Bloke next door got one of those Letsavv.

Commo, I think '68 was Hong Kong Flu.  The Ethiopians, a great Jamaican band, had a minor hit with a song about it, which always went down a storm at the 76 Club in Burton on Trent on our Sunday night gigs.

It's terrible and dreadful man

It's terrible and dreadful man

You ought to rub up, rub up

With talanga water...

I think the Asian Flu was around 1959 and that's the one I think I got. aged ten.. which gave me a life long fear of 'the Flu'

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

It must have been 1959 when I  got that flu. One thing I can remember clearly was that fact cigarettes and smoke smelt absolutely ghastly, couldn't bear em. Soon went back to smoking when I recovered. I think I caught flu again in the late 60s or early 70s. Another thing was the terrible smell of brown sauce. Those two things have always made me know when I'd picked up flu. Odd I know but there it is. Had flu jabs for donkeys years.

I just spent the day being a miserable sod, minimally attired,  in my garden. Works for me. 

If I'd wanted an ice cream I had them in the fridge.  I have beer and wine in the garage and spirits in the kitchen cupboard.

I don't need crowds.  I'm easy travel from Southport, Blackpool, North Wales, Derbyshire, Lakes, etc. and have avoided them all on high days and holidays for decades. There's no way I'd be there in the current situation.

When the pubs re-open, I may go and watch the spectacle at the biggest pub in the village... from across the street...  My guess is it will be 'rammed' with all the usual suspects, who I wouldn't want to be in a pub with anyway.. virus or no virus..

I won't be going in any pub..  Not for a long time yet.

I want to see 'penny numbers' of cases in the population.  But that is not going to happen because many people are still behaving like idiots and only a fraction of the population have any immunity. Another 100+ deaths today.  Will people EVER wake up to this?

What's more.. our esteemed 'Government' have stopped the daily propaganda..  err 'Coronavirus Updates'... just when they are lifting the Lockdown.  So.. no more awkward questions from those pesky journo's on the telly..  Nope.. just Prime Minister's Question Time... a whole different class of information... :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Yesterday my husband and I went out for lunch to a restaurant nearby. Only a few people in but we were early. Masks dutifully in place and hand gel used we entered. The owner greeted us and we sat down , the owner explained that everything we were going to touch had been disinfected and sterile did then he stood talking to us and you could tell he was having difficulty talking and breathing ( as I thought with his mask on) My husband asked how he was and then I remembered that he and his partner had been confirmed CV. My husband knew them as they'd been into my sons restaurant where my husband is chef, but I hadn't met them. It was then that I realized, although they had been tested twice and both times negative, that he was still suffering after effects from this dreadful virus. I felt really sorry for him because he really was struggling to talk fluently. They ( partners) caught this virus early on and we heard before we had to go into lockdown so although he's not contagious he still has difficulty in breathing. I wish those people  who think they won't get it could see what the outcome is of this and maybe they would take more care and consideration towards others. Sorry to go on and on about this but I am so worried that it's going to kill millions more. We seem to be coming out of it , but other countries with big daily increases in cases and not being careful, what do they expect? 

It's not a thing that's constantly on my mind but when I see or hear something that doesn't seem right , I say what I feel I have to say.

A thought ....will we still have a world after this?

KEEP SAFE AND AWARE. 

• Like 2
On 3/15/2020 at 11:44 AM, Oztalgian said:

I think it may be time to provide some data.

I admit that * may be distorted by under-reporting or limited testing.

Our thoughts should be with Nonna and Italy in general as for some reason they have been badly affected.

Yes we need to be sensible/cautious/careful based on our individual circumstances but absolutely no need for panic buying (and why toilet rolls)

Country                 Total Cases                Cases per million of population

Italy                          17,650                            292         Posn 1 out of the top 40 and by far the worst

China*                      80,817                            56           Posn 13

France                      3661                               56           Posn 14

UK                            798                                  12           Posn 27 

Australia                 199                                   8             Posn 34 

USA*                        2269                                7             Posn 36 

How things have changed in 3 short months.

A good percentage would have died with or without this bug at sometime this year, anyone with health issues did the right thing locking themselves indoors, anyone with ill or elderly relatives kept away, kept their distance, those fit & healthy classed as key works carried on working with little or no risk by being sensible.     

RR I'm aware that a lot of people will have died but even you must admit that CV has taken its toll especially in USA. and U.K. They can't all be natural deaths in those numbers.The sudden rise is due to people who think they are safe, too confident that they won't get it. Trump is in a position albeit  extra safe as even though his staff are all negative and I believe so is he But he's tested practically every day . Wonder if he's afraid. I think he is or else he wouldn't get so many tests done on himself. On second thoughts he tells  everyone that it was going awayway it was disappearing. . Maybe he's on a direct line to the makers of CV. and they are keeping him safe. He doesn't care what happens to the American citizens as long as he's all right Jack. I can't get my head round people that support him and think he's done wonders. These increases in cases are brought about by people not being aware of what is happening, they've been conned into thinking that all is well.

You say you are a key worker? So hope you are taking your responsibility seriously and not just thinking because you are in that position that it won't get you. CV isn't particular. Have you seen anyone that has it or has recovered? Think about it.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that RR but it doesn't add up to those thousands that have been proved to have contracted CV.  Maybe Trump and USA dont affect you but aren't you a tiny bit worried and upset for those people. I know I am,     Very worried and concerned that this virus could cause such demolition in the world. I care for people you obviously don't.

Also they are not only elderly that have died, if you read the news there are children who have suffered and  are NOT immune as Trump is so falsely stating.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, radfordred said:

I know of 3 that have died in this COVID period they all had underlying chronic health issues. 

Depending how you want to read the Stats, somewhere between 45000 and 60000 people have died as a direct result of Covid in the UK. This info is in the public domain.

People are still dying at a rate of well over 100 per day.  Today's figure was 149. This daily figure remains stubbornly high and is not coming down.

149 road deaths, 149 murders, 149 deaths from industrial accidents, 149 post men savaged to death by dogs, 149 deaths from terrorism (from all sources)...

Imagine that?  Day in.. day out..?  There would be a huge outcry. Yet it seems to me that many people here are more interested in getting a pint in a pub, or a day on the beach, and just think they are immune to Covid.

Whilst the disease clearly kills mostly people who are older and/or have underlying health conditions, it also seems to kill quite randomly too.  It has taken new born babies , adolescents, healthy young adults etc.

There are thousands of new cases reported daily, so we clearly are a long way from eliminating this disease.

We still have no vaccine and partially effective drugs are only just emerging.

And yet, quite apart from all the idiots who never really observed lockdown rules in the first place.. we now have many people who seem to think it's all over and are crowding into shops and onto beaches as if it was 'business as usual'.

Meanwhile... thousands, maybe millions of people like me, who are older ..and/or have underlying health issues, are basically forced to continue in lockdown, because we cannot risk emerging into this chaos and confusion.

This is the ultimate expression of the selfish 'Me, me, me' society which Thatcher started.

• Like 4

I was with you all the way there Col until  you just could not resist having a political dig. I was going to post a riposte but I'm manfully resisting until I see it on the proper channel …  :rulez:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Due to an increase in Covid 19 cases in Victoria people have again started panic buying toilet rolls and paper towels. Coles and Woolworths our two biggest supermarkets have imposed limits on purchases across the whole country.

Idiots who panic buy toilet rolls should be compulsorily sterilised so they cannot pass their genes on to another generation.

• Like 1

DJ you said what you said in a nutshell. ( can't remember much of Thatcher ) it's a very sore point with me when people are so flippant. Why do I care? Because I do and I'm very worried about our next generation. We have friends still in Nottingham and they give us updates as well as us reading BBC news, they are also in the same frame of mind as I am. Very angry with people who haven't yet understood what it's all about. We are still getting focolai in Lombardy as the numbers increase again, so we are expecting to go into lockdown again unless things change drastically. 

As regards the USA situation, wait for the next upsurge after the " meetings "

For goodness sake and our health be aware what's surrounding us.

By the way before anyone says or even thinks I'm panicking , I can assure you I'm not, I'm just concerned about OUR  future if we have one left. I'm 78 this year. How much longer have I got before this virus disappears? I want to enjoy the freedom I had before with no restrictions. All I can say is that it's up to us to get it out of the way. 

BE SAFE, BE AWARE AND TAKE CARE.

• Like 1

Sorry folks about the political side of my last posts but in a way politics have crept into the sad world of covid. 

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

This is the ultimate expression of the selfish 'Me, me, me' society which Thatcher started.

I’m very loathed to put this comment here as we’ve previously ‘discussed’ political comments being made on threads other than the anything political. It’s a shame that you had to end a very good reasoned rational post with a stab at Thatcher irrespective of its truth or otherwise. I will say though that it’s far to complex to just single out Thatcher as the problem as I’m sure you well know which is why such a flippant jibe slipped in at the end of your post is just inappropriate. Please don’t think I’m having a go at you Col, I’m not. The ‘loony left’ with their control of the Marxist Unions in the 70’s have nothing to be proud of and cannot be dismissed. The 3 day week, Red Robbo, power cuts and destruction of the British owned car industry and manufacturing generally. Weren’t they all me me me. Something had to give, times indeed were changing globally.
I suspect you may want to respond so on the anything political thread. Please.

• Like 3

Me, me, me....isn't that simply human nature? Children are totally ego-centred until such time (and if they are fortunate enough) as their parents educate them otherwise.  Many don't.  

Darwin termed it Survival of the Fittest. Perhaps all that boils down to is Me, me, me?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Today is my birthday, so I am more elderly today than I was yesterday! I have been asked what I would like to do today but thinking about it there isn’t much I can do really in this covoid19 world at the moment. To be honest even if pubs, restaurants etc. were open I wouldn’t go I just wouldn’t feel safe and as I am not travelling on public transport town shopping is out. Also there doesn’t appear to be any loos open at the moment so that is something else to take into account. I can’t even take Kai out today as the heat yesterday has upset him a bit so he will be having an “in day” laying on his cool mat. 
Over the past weeks of lockdown I have got into a routine obviously staying in the house or garden (as most of us have), taking a Kai out and very occasionally going to the local shops (with mask)  although mostly ordering online and a relative dropping off fresh stuff once a week. It had become a way of life and I hadn’t given it much thought, it was just something that had to be done to try and keep myself away from the virus. However today has made me realise just how much my life has had to change through no fault of mine and how restrictive it has now become. Since moving back here a couple of years ago and adjusting to being on my own I had got to a stage where I had made some very good friends, reunited with two from before I moved away and was starting to be more daring doing things on my own (like going to the local Cafe a few time’s a week for lunchtime meal and becoming an invigilator at a local school). Although I am still in contact with friends by phone etc. It feels a bit like I am back to square one and if this is ever over I will have to start again building my confidence back to where it was.

I was appalled to see the scenes on some beaches In the past few days,  I can understand the need to get back to some more normality but really? My exasperation was compounded last nite when watching a Sky News Reporter on a beach somewhere (can’t remember where) with drunken idiots dancing around while she was speaking. I just despair, these are the idiots that will cause cases to possibly (or definitely) spike again and mean I will be in this kind of limbo for longer.  
(Started this before I went out to do a bit of shopping, Poundland, Poundstretcher, B&M and Morrison’s plants outside, the latter two being at Bulwell. Also had a quick look around Bulwell Market, sat on a bench and ate an ice cream). This gave me back a bit of hope, people patiently queuing outside shops, social distancing still at 2m and some wearing masks like us. I will keep my fingers crossed it is just the idiots that will succumb to the disease and not pass it onto those of us who are trying to do the right thing and contain (or best case scenario eradicate) it from these shores. As the sayings go hope springs eternal but I am not holding my breath.

Sorry this is so long again, it seems I don’t post as much as before but when I do it ends up as an epistle. Must be an age thing I am a year older today:huh:

• Like 8

In that case then SG, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLOSSOM ! Have a great rest of the day and enjoy every minute of your enforced rest, due to Lockdown. We may be miles apart but you can me on your list as one of your pals. :bighug:

• Like 1

Happy Birthday SG, pleased for you that you got out for a few hours.  I haven’t yet considered using public transport because I don’t need to but there does appear to be very good social distancing on the buses.  Go on, hop on a bus and have a wander around town!  I reckon you’ll feel better for a little retail therapy.