• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Holding a gun licence I can tell you he's very foolish to make a joke like that. I can see it's an air pistol but the police  take a dim view of such things.

Anyway Boris is going to address the nation at 20:30, the screw I suspect is about to be turned..

• Like 1

He didn’t actually take the gun out! They didn’t actually give him their shopping! It’s a joke. You’ll be saying the Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman shouldn’t have been together because they clearly weren’t social distancing. Oh, why bother!

• Like 2

I think AG., the idea being the paper not being porous. If water can penetrate a mask so can the virus. Think I  might go upmarket and wear a toastie bag, head inside a goldfish bowl.

I have AG but it's in Italian. Anyway it's simple enough. Take a square of greaseproof paper and pleat it with 3 folds. Flatten it fold over the ends and insert elastic bands and close it with staples. Place it over mouth and nose and open the pleats. It works but they say that it's not a good thing but it's better than nothing.

Ill try to find the link then you can actually see what I mean .

https://youtu.be/yP36UhrqF4Q

They say that this method doesn't really protect you from the virus because it allows moisture etc to escape  because it doesn't fit snugly. But we have used them.

There are plenty more ideas of how to make them on YouTube . Not sure whether this video is working or not it seems to be a bit slow. Good luck.

I think considered medical opinion is that masks do next to nothing with regard to protecting you and may lure you into a false sense of security.  If you happen to enter an area where an infected person has recently coughed (hence into airbourne particles before they settle onto surfaces), chances are that they will get into your system via your eyes (a mucus membrane).

On the other hand, if you are infected, a mask might stop you spreading it around when you cough.  However, a tissue over the mouth would probably be as good if not better at catching the particles.

You'd need an expensive setup to have a high degree of protection, something approaching a firefighter's BA set.

We just need to keep away from each other.  Not sure quite how that works at the supermarket when several folk all want that last bag of rice though!

• Like 2

Just heard that fuel pumps are a point of transmission.  Not sure about the new rules but if you are allowed to get petrol/diesel, they suggest wearing disposable gloves (I always wore gloves for diesel anyway as it's nasty stuff).

• Like 1

At a big birthday party a couple of weeks ago ..........evidently the last social gathering we will be attending for some time ........ I was chatting to Nigel Lymn Rose and suggested to him that his funeral business could become very busy in the next few weeks.  He said that that was not necessarily going to be the case as he’d already had a Government directive setting out how funerals will be taking place once the Corona virus takes hold.  He spoke as if funerals will still take place but nothing like we are used to. He didn’t go into detail but  I was left with a feeling that there could be mass cremations.  Not a good thought ........  

There won't be mass cremations.

I suspect it refers to the military moving bodies from hospital to Crematorium thus bypassing the funeral directors, presumably deaths other than Covid related will go ahead as normal subject to the limit on attendees.

Depressing , we have coffins stored everywhere, we can't cope. They are piled up everywhere as no funerals are allowed.

4 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Depressing , we have coffins stored everywhere, we can't cope. They are piled up everywhere as no funerals are allowed.

Really feel for you there.

Boris is getting this right - and I have never been a fan. He's listening and acting on best advice (unlike some leaders)

We need to get everyone to realise that, if we follow these new rules, we all stay put, and venture out when necessary and within guidelines, the next few weeks will see the virus coming out of those who have it at the moment (and don't know yet) , and , once out, will go nowhere fast.

Also read a fascinating article from a chemistry professor explaining how soap easily wipes out a virus. Way too technical for my mid range grasp, but, as ever, proves my dear old gran was right.

Take care all

• Like 1

Is the 'cremation rather than burial' approach due to sheer numbers, time to dig graves, lack of space, etc. rather than persistence of the virus?  I don't think we are in the realms of a dormant threat as we were with the anthrax bacterium.

Currently Cremations can not be done if it's against the wishes of the deceased, presumably from the will or last wishes.

However within the new legislation if there are local issues with disposal of bodies then this can be over-ruled, but would have to be area by area.

The paperwork required has also been ammended.

Bodies are covered in the legislation page 314 onwards,, schedule 27.

On the link I posted on page 14 earlier.

On a slightly lighter note on a document for the NHS procedures for discharging recovered patients the process is, Discharge from bed to waiting area with 1 hour of decision. Then discharge from hospital within 2 hrs of that, to home or care of others as appropriate.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/03/covid-19-discharge-guidance-hmg-format-v4-18.pdf

Have also made them out of dogs pads that they wee on. Sorry can't remember what they're called. The only trouble with these are that to keep them on for a while you can't breathe.!!! They have waterproof backing so probably these aren't recommended. But it's some sort of protection and the air will enter from near the mouth.

Stuart C. Don't know what the situation is with all these coffins. Funerals cannot take place due to the amount of people all together in one place. The coffins are piled up in offices and anywhere there is space. Having said that there are a few funerals taking place but as they exit in the funeral cars only one relative is allowed but has to stay outside the gate and not touch the coffin. Sad for those deaths but even sadder for the families that can't say goodbye to their loved ones.

Another thing I've just seen . Lots of people are " buried" in what I call pigeon holes. They are called Locoli, they're buildings with so many spaces to put coffins and they are sealed up at funerals. But the problem is also there aren't enough of these Locoli so they will have to build more, but whose got time.

I've just watched Boris's speech. Yes he's sure changed his tune. He states almost word for word what we've been saying all along. I feel he's still hanging back a bit by not officially putting a lockdown on all activity and activities, closing parks, gyms, shops etc. 

We cannot do anything about our situation that we are not already doing. We now have total lockdown with new rules that it's wise to obey. Having to carry a document that allows us to go to shop, collect medical,supplies , go to bank or post office etc. We cannot take the dogs out anymore than 50 yards from home, no running , walking etc.

I think Boris although he's obviously realized the seriousness of this virus has been a bit late in fronting it as  we did at the beginning. Why doesn't everyone follow advice of those deeper in it than them.

Me'nall but bored out me brains enni. Don't normally go out much do I  but nah I can't I wanna do stuff, know what I mean...