All and any like the top two you find I'll get rid of them for you CT - and at no charge!...   how good is that?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Don't think I've used or seen any cash for over a year, but I have had to go back in time & order a cheque book so I can pay my window cleaner, beginning of this month I needed a £20 note for a birthday card, got one out the ATM thought I had been scammed, I did not know they had changed to this new plastic thing :crazy:    

I got a treat of strawberries when my shopping was dropped off this morning. Didn’t have any ice cream/cream so did a quick nip down to local shops, with mask, to get some cream. There seem to be less people wearing masks now although social distancing was still being done by most. Saw an elderly gentleman with mask but only over his mouth, wasn’t sure whether to tell him he was wearing it wrongly but wasn’t sure of the reaction if I mentioned it so didn’t. Feel a bit guilty now. They can be uncomfortable if you have to wear them for a while, I find them “hot” but better that than the alternative. The mask has been put in washer and is now drying ready for next time.

I am finding that I don’t really want to go out, luckily I have managed to get Iceland/Asda home deliveries for us so at the most we only go out once a week if that and try to time it so the shops aren’t too busy. I would say that Iceland do better with home deliveries than Asda very rarely have anything missing and the delivery driver is really nice (and quite handsome I must admit) and always has a quick chat  ‘“are you okay - keeping well and safe - etc”. Personally I am quite happy with my own company so haven’t found it too much of a hardship, starting to think I might be a bit anti-social, although I miss my friends, keeping up on the phone isn’t quite the same and conversation can be awkward as none of us are doing “things” anyway. 
The dog groomer is coming on Saturday thank goodness. Kai is very scruffy and a bit smelly at the moment. Just hope he remembers how to get into the bath as he had only just mastered it before we went into lockdown. The vets are now also open for appointments only, Kai was due his booster last month. They are doing those that are 2 months overdue so have got to ring back next month which is fair enough. His flea/worm treatment is ordered off internet, which has worked out a lot cheaper together with his lamb spaghetti which is running low (think he would leave home if this ran out) which has saved a visit to the pet shop. 
To be quite honest I haven’t found it too bad being in lockdown, obviously the internet has been a godsend don’t think it would have been so easy without it. I don’t mind my own company, have Kai with me so we have been getting out most mornings for an hour or so walk when we don’t see many people and it can seem normal when we are out except for the occasional social distancing. I think that has helped as well.
I have loads of podcasts that I listen to, have 60’s music free on Alexa plus free books on audible and my kindle, and have binged on box sets in the evenings (I can recommend Gangs Of London on Sky if you can stomach some of the violence), as you can see I like the “free” price!  I am also in a battle with a couple of wood pigeons who raid my bird table. It has been a constant battle with them over the past few weeks. I have a brainwave of how to stop them getting to the tray with food on it and then watch as they work out how to circumvent my ideas. I am sure they smirk at me through the window when they bypass my inventions. Even getting hit with water from my super shooter hasn’t deterred them so we are locked in a battle of wills. I must say I do actually admire their tenacity (spelling) but they are starting to really annoy me as they just clear everything and then poo in the water bowl to add insult to injury. 
Even with more shops opening next week I think it will be a while before I venture onto a bus or into town to shop, I just wouldn’t feel safe at the moment even with a mask. I will be glad when the hairdressers finally opens, I saw a barbers in Italy which had opened, the barber was masked and the customer had a mask on which wasn’t looped behind his ears but was stuck into his face with tape so that could be a solution to going there. 
I really hope we are now over the worst and don’t have a second spike although I am not very hopeful we won’t have one unfortunately. At least the figures seem to be falling somewhat although I am not sure how much you can rely on them to be honest. Sorry this has been so long, everyone stay safe and well, perhaps we might even get to meet up before Christmas! (I do hope to be able to go to Goose Fair this year:ph34r:)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm afraid you might find Goose Fair is cancelled due to the possible demonstrations declaring it to be 'Goosist'.....half the local population calling each other 'Duck!' hasn't helped.

• Like 3

SG I went to the hairdressers last week and wondered and thought it would be difficult having to wear a mask. But it was ok  the elastic is slipped down and I held onto the mask while my hair was being washed. Then again as my hair was cut. It's awkward but not uncomfortable. I was worried as I have my hair cut very short, that the elastic would be cut or the hairdresser couldn't cut my hair properly. I didn't want it cut from "long" ( lockdown) to short ( summer style) so I had it cut halfway and I must say after years of having it cropped I now love my new style.  Hope your hairdressers open up soon. 

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1

Bit of good news from Russia. International flights permitted from early July. She still needs a visa but the quickest is an automated visitor visa system that could be done online ( You have no idea how difficult it  was to get visas for her some years ago) so the turnaround time for the visa is about 6 weeks. Should get her over here for late August. Considering that I last saw her on 2 March, that is a long time. 

I'll get her back. 

Flights still remain very cheap -  £55 from Moscow standard class with airmiles. 

• Like 2

Good news MD., glad to hear things are moving, albeit slowly. Here's hoping you get the Visa ok and you'll soon be reunited. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed. Good luck mate, B 'n T.

• Like 1

I thought marriage entitled the foreign national to citizenship but if you need a visa I hope for both your sakes I come through quickly and you can be reunited.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Brew

Its a lot more complicated than that. She has to pass language tests which are horrifically expensive and hard to find plus the documents of marriage are all in Russian. So they need to be translated. (Just as an aside, you cannot apply for spouse permanent residency unless you can prove marriage or relationship for two years. We have been married for two years now. Known each other for 12 years) Basically our marriage was delayed due to the passing away of both my parents, me getting redundant and her mother becoming ill and passing away. £2500 budget for the spouse visa. And will take months.

Quick way, get a simple tourist visa and get her here in 5 weeks. (£95!) The main condition of a tourist visa is that she returns to Russia. She can stay for some months until I can sort everything else out. The Covid problem has complicated everything hugely. 

• Like 1

I was told it was because the cardboard tube in the middle of the toilet roll comes from China and the ones already in shops won’t have the virus on them or there was going to be a shortage of them as China lockdowns hence no loo rolls. So silly some people will believe anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We are pleased that our lives are starting to see something positive. No not that CV pandemic has passed but we are starting to feel freer to some extent still with the use of social distancing and wearing face masks. But I'm worried about other countries. I know in a way that it shouldn't concern me but I can't help but wonder how other people are taking this situation. I know a lot of NS members live in US and watching or listening to news I wonder how they are affected. According to news on internet different states have different ideas or rules. Do you feel safe walking around your territory,? do you wear a mask, do you distance yourselves from your neighbours or do you forget because you feel comfortable?

The other day I went shopping and to our local market just to get outside of my own environment. I met 2 of my sisters in law and we stood talking distancing ourselves. It was really strange not to be able to greet each other as we have always done. ( a hug and kiss on each cheek) I've not seen them since the beginning of March and it's not usual not to have seen them in such a long time. It seemed like each one of us wanted to hug the others, it was a very awkward moment. We were all wearing masks as was everyone else. Walking round the market I thought I saw a cousin in the distance but wasn't sure until I came level with her and started to look at her when she said hello. It was only then that I recognized her. I agree with mask wearing and I feel safe but when you are out and about you never recognize and who you don't.

I saw yesterday that Lisbon has locked down again after an increase in cases. We are told that our levels are contained but if there's a slight increase in new cases I get nervous in case that number increases and we'd be put into a second lockdown. I hope every stays alert and safe. 

Keep well everyone.

who you know and 

I went into Nottingham this morning - mainly just for a wander around - for the first time in over 3 months.

I was there  around 9 - 10 am and it was surprisingly quiet, even allowing for everything. No queues anywhere; I could’ve walked into any shop (of those which were open) just like the old days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here in South Australia as of Next Monday social distancing is being reduced to 1 person per two square metres effectively allowing 50% capacity at venues.

Unfortunately there are still active cases in Victoria and the South Australian government has introduced on line pre approval requirements for all "essential" travellers wanting to come into SA from Victoria. We have opened or borders to all other states.

Our last confirmed case was almost a month ago and we have only had two cases since 23 April so things are looking positive. However 800 Australians from overseas will be allowed to land in Adelaide soon and taken into supervised quarantine. I hope they manage it properly or else we could have restrictions re-tightened.

Keep safe and well everyone where ever you are

• Like 1

Took Mrs Red, Daughter & Grand daughter to Skeggy for the day on Saturday,  can't say I spotted anyone in a mask & the fish & chips where delightful, anyone noticed the hand gel now never gets a mention? I've worked all they way through this covid malarkey & still never seen or used the stuff?     

Someone is taking a risk, thought  Boris had told everyone to be careful. Maybe the hand gel isn't in a prominent position and the many who are wearing masks are being sensible, that's probably why our numbers are decreasing . I cannot understand why people are so flippant , we cant all be so "lucky "

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Don't think it will be long before we can enjoy ourselves in self imposed house arrest for a few more months when the second wave engulfs us. Oh for something less dangerous like a bubonic plague.

Does anyone else remember the Asian 'flu pandemic in 1968? I don't recall any panic then  and if you caught it, as my wife and I did, you stayed off work and took great quantities of Beechams Powders until you got over it.

• Like 1

Was that Hong Kong A2, Commo?

I know several people who picked that up and were very ill. It killed around 4 million globally. I was 11 but I don't remember normal, everyday life being interrupted.

I recently had a letter from nhs. I was selected to do a self administered test as part of a national research project to see if I’d had coronavirus. The test kit arrived yesterday in a Jiffy bag. I had to prick my finger with a spring loaded pen and put a drop of blood in a small plastic device. Add 2 drops of activation fluid and wait a few minutes to see if a coloured band appeared. Take photo of result and complete an on line survey and upload photo. My test was negative so I haven’t had the virus Although the test is not 100% accurate. Selection is random apparently.