• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Oh dear MD how awful.Hope if it proves positive positive that it's only mild. Take care.

Glad you're feeling a little less rough.  Yes it must be very hard being away from your wife , hearing from her but not being able to actually see her and be with her. 

I watched the daily briefing with amazement last night especially wondering which country Dr Jenny Harries is in.

This is the person who said it was okay for people to congregate outside in large crowds. Football fans from Spain then came over for a match in Liverpool from Milan where there were a lot of cases.Suprisingly Liverpool became a hotspot, I wonder why. At the time Spain had stopped football matches. Cheltenham Races also went ahead.  I would have thought anyone would perhaps have thought if you get a contagious person in a crowd the disease is going to spread, but of course I am not a “scientist”. I presume this was the “herd immunity” that, I think it was, Chris Witty spoke about which was dropped when they realised the amount if deaths this would cause.
She also said last month we had a “perfectly adequate supply of PPE”. We have all seen how that worked out over the past few weeks. 
Yesterday took the biscuit, apparently we are an “international exemplary in preparedness” and we had a “containment phase and it was successful”. On the first statement the answer is, I am sure, no we weren’t and on the latter if it was successful why did we have to go to phase 2 when it was appearing that the virus was getting out of control? I don’t know how she says these things with a straight face to be honest. 

It seems she doesn’t believe that general testing (if we could get it done which looks very unlikely), contact tracing etc. doesn’t work. Then why have the countries that have done this not had so many deaths if it makes no difference. It seems nearly all other countries are doing more testing than us are they all wrong?

Whilst not absolving those that call themselves a government (I am not a labour supporter so have no axe to grind with the conservatives) from this shambles I wonder how much of this so called “science” is to blame for our position at the moment. 
Personally I think schools should have been closed earlier. Another pearl of wisdom from Dr Harries was that children only get it mildly. Okay but what about those who they pass it onto?

We lost a lot of time at the start, should have locked down instead of the first voluntary social distancing and I believe the population is paying the price now. I am so angry that all of these people have died before their time, that their families have had to go through this, that  the NHS staff are not being protected and having to deal with all this tragedy (sorry clapping although showing our thanks just isn’t enough), that care workers seem to have been left to just get on with it and more selfishly that my way of life has been changed for the foreseeable future. I just want my life back with the plans I had made for the next few years, whereas I can see being in this “lockdown” for quite some time yet (funny I never thought of myself as being elderly, that was always someone else).

Sorry this rant is so long, going to have a cup of tea now and, although I haven’t had one since just after Christmas, I could reeeaaallly smoke a ciggie. Suppose I had better fill up my vapey thing better than nothing:huh:

• Like 7

Good post and relevant, SG. I made some of these exact strong points in a general short post 4 weeks ago.

So I support your view. But I got a snarky slap down to my post with a video of a singing child  ventriloquist.

I hope you'll be given a more mature considered response.

• Like 2

Enjoyed your 'Rant' Stavertongirl''  dint read it all,bit long for me...just had half hour bike ride,,first for a week or 3...and with my medical condition (Laryngetamee,,probably spelt wrong)  and being the age i am (old)  dare not stop and talk to anyone.......where was i ?....oh yes SG cigs,,been nearly 2 years now,,and i could still murder one,,especially after a little bike ride,,so if you do light up give us a shout and i shall mentally share,,,:crazy:

• Like 3

SG I agree . I think all the countries involved in this virus have taken too long to bring in rules. First to stop travelling , then closing schools etc  We are all guilty (governments) and now suffering the consequences. We were on the decrease in our province but its started going up again with new cases. Deaths and recoveries are decreasing thank goodness but there's a long way to go yet. Now they are talking about phase 2 then a bulletin comes up that we are a long way from coming out of phase 1. 

My son and daughter both have a restaurant and are getting worried as to when they can reopen. My daughter says she will.open when there are zero cases. My son says he will wait to see what restrictions are in place. It's easier for my son as if the restrictions say that they can only accommodate 15 covers he has the dining area and a courtyard with 5-6 tables do he can easily distance them.  15 inside and 15 outside. My daughter has her large ding room.with a smaller room enough for just one large table so it's more difficult for her. Shes now thinking out a new menu to start off. A small gastronomic menu for takeaways. She says she doesn't care if they have to reduce their original menu as long as they can work. I'm afraid that people will be too afraid to go out to eat. Hope not

Hopefully Nonna,,,when this thing is over''..........ooer the last line could have been from an old British movie''   ''when this thing is over darling''...........anyway when it is i reckon folk will be more than ready to get out and enjoy life again,,so reckon your family will be busy,,,

Even the very simple things in life are starting to be sorely missed,,,don't eat out a lot nowadays but when i do i thoroughly enjoy it,,wether just me and the wife or girlfriend or the whole family,,,if the 2 metre distance thing still applies,,,we can sit opposite ends of table and shout  '''DO YOU WANT THIS COB DUCK?''.......then throw it,,,meals out could be a lot more fun....seriously i think it could be about a year,,but we'll get back to almost normal,,whatever that is................

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Your both right many people think things will be back to normal before to long, some are still thinking about holidays late summer. It will be many years before things are "normal" again what ever the normal will be then. We started the  lockdown 2 weeks before any one else and in that first period only went out once, up to Curbar Edge where we never went near anyone else.  I cannot see us going to crowed places even when allowed until this virus has gone and they have a vaccination that has proven to work. But on the bright side we are both still here and can find plenty of things to do to enjoy ourselves. But then as the wife keeps telling me I am a miserable old sod.lol

• Like 4

I have booked a cottage in Ireland for June, can't see that happening. Maybe September. Even if things get back to "normal" people will still be very wary of mixing with other people. A lot of pubs will not re open because people have got out of the habit of going for a drink or they will be frightened of mixing with others.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, denshaw said:

Even if things get back to "normal" people will still be very wary of mixing with other people. A lot of pubs will not re open because people ...... will be frightened of mixing with others.

I think I will be one of those.......going into a pub and looking for the quietest corner which no-one else has found.

Until there has been a period of a few months with no new outbreaks, many people will be thinking "is it really safe now ?"

• Like 1

I work as a concierge in a hotel, so I have been on furlough. Talked with my manager today and she said that there are no bookings until early July and those are corporate bookings for conferences. The last places to open will be hotels, cafes, restaurants and pubs. June at the earliest. Its a 5 star hotel with Michelin star so wont go under, but many other hotels and pubs will. 

My wife went back to Russia for a visit about 3 weeks before this all happened and she is stranded. I will be lucky to see her before August, if that. At least in Russia when they do a lockdown it is really enforced. She is nowhere near Moscow where the real problems are, but it will work its way south for sure. 

I cannot get to Eastwood for the sale of the house as everything is closed. 

It is incredible that life just one month ago was so very different, and we may not see that in a long long time, if ever. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Selfish I know but living in the far S.West I'm dreading if the lockdown is suddenly lifted and we get inundated with visitors from all over the world bringing who knows what bugs with them . Brits won't be in a hurry to fly off abroad , so I expect any UK destinations will be thronged .

In a normal summer our roads are usually gridlocked in the summer hols without an extra massive influx. 

I know I would think differently if I were connected to a tourist business and it's just been reported that up to 80% of restaurants , cafes and pubs could go under,  if the lockdown persists beyond August , as many are already at the limit of their borrowings .

This is a brilliant webcam of St Ives sea front showing how the lockdown is working here at present.

https://www.sloop-inn.co.uk/live-surf-cams/harbour-beach-live-web-camera/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I watched the daily briefing with amazement last night especially wondering which country Dr Jenny Harries is in.

SG, I can only agree.  She comes across as an archetypal Govt. apologist and really has nothing worthwhile to contribute. Don't forget. it was she who announced 'Herd Immunity' and the abandonment of testing....

I'm still rankling that I was accused of 'panicking' when this thing first hit. ..  A bit more 'panic' from all quarters might have saved a few thousand lives...

The first people who should have taken this seriously were our Govt... yet they have utterly failed on so many levels.  They STILL have not apologised for getting the early stages so wrong.

And Boris Johnson has certainly showed that if you are going to 'pull a sicky'.. you may as well make it a good one.  He seems to have gone back to his role as Part Time PM.

They STILL will not own up to their uselessness re: testing and PPE.

They are STILL not taking up offers of help from UK firms who can manufacture kit.

They are STILL stonewalling on so many things.. yet the deaths keep rising and these utter incompetents just have the bloody brass neck to stand up in front of us daily and LIE.   

If I believed in the supernatural I would curse these useless, trumped up idiots.

We are witnessing the ruin of a country at the hands of a bunch of nobodies who are only in Govt. because they are Brexiteers.

If I believed in God I'd ask him to help us.  These useless cretins won't.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DJ360 said:

The first people who should have taken this seriously were our Govt... yet they have utterly failed on so many levels.  They STILL have not apologised for getting the early stages so wrong.

New Zealand is a prime example of what could and should have been done using the maxim " Go Hard Go Early" and to some extent even though a little later our government has done similar things.

I cannot believe that the UK is still letting people come into the country without medical checks or quarantine. We and NZ have totally closed our borders no one is allowed in and when our government organises "mercy" flights to bring stranded Australians home they are taken from the airport they land at and put into compulsory quarantine for two weeks with daily testing. Only then, if clear are they allowed to go back to their home states.

I fully understand that NZ and OZ to not have the population numbers or the population density of the UK but early lockdown and continued social distancing appears to have worked.

I wonder if someone will really take the UK government to task particularly on the total fail on testing and sourcing of PPE for health workers.

To an outsider it looks like criminal negligence.

• Like 1

It's far too early to make comparisons between Countries and critisisms of what they have or haven't done right.

It won't be possible for at least 18 months or 2 years untill after vaccines have been proven to work on the masses and there are only a few deaths from Covid.

There will of course be people in many Countries who refuse to have the vaccine or prove to be in a group are are more at risk of being vaccinated than not.

There seems to be an obsession of comparing Germany to the U.K.

Germany's population although larger is spread over a greater area, the largest populated city in Germany has 3.5m residents, then 2 others between 1m and 2m

Londons population is 7.5 m.

(NewYork City 8.5 m, N.Y State 19.5m)

On the face of it what they've done in New Zealand seems a good idea.

However by keeping Foreigners out and compelling N.Z returning Nationals / Residents to stay in an approved quarantine establishment for 2 weeks means they've isolated themselves from the World.

That's going to have to continue untill the vaccine is proven as above.

So than means no visitors / holidaymakers to N.Z for at least 2 years.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Whilst not defending the government, if as is repeated over and over again “we follow the science” then I can understand them getting this wrong if they followed Dr Harries advice. They are only as good as the advice they get from the “experts”, so I think quite a lot of the mess we are in now would seem to be down to her advice possibly?
Last night a question was asked about people coming into the country unchecked. The answer was that you could check someone coming in and they would be okay but could then show symptoms a few days after. Surely the answer to this is a mandatory 14 days quarantine? It just seems like common sense to me, but then I am not an “expert”. 
Let’s hope the drug trial starting on Thursday is a success. Does anyone know how they conduct these, do you get vaccinated (my iPad changed this to fascinated) and then get exposed to the virus somehow?

Experts? Last night we were told there were 450. All possibly with their own ideas, advice and criticism. No wonder things aren't going how we expected. They contradict everything.

In life things when things break, go wrong and mistakes are made the default reaction is to blame someone – anyone.
When people panic or come across as being on the verge of panic they instinctively seek someone to blame. 

said a few posts ago one of the features of the post Covid age will be those omniscient people with 20:20 vision. They will know exactly what should have been done, they will know exactly what wasn't, why it wasn't and those responsible. Seems my timing estimate was out somewhat.

There is a global shortage of PPE, its not the fact we don’t have enough we do and have done since 2006. According to Hancock those responsible for distribution are falling down somewhere along the line and yes the old bogeymen ‘outsourcing’ is to blame. 
The 500million pounds worth of PPE we have stored as part of the 2006 pandemic plan is mired down in legal arguments that are holding up deliveries. In this respect I agree with Col the governments lack of action to sort it is woeful.

Criticising a supposed lack of apology is simply unnecessary vitriol as is accusing Boris of pulling a ‘sicky

Throwing brickbats at Dr Harries isn't very clever. She is not a politician  not often called upon to make public speeches. When she does and seems somewhat hesitant those who look for weakness clap their hands in delight and call her apologetic and patronising. It should also be pointed out that she's part of a huge team, it's their collaborative judgement not just her assessment and opinion that the government take note of.
Dr Harries is highly qualified and an expert in her field but an easy target, especially for those who do  not have her expertise.

For anyone who can be bothered to check,what she said is in fact true.

• Like 5

Don’t know what a brickbat is so never thrown one. I have no problem with her delivery, she is doing the best she can under difficult circumstances. Don’t consider myself omniscient (which is a marvellous word) either, neither am I in a panic or on the verge of it, just getting on with it as best I can like most people. I   I was just putting my thoughts forward for discussion.
I would just say that there are other “experts” who totally disagree with the statements she has made and it has even been said she should resign.