being able to give them a big Hug.. but it is what it is.  I miss them.. but I think we'd all miss each other far more if any of us succumbed to this awful Virus.

The one upside is that I'm a miserable old git.. so I don't really miss the curmudgeonly old sods in the pub... :angry2:

• Like 3

Today we have had a meltdown of the total kind. Herself has been holding it together for the most part and with a little encouragement we have been about our daily business about as normally as possible.

She desperately misses her grandson (6yrs old) and the stiff upper lip and  resolve to be upbeat did not survive WhatsApp. A tearful little boy looking into the camera saying "I really miss you mama" broke the dam.  

• Like 2

I intend having my 2 grandsons over to stay with us. They’ve finished school and will be careful in the next week or so with contact others. Mums working from home so assuming they’re well they’re coming to us. Maybe for a few days or weeks. See how it goes. I’m in a rural location and there are nice walks over quiet footpaths and the river nearby. Easy to avoid close contact.

I’m being careful, wearing gloves when out, washing regularly and avoiding close contact but until ordered to do so have not locked myself in and don’t intend to. I spoke at length yesterday, face to face that is from several metres apart in the open air to a recently retired doctor. Very highly qualified from a London hospital. Avoid close contact, keep washing hands well and don’t touch face unless you’re sanitised.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Trying to keep ahead of the curve here by doing a lot of veggie gardening. 6 kg of seed potatoes sown, another 2kg to go. Broad beans doing well. Loads of various seeds to get started in the green house. Collecting a doz grow bags this morning and a couple of replacement perspex panels for the greenhouse. Planning to build a chicken coup and run next week - a mate has some hens sitting so may be a few chicks available soon. Fresh water in the well and fish to be caught - we are ready....

• Like 2

Letsavago. You village used to be fully self contained in 1962. There was a pub, a church, a hairdressers, a shop, a filling station and car repairs. My wife lived with her parents at the top of Willson's Lane. A bit like the plague village at Eyam

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi nonnaB you should take extra care as there are many more cases around you as there are in Canada though it is slowly rising many people laid off now most places are closed everybody staying at home i am still working but that could change next week hope the curve is coming down now our thoughts are with you take care Ian.

Many thanks Ian, yes we are very much aware of this situation and getting more and more worried. My husband and I are in that age that is dangerously closer to getting infected. What makes us so mad as I keep saying, there are too many people walking around or hanging around. Germany in particular at the moment and Monaco where there are too many tourists in spite of Prince Albert of Monaco being infected. Don't suppose many will be near him but still don't these cases make them just a tiny bit concerned.. My husband went out this morning just to pay a debt from yesterday ( he hates owing money) and he was stopped by Carabinieri only 200 mts down the road . He had to explain what he was doing and how long he would be then when he was returning home.

Hes just gone out again to do some shopping from local supermarket. It's all but odds and ends been ordered this morning. No doubt he will be stopped again. That's how it should be. Spain is quickly catching up with us don't know about France  and Germany but think they will quickly follow us. We must learn from each other however silly it is or sounds.. our schools have been told that it will probably be reopened in September. Seeing that they break up in the middle of June it makes sense.

I know you're in Canada but U.K. Imho is being too slow . I heard Boris ( want to call him Karloff) saying that he didn't want people to die. So what's he waiting for, the full blown , everyone infected and hospitals can't cope situation?

We have an excellent health service but they are having difficulty in coping , shortage of medical staff and medication etc. They are now making hospitals out of gyms, sports halls and even the pavilions that they use for the exhibitions. We have news 24 on all day for any new regulations that come in.

We are only allowed to,shop once a week now so it's getting harder to understand and to carry on everyday life.

On a word of warning / advice or call it what you will. This pandemic is getting worse and will worsen as it goes on unless people start to understand the meaning of, STAY AT HOME. It's 3 simple words, keep reading it . 

Keep safe everyone , if we do the things we are supposed to be doing we will beat this.

• Like 2

Yes it's hard to stay away from grandchildren and your sons and daughters. We are in a very close proximaty to our family  ( son, daughter , dil 3 and grandkids. But we keep apart. Son lives above us with his family and daughter lives opposite in her own house . We are in a secluded courtyard, locked gates and walls on either side. I speak to my daughter from the balcony and son passes and opens kitchen door. Grandchildren stay where they are. I haven't seen or heard from them in ages. Besides the fact that they are up to their neck in homework. That's how it's become unfortunately. 

• Like 3

Our postman was telling me this morning that he had a pack of toilet rolls to deliver yesterday.  It was a ‘signed for’ delivery with instructions not to leave with neighbour smile2

• Like 1