We can discuss all day the relevance of comparison of figures, number of people, population densities etc. but around the world it appears proven

there are a number of strategies that seem to be working.

1. Acting Early
  2. Physical Distancing
  3. Extensive Testing
  4. Isolation of Known Cases
  5. Rapid Contact Tracing

I'll leave you to judge for yourselves how well the UK has fared against these criteria.

Thankfully in Australia we have yet to reach a 100 deaths however this may be surpassed soon as we have a number of active clusters interstate that we are assured are controlled. Here in South Australia we have one only active case.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

I doubt Corbyn, McDonald & Abbott couldn’t have done any better? They couldn’t even decide on Brexit. :crazy:

The government are following the advice from the so called experts “The World Health Organisation” if anyone should be brought to task it’s them.

I’m more than happy with the job Boris & his gang are doing.

• Like 1

More than happy r r

the total lack of concern help and guidance the government has given to care homes

is appalling and verging on criminal.

I'm not saying any other party would have done better but  more than happy!! don't know about that.   

• Like 5

Sorry,  but put Johnson and Trump into the same category . They both had enough warning and if they had paid more attention there wouldn't have been the number of tragedies there are now.

Remember we in Italy have seen things from outside, being the 2nd country to be infected. A lot of you will say Italy hasn't done enough and we may agree but the warnings were there for all to see. We followed China's example as far as we could.

We are now into phase two with various businesses reopening. Piemonte has had an increase in cases mainly due ( IMHO) to those irresponsible picnickers flaunting the rules at Easter. Now just wait and see what the next few weeks bring as we open up and ease lockdown.

We went into lockdown on March 10th and I for one would continue like this if it meant no increase in cases although I really am fed up of  little to do and not seeing anybody. I wouldn't even consider venturing out wondering if I might catch this virus. But everybody has their own opinion and I hope it's the correct one.

• Like 2

Let me educate you a little, in America, a President has few powers, very few, he is the head of state, much like the Queen in England, everything he does can be vetoed by Congress, Article 1 Sec 1 of the constitution states who can make laws, and that is Congress, a President cannot make law.

Britain's PM has way more power than a US President has. Now if you blamed Congress for not acting sooner, I'd back your statement up 100% Nonna, BUT, they were too busy to act trying to bring phoney charges against the President to Impeach him, and it backfired and now looks like charges could well be laid for sedition against the leaders of the Democrat Party.

Constitutionally, if a President vetoes any bill, it is sent back to Congress, where if they wish, can table another vote and if they get three fourths of the house to say "Yea" they out veto the President and it becomes law.

Now to throw another spanner in the works,  the Tenth amendment gives the states and people the say in many things, ie what Congress hasn't been given powers to carry out, the states and the people can do without federal intervention.

Our system of government here in the US is a Constitutional Republic, where people are supposed to govern themselves, out national government has few powers, but our states have many powers granted them under law. Each state, has it's own Constitution, which mirrors the Federal Constitution, AND we have our own state laws, which differ from state to state, ie each state is a separate nation within the nation.

Does that make it clearer why the President is slower to act than other heads of nations, at a guess, I'd say Italy's President has far more legal powers given him than a US President. The reason why a US President has few powers goes back to when America was a British colony under King George. After the revolutionary war, the 13 colonies didn't want a head of state with the same powers of a King, as they said, we would be back in the same boat we were in prior to the war within a few years.

• Like 2

If that’s the case, why has Trump been issuing Executive Orders left, right and centre, which seem not to need the agreement or approval of either Senate or Congress?

• Like 1

Irrespective of US Law and Constitutional issues, Trump is still a Bona Fide idiot who has very loudly telegraphed his complete ignorance of science, medicine.. and in fact most things.

It's well known the US presidents are somewhat 'hamstrung' by their relationship with Congress.. which often explains their wilder Foreign Policy adventures.. often used to create an 'enemy' which they can loudly defeat to bolster support at home.

In addition, Trump'spolicy plank is and always has been pushing classic US unfettered Capitalism, and US 'exceptionalism' whilst also appealing to the bizarre notions of 'freedom' which have led to huge numbers of US citizens feeling that it is their 'right' to carry assault weapons and to use their existence to threaten democratically elected State and National Institutions.  As I've said before.. it's all 'rights without responsibilities' stuff worthy of adolescents.

I notice you have also not mentioned Presidential 'Executive Orders' which I knoew can be overturned, but not imediately.

Trump is ignorant and hopeless.  If you let him.. he will destroy you all.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Rob.L said:

If that’s the case, why has Trump been issuing Executive Orders left, right and centre,

Just beat me to it Rob.

Anyone who would like to watch an intelligent and well reasoned assessment of Coronavirus Policy in it's political context.. could do much worse than to watch this weekend's 'Dateline London' on the BBC iPlayer.  The usual solid contributions from Jo Coburn.  very well argued points from a Sudanese journalist called Nesreena Malik (I may have that slightly wrong) and others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000j61p/dateline-london-09052020

DJ360

You said this - We still have thousands of people flying into the UK unchecked.  I'm sorry but my view is that whoever they are and wherever they come from they should be aware.  'Land in the UK and expect to be FORCIBLY QUARANTINED for a minimum of 14 days.  If you don't like that.  Stay away.'

Actually the number of people flying into UK is now very small. Many are on transit flights.

As you know, my wife is in Russia, and I want her back as soon as possible. We wont know the actual rules until Boris speaks tonight but as I understand it, the rules are, only people from low risk areas are going to be considered. Russia is a low risk area. No problem with that. 14 days quarantine at a private residence.... I can do that easily for her. Easily provable too. Border control wont have any issue with my proof of address, our relationship, or her previous history in visiting the UK.  No use of public transport? I pick her up in the car at Heathrow.  700 mile drive but I am cool with that. No point in staying in London as there is bog all to do anyway. So for me this is good news, in fact the best I have heard. It means that I can focus on the plans to get her home at last. 

Actually quarantining her for 14 days will be a relief -  she wont go down the shops and buy crap we dont need. 

• Like 3

DJ, define "assault" weapons... A fist could be defined as an assault weapon. "Assault" weapon is a term the ignorant media invoked, technically there is no such thing, ask any Vet, they laugh at the terminology. Now if you mean AR15's, then all they are are small caliber semi automatic rifles.

I must add the media don't define SKS rifles as "assault" rifles, mysterious that is, so it appears the media charactorizes assault weapons from how they look, not how powerful they are or the calibre used. Incidently, the SKS was the common high power rifle used by the USSR, China and a few other asian countries after WW2 up until the 70's. It's about the same size calibre  as a 30 cal rifle used in deer hunting and larger game hunting, semi auto too.

I must inject, the media uses some odd terms like automatic semi rifles...NO SUCH THING EXISTS on earth. And Automatic rifles ceased to be available to the general population in the 1930's. The only rifles that are automatic these days are for the military, police and old refiles still in circulation and owned by federally licensed people. They require registering with the BATF, local police chief and the county Sheriff, they also requires a federal annual license with a hefty fee, plus to own one requires an expensive, extensive background check that can take as long as 5 years to complete. Most legal gun owners just can't be bothered with the "red tape" so just give up even wanting an auto weapon.

• Like 1

VG, do your own research instead of relying on the lame stream media which doesn't report very many true stories. In fact two major "newspapers" this side of the pond have had to post retractions to their ludicrous finger pointing lies in the last couple of months.

I've read so much history on the media, who old Joseph Goebbels's would be so proud of had he been alive today.

Good book on the media by an insider who now has over 40 years as an investigative journalist, written ten years back now, but even more relevant to today..."Stop The Presses" by Joseph Farah, an excellent read and well worth borrowing stealing or even buying. I bought my copy and couldn't put it down until the last page was read.

I might also add, nothings changed with the media in over 250 years, still lying dogs.

I'm reading a book called "The Jefferson Lies" about the lies told about Thomas Jefferson, seems the media of his day were just as bad as our media of today. The author debunks all the lies about Jefferson told today and how they came into being.

I don't see annyone here claiming that the media are all saints, but the alternative pushed by Trump and other Wannabe Dictators, is that the only truth is their truth.

You know perfectly well that every time somebody mounts a valid attack on Trump, which, by definition, has has no defence against. he then cries 'Fake News'.  The man is a fraud.  And an idiot.

• Like 1

AS I'm a little off topic, I'll make this the last one.

Someone mentioned Executive Orders, several of us debated them some 20 plus years back, they are in a pretty grey area of law called "Colour of Law"

Many of the guys I debated to researched the authority of EO's and came to the conclusion they ONLY apply to federal government workers, in part because of Art 1 sec1 of the Constitution.

Again, most would say why federal workers, isn't DC in the US...Errrrr DC IS THE US!! Don't ask me to explain that, 25 years of research could end up with me getting typists cramp. Basically each state, note the lower case s, have autonomy over their day to day running. AND the Supreme Court and several other state Supreme Courts have stated on record there are three definitions of United States, note the upper case S and U. The correct way to call this united nation is "united states of America".. Long story and many many hours of research that can very deep and involved. Like many others who have spent hundreds of hours of research, I recommend others to just do their own homework.

I hate to say this to an intelligent man DG, but you show signs of "media indoctrination" I'm not being rude, but even if I show you cast iron evidence, you'd refute it.

End of debate and back to the topic.

34 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

DJ, define "assault" weapons...

It doesn't matter whether my terminology is correct.  Maybe they are 'semi automatic rifles'. I really don't care.  But.. any Countrey, especially one which claims to be democratic.. has no valid place for idiots like this using the fact that they are armed to the teeth to force their views on the rest of the population and attempt to intimidate democratically elected Govt. They look and act like big soft kids who like playing at soldiers.

marine_scout_snipers_with_ss_flag-1.jpg

The problem is that carrying guns is endemic in the USA and it's such a vast country with so many redneck backwoods areas that it would be totally impossible to introduce a licensing scheme. The sale of firearms could be prevented but I doubt the legislation would ever be passed.

Do you think the "very well argued points from a Sudanese journalist" earns your plaudits because it mirrors your philosophy and is the same message you preach? Big bad Tories, 10 yrs austerity etc etc. Had she praised the government I wonder if you would still say the same. It was though on the whole quite reasonable with almost no sign of BBC bias...

Andrew Marr show was also worth a look if only for the oft misquoted statistician who clarified, for me at least,  the way the stats are compiled. Oh and there was a vapid talking head from the government who spent some time saying bugger all.

A lot of what Ayeup posted is true but the situation in the US viewed from this side of the pond long ago descended into farce. The dodgy financials, arrogance, dirty tricks and bully boy tactics of their government is depressing.

I find it difficult to understand  the amount of flag waving and drum beating they go in for about democracy and yet by any definition of the word - they're not, they don't have it.

To be fair we really shouldn't call Trump, he set out and against the odds got the top job, not only that, he has gone on to make a total mockery of the Presidential office, embarrassed huge swathes of the American people and still retained support for his half arsed utterances and barmy ideas.

• Like 1

'Assault rifle' is a generic term and most will understand what it means.

ALL weapons are by definition assault weapons. Ask the deer with a bullet in its brain from a rifle or the black guy on the wrong end of a shotgun and I'm fairly confident they will consider themselves well and truly assaulted.

Just watched it followed by Kier Starmer commenting on it.

He obviously watched a different version to me as he's confused and I'm not.

Kier seems to think millions of people are going to get up tomorrow and go to work and wants to know how they'll get there without using public transport and be able to work safely.

Is he too thick to see that if employers haven't made arrangements for safe working and already told the employees to go back tomorrow then they won't be going.

I doubt that they'll be thousands going back let alone millions.

And the Union guy was just as bad with his comments.