1 hour ago, Stavertongirl said:

Today is my birthday, so I am more elderly today than I was yesterday!

Sorry this is so long again, it seems I don’t post as much as before but when I do it ends up as an epistle. Must be an age thing I am a year older today:huh:

I think you have a new career ahead of you. You seem to be turning into a philosopher.

You should start your own Youtube channel and become an 'Influencer'.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Happy birthday SG. I've been looking at the " beach scenes" and couldn't believe it. I've said enough about covid over the last months so I won't tell you how I feel about these inconsiderate idiots who are risking passing on what others are trying desparatly to avoid.

You keep on with your mask wearing and social distancing and you'll be ok. It's working here and I hope that it works in U.K.

Happy birthday once more.

What on earth is this latest buzzword, 'influencer' supposed to be?

I've seen it dotted about.

What is an influencer?  Someone who influences the feeble minded, easily led, herd animal to do what they do, wear what they wear, think what they think, mimic their speech patterns, etc?

Another 'import'  from the good old USA, is it?  

As dear old, daft as a brush, George W Bush explained, most of their imports come from abroad! :P

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

What on earth is this latest buzzword, 'influencer' supposed to be?

I've seen it dotted about.

What is an influencer?  Someone who influences the feeble minded, easily led, herd animal to do what they do, wear what they wear, think what they think, mimic their speech patterns, etc?

Another 'import'  from the good old USA, is it?  

Yes, you've got it ;)

It started in the US; they all look the same (male or female); they all have the same level of intelligence; and they all answer questions which no-one thought of asking. 

• Like 1

Happy Birthday SG and may your long posts continue.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:52 PM, Brew said:

I was with you all the way there Col until  you just could not resist having a political dig. I was going to post a riposte but I'm manfully resisting until I see it on the proper channel …  :rulez:

Ooops!!  You got me 'Bang to Rights' there Brew, but I'd say this:

Firstly, the bulk of my post was political. It was about the way CV is being handled, and understood, and misunderstood and ignored by people at large.. which IS political, because it relates to the organisation of society. I'd rather hoped that people on here now understood that politics permeates life. Party Politics is merely the formal expression thereof.

The comment which you object to was 'party political'.  And yes, I should have left it out or put it elsewhere.

There have been numerous Political comments which I've ignored recently in assorted threads.

14 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

It’s a shame that you had to end a very good reasoned rational post with a stab at Thatcher

And yet Letsav.. you developed the argument by bringing in Unions etc. ;)

I'm going to the Politics thread.

3 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Yes, you've got it ;)

It started in the US; they all look the same (male or female); they all have the same level of intelligence; and they all answer questions which no-one thought of asking. 

It's just a new form of advertising developed to appeal to and to access the 'Social Media Generation'.

There's another version of the same thing on daytime TV.. in which cheerful old folks discuss dying and how they can get brilliant insurance from Company X so that everything will be OK for 'only the equivalent of 99p per day'.  And they still die.

Happy Birthday SG a bit late been in the garden all day its looking pretty good now may have sunstroke it was 33 degrees.You say you were at Bulwell market ,do you know if Hattons the market gardeners still have a stall there they are my fathers relations.

6 hours ago, DJ360 said:

And yet Letsav.. you developed the argument by bringing in Unions etc. ;)

I'm going to the Politics thread.

I wasn’t ‘developing an argument’ and am surprised you choose to think I was doing that. In fact I said I wasn’t ‘having a go’. You must know by now that I rarely make any political comments at all and certainly never engage in political argument. Your political comments are usually long and well reasoned and for you sincere. I merely wanted to point out that your comment was imho inappropriate where it was (again) and why I thought that.  I did say at the start of my post i was loathed to comment but where else could it go to make any sense and did ask for any response to be made on the appropriate thread. 

• Like 1

SG Again I wish you happy birthday ( now a late birthday) Yesterday when I posted I'd got my mind full of things that I should be doing and so instead of concentrating on what I was doing after wishing you again happy birthday I pressed post before I added a few more words. Sorry because the greeting sounded ( to me) a bit abrupt. Anyway, as much as you could, hope you spoiled yourself and cuddled your dog all day. Dont know whether ice cream shops sell in bulk like they do here but we get a kilo now and again that make their own ice cream so we nearly always have a treat when we feel fed up , like I was yesterday so out came the icecream. Cannoli and pistachio, it's the best ice cream that I have ever tasted. Trouble is that's it's so good , it doesn't last long.

Take care and don't forget your mask and social distance.

Thank you all for your birthday greetings. Nonnab your greeting wasn’t a bit abrupt at all and Beekay no birthday cake the candles would have melted the icing!

From my healthcare background I can tell you that this virus is far more dangerous than the flu virus. About 10 times more deadly. It really is nasty. 

My step son is currently on a flight to Moscow and then to St Petersburg, I have asked him to be careful. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

According to the latest data Covid 19 has infected almost 10 million people, killed almost half a million and economically has brought the world to its knees.

The UK (Hong Kong) flu epidemic of 1968/69 and 70, which many of us lived through, is estimated to have killed somewhere between 1 and 4 million people worldwide. It too started in China and persists today as Influenza type A, a seasonal flu, and it killed 30,000 people in the UK yet we did not shut the economy down as we have done this time we just got on with life. During the Hong Kong flu epidemic in the UK sickness benefits claims for influenza peaked at 500,000 claims and around 800 deaths per week with an infection rate of 200 per 100,000 of the population. Between 2014 and 2019 average deaths from flu in the UK were 17,000 per annum.

The UK has had 310,000 confirmed cases of Covid 19 that has resulted in 43,500 deaths with a population of 66.65 million a 0.47% chance of being infected and a 0.065% chance of dying. In 1970 the UK population was 55.56 million and with 30,000 deaths a 0.053% chance of dying, Covid 19 therefore is more likely to kill you if you get infected, but if you take off the average yearly number of deaths from flu then the impact of Covid 19 is very little different to the Hong Kong flu of the late 60's and early 70's

In 2017 Australia had 1255 deaths from the flu and in 2019, 902 died from just under 313,000 cases. In 2020 Australia we have had only 7593 cases of Covid 19 and 104 deaths 

I don’t know about you but to me this begs the question why has this strain brought about economic chaos that it has and what has changed in our psyche that has caused governments to react the way they have particularly here in Australia given that it is far less than a normal flu year. In previous years the level of flu deaths has not raised concern yet this has? What is happening and why have we hit the panic button on this one?

Is it

• Governments responding irrationally to media hype

• Government thinking that it must do something

• The impact or social media and misinformation

• Part of an icreasing anti-China sentiment fuelled in part by Trump

• Ultra-cautious medical and scientific advisors

• The risk of litigation

I would be interested in your views

It's still way too early to make direct comparisons.

Hong Kong Flu, as stated by the article was / is a seasonal flu.

Covid as yet has not run long enough to be determined as seasonal, it may keep killing at the same rate throughout the year so the total numbers could exceed H-K Flu.

The average numbers of deaths (from that article) from H-K flu in 68/69 were with very little intervention from Governments and others.

At that time they had no idea how bad it would spread.

The deaths from Covid are at a similar rate BUT with massive intervention and we knew how H-K had spread.

What would the death rate have been without intervention?

The World population now is far more mobile than it was then so any disease spread is going to far quicker.

My Son was in New Zealand in February for 2 weeks working, travelled back via Vietnam with a short stop (still working) over then onto Los Angeles, Toronto, then New York staying for 3 days (early March) then back home to Arizona.

5 days later he was laid up in bed with all the Covid symptoms but couldn't get a test as there were none in A.Z.

A few days after that my Daughter in Law had similar symptoms but managed to stay out of bed.

Both recovered from whatever it was.

Where did he catch whatever it was, how many people did he spread it to and how many people would have been doing similar journeys to that in the 60s/70s

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

I would be interested in your views

6 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

The impact or social media and misinformation

I think that is the key to it all. The fact that everyone knows everything (accurate or false) as soon as it happens - or even before in some cases.

This is the first pandemic which has played out on the internet. That's one of the main reasons why people bought too many toilet rolls and pasta. Too much information to take in, too often, and immediately jumping to a gut-reaction conclusion. It the internet had existed for any of the earlier pandemics, I'm sure there would've been more hysteria.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A14869-BD-AA0-E-4335-B09-D-BFF74-AF36292

this photo was taken the other evening , after the lifting of lockdown things are looking up. Overflow outside my sons restaurant . 

Forgot to add that on Fridays, saturdays and Sunday evenings the Lord Mayor has given permission to keep the road closed and to keep it a pedestrian way. This is helping the businesses there to recuperate. On that evening the main restaurant was full ( according to social distancing ) and so was the front courtyard.  We are in the old part of the village and they have been redoing all the roads and as you can see it's mainly cobbles. When they have finally finished it's going to look really nice . Opposite is a new gelateria and at  the far end of the archways is a restaurant that does weddings etc.  

• Like 5

The restaurant is behind those that are eating. The archways have a few shops but at night time it's really nice.

Even so it still looks a very nice area. There's something about eating alfresco on a summer's evening.

Me, I'm just fed up with this bloody lockdown. Now up to 104 days. Have a glass of vino Tinto for me Nonna.