I too am envious Nonna .

It looks clean and civilised there and with the Mediterranean glass of wine culture that Blair erroneously thought he could encourage the yobs of the UK to adopt.

The UK has fast become a lost society. The end of lock down has demonstrated that the lower element of society is becoming the norm for selfishness and bad behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Looks great Nonna and the weather appears to be somewhat better than the night we ate there! 

Yes Lizzie that was a terrible night but quite usual for that time of year. Thinking about that night you had to park in the car park right at the other end of the road. If you had gone a little further forward you would have found a small square with parking. You wouldn't have got so cold and wet. The area there is unrecognizable now as they are redeveloping Paese Alto. It's looking very characteristic.

• Like 1

Alpha, Italians without their glass of wine as an aperitif on a summers evening is unheard of. It is very relaxing and now that things seem to be on the up and up and they close the road at the weekend , it's Aperitif time . The view from there is lovely it looks over towards the mountains so the sun sets are beautiful. I'm not knocking it as I love U.K. but unfortunately  unless there's an area that has got a view it's sad that all you can do is drink and eat in close proximity to traffic and tall buildings. Still it's better than sitting at home and seeing four walls as a lot of us have been doing.

Good luck for your lifting lockdown but remember it's not over yet, be careful be safe.

As an extra thought we are having a lot of English people coming to buy houses in this area.Wonder if they are fed up too.

Here in South OZ we have had three new covid 19 cases after having none for around a month. The difference this time is that they have a source that is from 280 repatriated Aussies that returned from Mumbai on a "mercy" flight and have been put in mandatory quarantine with regular testing.

Victoria (Melbourne) is still struggling with new outbreaks and have locked down at suburb level in a bid to control the spread. Our borders with Victoria will remain closed beyond the promised reopening date due to the current situation.

Keep safe everyone, this is not over yet and I hope that the opening of pubs etc on Monday does not result in a spike of new cases.

Sorry to hear that OZ. My cousins are in Melbourne so I'm worried about them as they've been through hell and back when the husband was very ill. ( not cv I must add)

Its going to be a very long time before this thing is over. New cases increase and levels out a while then it decreases and the cycle goes on. Yesterday we had 172 new cases with 23 deaths, today 117 new cases and 6 deaths. Yes it's going down but still far too many. Summer is upon us and it's human nature for everyone to get out in the sun for a tan and just to enjoy the mountains or the sea and country side. Not everyone is obeying the rules, but they don't realize that they may be infecting those who are being careful.

I feel for Kath in Arizona and hope she is ok. I know she's posted on FB and only hope that when she's home ,if she isn't already that her local area is free of CV.

Strange but I feel more sorrow for USA than I do for Italy, we are doing ok but still more care is needed.

Stay safe everyone.

The problem in Leicester is that a lot of the ethnic families live in very close proximity. In the same room sometimes! Also there are a lot of people who don’t speak English and probably don’t understand the severity of the situation. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

The problem in Leicester is that a lot of the ethnic families live in very close proximity. In the same room sometimes! Also there are a lot of people who don’t speak English and probably don’t understand the severity of the situation. 

Same as Nottingham then! 

No doubt they’ll be coming along the Fosse to sample our curry houses. We could be the next town in lockdown. We’re a bit isolated here at the moment as the level crossing is closed during the working day for a week for road works, so a trip into Nottingham is an extra 10 mile diversion. The joys of Newark beckon, although that’s gained notoriety with a recent shooting at the Gypsy site on Tolney Lane. Just a ‘family’ argument I think.

Leicester's lockdown has nowt to do wi CV19. They just want em to lock down forra  bit a peace an  quiet.

Just heard this on news about Leicesters lockdown. I've been hearing bits about Leicester but hadn't paid much attention to it until today. Hope it doesn't spread.

All tables a metre apart ready for customers who wish to eat Al Fresco

37-D7262-E-0837-4-F06-90-AA-00-C6425-FB5

• Like 2

I'll eat almost anything especially if I don't have to  cook it or clear up afterwards!

It seems the Financial Times Have found out the new case figures for Covoid19 that are released are actually only the positive tests done in hospital and not the ones done in the community. (They have got the actual number of positive tests for both in Leicester.)  Makes me wonder what Nottingham figures really are. If this is true (and I am sure many including myself are not surprised if it is) it is appalling that true figures are not released. 

It would appear that there are 36 places under threat of lockdown, some in London (possibly not a surprise), Derbyshire (!) and Doncaster (bit worrying cause of all my friends there). It makes you wonder if anyone knows precisely what the h**l is going on.

I do think the statistics we're given could be simpler but at the same time unless every death is followed by a post mortem we have to rely on an individual doctors opinion and diagnosis. For someone who dies suffering both chronic heart disease and Covid which is the cause of death? Obviously both contribute but which one do you count?

• Like 1

I do tend to agree with you Nick.  I’m being cautious still but not letting the worry of Covid rule my life.  However, I don’t feel inclined to use public transport yet, I either drive or walk to wherever I want to go.  It’s the idiots who were demonstrating all over the country a couple of weeks ago who are spoiling our release from 3 months of lockdown.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, radfordred said:

When it's all done & dusted you'll find the official death figures for COV19 will be a lot lower, most would have died regardless.  

So how do you explain the over 65,000 excess deaths over the duration of the pandemic?

Excess being over and above the average for the last five years.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsregisteredweeklyinenglandandwalesprovisional/weekending19june2020

• Like 2

A further 137 deaths reported today.

It seems that getting below 100 daily deaths is not easy.

We've been around the 100 mark for weeks.

That's about 36000 per year.

The last couple of days our new cases have increased. Today 223 and 15 deaths. Even the slightest increase is worrying. Today the govt has complimented the public for wearing masks and keeping social distancing but " there are some that don't realize they are risking the lives of those who have taken care". It's become a way of life wearing masks. I have yet to see people bare faced. Problem is when you are out and about you have to be fairly near to those who you think you recognize before you say hello.

• Upvote 1

Following an upsurge of cases in Melbourne (Victoria) the state government has put 3,000+ people in nine public housing high rise towers into what they are calling "hard lockdown". At the moment it is expected to last 5 days whilst everyone is tested for Covid 19. They cannot leave their units for any reason other than a medical emergency. The government has allocated 500 police to enforce the lockdown by actively patrolling all floors of the units some of which are 20 storeys high. The residents are saying that they are feeling like criminals and unless this is handled very carefully it will not end well.

I hope that the opening of the pubs, and restaurants over this weekend in the UK does not lead to a spike in cases, this pandemic is far from over,

take care everyone.

Oz I heard something yesterday about Melbourne but didn't catch all of it, then just now I've had a message from my cousins who live in Greensborough. They didn't mention anything other than the wife had made some delicious chocolate cookies made with baileys liquor and sent a pic of cockatoos in their garden. Will have to phone them.So sorry about the 3000+ people that are in lockdown. Whether it's hard or soft it's not pleasant, but it's a thing that has to be done to keep this thing under control. 

You and yours keep safe and stay away from Melbourne.

nonnaB Greensborough is not in any form of lockdown so your cousin is free to come and go at will.

We have received another batch of ex pats returning from Malaysia and they are now in lockdown in hotels for two weeks with regular testing.

The restrictions have been relaxed further and we can now stand at the bar and have a beer, restaurants are fully open provided they abide by the latest social distancing rules of one person per square metre. We are still "cautious" but had our first meal out last week so a better form of "normality" is slowly returning. I can assure you that I have no intention of going to Melbourne at the moment. You keep safe too.

• Like 1