How things have changed. I've just been going back on this topic and reading comments from so many. What are everybody's thoughts on this virus now? Are we still as worried and concerned as we were ? What's changed for us? 

We are out of lockdown and gradually opening up more and more such as cinemas, theatres, stadiums  etc. we are still very aware that we still have this virus somewhere but it seems to be under control. But another scare today is that Lombardia has another epicentre. That was on the headlines but I haven't had time to sit and watch the news so far today so don't know what the situation is. Hope everyone is well and not having too much difficulty with shopping etc.

BTW don't know if anyone has noticed the female news readers or giornalists especially if they are blonde. Because of lockdown they haven't got a regrowth and their hair is always in order. Wonder how they do it. My hair in the last few months has grown and I ended up cutting it myself at the back. I had it cut the other day and now I feel human again. Going to the hairdresser was an experience, gel on hands before sitting down, disposable capes and towels, hair being washed and cut with mask on. Strange but it worked.

Take care all.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

I’m just as cautious as ever. Keeping 2M way from the few people I see and not leaving my immediate area unless absolutely necessary. I don’t think we’re out of this by a long way yet even though many people are starting to get less careful. I’m lucky in that I live in the country and have got loads of space. I wouldn’t care to be living in a high rise flat in a city.

• Like 1

Speaking for myself, I am really peed off with it all. We've been stuck in for 82 days now and getting to the stage where we no longer want to go out. It won't be long before we are all acclimatise to the fact that we will be afraid to mix with our fellow man. I've driven the incredible amount of 14 miles since the beginning of March.

Wonder if we'll get a refund on our road tax? I realise I've only attended 2 meet ups but it would be nice to come back up to Nottingham again, apart from delivering delivering the milk churn, to say hello to NS's. Not been to the shops since February, and as stated, a bit apprehensive about going (apart from feeling self conscious and a bit of a prat about wearing a mask). Where I live it's like a ghost town anyway, it's the traffic that seems to have increased, (motor cycles on Sunday is like Cadwell Park). Supposed to be coming up to Thoresby hall in early December,  so hopefully things might have improved by the time I  have to pay the holiday balance in September. Stay safe all. B.

• Like 4

I'm surprised it took so long to get to this point, but I've started to suffer from boredom for several hours most days.

Gradually worked through everything that can be done, or watched, or cleaned, or re-arranged. I'll be glad when my horizons can expand again.

• Like 2

If it wasn't for our daily early morning 2hrs cycle rides I would be more browned off than I am. We do go to Morrisons etc, but completely masked, hands sanitised on the way in and again on the way out. The thing is, I am getting to the stage where I wonder if I will ever feel comfortable being among people again. We have lost two holidays, deposits yet to be sorted. The two weeks at Skeg, end of May, we are waiting to see what the site decide to do. ( We don't want to go this year if they offer it later?)The holiday at Deal, is being held for next year at the end of July.

Hubbies Brother has been in hospital for a month, no visits or contact. Very poorly, he has had a stroke during his operation. I should have had a procedure in March, still waiting to hear when I will be called in.

And apart from that I have that much hair I look like an over the hill hippie.

Glad to be alive, so I'll shurrup moaning now.thumbsup

• Like 2

As you know better than most CT., we all have that unique NS  tendency to stray from the original track before coming back to what was first started. Which makes for amusing interest. As well as discovering items of interest and humour. Personally,  I  love the banter which often goes on, though some people do take exception to this and moan that it's  not what NS is for.

• Like 1

The danger in situations such as Covid is people becoming inured. Like many things, wars, murders etc we see so much of it in the news and media it begins to lose it's impact, especially when you can't actually see the danger and we start to accept it as the status quo. 

Precautions will for a time be influenced by peer pressure, others wearing a mask make it easier for us accept and do the same. We are to an extent monkey see, monkey do but after a time people will relax and revert to 'normal' practices. The question is will it be too soon?

• Like 1

Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the return of the virus. Went out earlier to B&Q and The Range and although people were queuing and maintaining the 2m rule, once inside everything reverted to “normal”. People just browsing with no regard for social distancing. Hardly any face masks. Seems that complacency is setting in and there will probably be a price to pay. Can’t see this thing disappearing for years, probably until an effective virus has been created and the vast majority of the population inoculated. I notice that as the R rate climbs to, and over, 1 in some parts of the country some bandwagon riders (stand up Andy Burnham!) are beginning to bleat that it’s the government’s fault and what are they going to do about it!

I’d love to hear some constructive theories from them as to what THEY think should be done. Give it a good talking to? Impose a curfew? Re-impose lockdown? Then there’ll be more bleating about job losses, businesses closing etc., etc., etc. Cynical? Me?!

• Like 3

I noticed the pictures on the BBC of the protest meetings. "the majority wearing masks" said the write up. Perhaps someone should teach reporters to count, at best it was only 50%. I'm interest to see if the idiots have caused a spike

• Like 1

It’s a sad indictment of our times that it will always be somebody else’s fault. “They should have told me!”, “They should have stopped me!” 

They should have used common sense and responsibility.

Oh ... “They should have taught me common sense and responsibility!”

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, carni said:

I will never understand why restrictions are being lifted when the unseen virus is still infecting people. Too soon to be safe!

Totally agree, Carni, but we’ve become, over hundreds of years, so reliant on trade that supplies our needs rather than supplying our own needs. I guess as a society, we can’t afford much more disruption to commerce - hence the rush back to work and “normality”.

Wonder what would happen if this thing dragged on for years? Governments trying to shore up societies by printing  money? How long could that go on? Even disregarding the health implications and possible millions of deaths, the social implications could be catastrophic. When you consider the crowded living conditions in the slums of India (just can’t believe the figures they are publishing) or Mexico, I think the eventual death toll will equal or exceed any of the infamous epidemics of the past.

Bloody ‘ell! What a little ray of sunshine I am this evening. BRING ME MORE WINE!

• Like 1

Be careful drinking hand sanitiser. There is nothing to stop it being made with industrial methylated spirits which contains 5% methanol the ingestion of which can easily result in blindness.

We are in a situation where we can do a lot or a little but it's frightening because we don't know where to go from here. This morning my daughter came over for coffee then my husband came back in from doing some shopping for the restaurant. As the supermarkets are making people queue outside first he found himself standing behind a chef from the next village. After a while another chef from just outside our village came and stood behind him. Of course the conversation got round to business. Hardly any customers. Opposite my sons restaurant is another restaurant that's been there for as long as I remember and specializes in large parties , weddings etc. They are struggling sometimes with no customers.,These two chefs this morning were saying the same thing. Yesterday my daughter had 4 customers at lunchtime ( usually full house) and not one customer last night. My sons restaurant did 16 customers all day.  They had a few days with no customers too. People are afraid to go out even wearing masks. Both restaurants during the summer have tourists from everywhere, Italians, Spanish, French, German , Swiss, American ,Canadian and so on. They come for the wine and good food in this area, look on trip advisor, but where are they? Italy has been barred from surrounding countries and we certainly don't want Americans at this stage. No offense to anyone. I keep thinking , every morning, I'm going to the bar for a coffee or I want to get such and such a thing from the supermarkets, then I think no I won't go so make myself a cappuccino at home and make do with what I have. Picking my daughter up from work last night as they closed at 9 pm, I was amazed at how much the village centre had changed. There's a new supermarket much bigger than the one we had and the square now isn't just one big parking area. Its now in order and has proper pavements . It looked really nice. So think that one day I may venture out and have a good look around to see what else is new.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
5 hours ago, jonab said:

Be careful drinking hand sanitiser. There is nothing to stop it being made with industrial methylated spirits which contains 5% methanol the ingestion of which can easily result in blindness.

Don't know if it's just an urban legend but I always understood methylated spirit is clear and only colured bright purple to put people off drinking it...

The keyword is "industrial" methylated spirit which is colourless and smells (and tastes) pretty much like strong vodka. The purple colouring is, as you say, to deter people from drinking the Mineralised methylated spirit and it additionally contains crude pyridine to further dissuade from its drinking.

• Like 1

Our niece, who lives in Virginia, was married to an alcoholic until recently, when it all got too much for her to cope with, when he started drinking mouth wash as an alternative. 

One strange side-effect on CV is that I've stopped using cash, most places encourage you to use cards.  I've had this pile of coins since the middle of March and it's not easy to find somewhere to use them.

srUF3PP.jpg