I hope this sad notice is going to have some effect, but still a lot of people who think like they've been told that it will go away and that 99% is harmless. How can they be so naive when so many are dying and so many more are contracting this virus. Surely someone more in authority can take over from the president and get this over that it won't go away and even 1 % is dangerous. 

I am so sorry I keep going on about this but I feel very strongly that it's not being taken seriously by the person in command. We were the first country after China and our results shot up at an alarming rate. Even I said at the beginning that China was a long way from Italy and surely we couldn't get it. How wrong and naive was I?

i really don't want to go on anymore saying anything about CV , I think I've said my point and hope I don't upset anyone by it but all take care and stay safe.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Recent evidence suggests that the virus has been out there for some time - and not just in China. Scientists have been testing old water samples in several European countries and found evidence of the virus from 2019. It is quite possible that it was out there in a form that people just didn't notice for some time. Even today many sufferers don't realise they had it. The serious cases were likely just assumed to be pneumonia.

The virus differs slightly from one part of the world to another. Examining the different strains suggests that most UK infections came from places like Italy and Spain, not China. Even if it wasn't in the UK last year, the sheer volume of holiday traffic to places like Northern Italy and Spain over Xmas/New Year  could have brought loads of cases into the UK before we even knew it existed.

• Like 2

Yes I've heard that too but don't think we will ever know. I think we all will blame other countries. We have a very high influx of Chinese who work in Milan in the fashion industry so it seems logical to put the fault to them but wherever it's from it's created a disaster.

We even have a Chinese family in the village. They run a bar the most popular one in the village. The wife was in China when the virus hit here. She was stuck there, not in wahun but further north. She couldn't get back home. I thought the locals ( mostly old country folk) wouldn't go back to them but they have. They are lovely people and everyone has accepted them.

One of the guys at the local supermarket that I use told me a few weeks ago that something went through the staff there last December that made some of 'em wish they could die.  Eventually things did improve and no one died but they still wonder to this day just what it was.

13 minutes ago, loppylugs said:

One of the guys at the local supermarket that I use told me a few weeks ago that something went through the staff there last December ....

Similar story from my sister who lives in Southern Ireland . She went to her doctors in December and whilst there the doc asked if she had had a pneumonia jab . 

My sister replied no and without asking her if she wanted a jab , the doc went out the room , fetched a dose of the serum and jabbed it in her arm , saying that she had lost at least 4 elderly patients to pneumonia in the previous few weeks .

• Like 1

I'd have probably grabbed it and given her a jab to the posterior!  No one!  dr. or anyone else is sticking anything into this old dog without first, explaining what it is and why it's a good idea.  Secondly they'd better ask my permission before going ahead.  To me, that is a form of assault.   Hope your sister is ok, David.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, notty ash said:

Recent evidence suggests that the virus has been out there for some time - and not just in China. Scientists have been testing old water samples in several European countries and found evidence of the virus from 2019. It is quite possible that it was out there in a form that people just didn't notice for some time. Even today many sufferers don't realise they had it. The serious cases were likely just assumed to be pneumonia.

The virus differs slightly from one part of the world to another. Examining the different strains suggests that most UK infections came from places like Italy and Spain, not China. Even if it wasn't in the UK last year, the sheer volume of holiday traffic to places like Northern Italy and Spain over Xmas/New Year  could have brought loads of cases into the UK before we even knew it existed.

I thought the reason it was called Covid-19 was to do with its 'discovery' in 2019.

10 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

I thought the reason it was called Covid-19 was to do with its 'discovery' in 2019.

Officially, it was identified in China in December 2019 as a new disease, but has been traced back subsequently to earlier in the year.

There was a chest infection going around late last year. Loads of people had it, think I picked it up whilst I was invigilating at the school. It was a really bad chest infection, made it hard to breath but a course of anti-biotics helped although the cough lingered a while after. 

The original name was nCoV-2019, which stood for novel coronavirus, discovered in 2019.

MERS stands for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. It was named so because the deadly virus was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012.

Likewise with the swine flu pandemic of 2009, now renamed H1N1. 

The naming of these diseases  had unforeseen economic consequences so Covid - 19 was used to avoid any stigma.

WHO.

2 hours ago, notty ash said:

Officially, it was identified in China in December 2019 as a new disease, but has been traced back subsequently to earlier in the year.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before but I’d need to plough through 47 pages of this thread.

In October last year my son went to Japan for 3 weeks to watch the Rugby World Cup. He returned in early November.  For the last week of his trip he was poorly with a temperature, bad cough etc.  He was still ill when he came to us for Christmas and spent most of the time lying on the sofa and coughing.  I insisted he make an appointment with his GP when he got back home, which he did.  The doctor was in two minds whether to call an ambulance for him as his oxygen levels were so low.  However she put him on a course of steroids and antibiotics which slowly did the trick, but he did have to go to hospital for X-rays too.  
We and the other Christmas house guests were perfectly fine and never caught the virus from our lad.  One of our party was 89 at the time too.  

• Like 2

The origin of the disease is very difficult to work out. It was first publicised in China, but there is evidence of coronavirus elsewhere before the retrospectively-traced first cases there in October. There is a possibility at least that it was lurking in a number of places before the right conditions arose for an epidemic. The WHO is currently doing a detailed investigation.

Spanish flu, immediately after WW1, is a good example of misrepresentation. It got a lot of publicity as Spanish newspapers were not censored at the time, whereas in most of Europe and America, news was suppressed. It is likely that it started in America a year or two earlier, but no one knows for sure.

8 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

There was a chest infection going around late last year. Loads of people had it, think I picked it up whilst I was invigilating at the school. It was a really bad chest infection, made it hard to breath but a course of anti-biotics helped although the cough lingered a while after. 

A neighbour of mine who works on power lines in all weathers and conditions and is a strong lad. was flattened by something like that for 3 or 4 weeks over Christmas.  He was off work for so long that his boss demanded he returned his vehicle.. tools etc.  To which he responded.. "You want them.. you come for them.. If I'm too sick to work I'm too sick to bring your stuff back".

His approach must have worked 'cos he's still working for the same boss.

Melbourne has been hit by a resurgence of corona virus with the number of cases in the hundreds over the last few days. The media reporting indicates that it resulted from poorly handled security of returnees in hotel quarantine. It has now spread to pockets in New South Wales resulting in Queensland closing its borders to people from two council areas in NSW.

Meanwhile here in South Australia we are still Covid19 free, however I fully expect a resurgence after authorities allow 25,000 per game in to two Aussie rules game being held in Adelaide in the coming days.

I really do not understand the logic that makes them think they can do this safely at this point in time.

Keep safe everyone and remember, it is not over until its over and we have a proven ant-viral that can be rolled out to all.

• Like 1

Like, not because I like your post but because of the activities of the mass being naive, which doesn't mean I approve of mass meetings.

I hope and pray for the sake of the three thousand poor people imprisoned and terrified in those tower blocks in Melbourne that the administration and bureaucracy of the authorities there is a darn sight better than it would be here. Feeding and caring for those prisoners is a mammoth task and I have little faith in the ability of the authorities so to do.

Regarding mass gatherings, we can obviously expect a "surge" in London following the mob gatherings there over the last few weeks.

In the last couple of days we've been having an influx of immigrants. We seem to be the first port of entry. There are boatloads that have to be tested and there are many that are positive. Granted they are all under control and for that we should be thankful but there are still thousands of Italians who still have to be tested. This country is only so big and I wonder where they will all go. I've lost count of the refugees that have fled their own country in the last few years. Do they know there's a pandemic here when they climb aboard that tiny boat and wonder if they're going to have a better life? I feel so sorry for them, most have left their families in search of work, when they are sent to other parts they find any job that pays, mostly very much underpaid menial jobs.

Lots just live in hovels and some turn themselves criminals. Is it worth a scary boat journey to risk life and to end up either in poverty or suffering with cv which is probably the most common outlook.

Nonna, re your last sentence...

they must be fleeing from something much worse in their own country.  In their position I think we would probably all do the same for the sake our own and our family’s lives.  
Migration has been happening since the dawn of time as people kept moving to where there was relative safety and food just to survive.  I believe that the earth belongs to everyone regardless of creed, ethnicity or anything else. (However, I know it’s not that simple.... I was just taking it back to basic principles)

9 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Melbourne has been hit by a resurgence of corona virus with the number of cases in the hundreds over the last few days. The media reporting indicates that it resulted from poorly handled security of returnees in hotel quarantine. It has now spread to pockets in New South Wales resulting in Queensland closing its borders to people from two council areas in NSW.

Meanwhile here in South Australia we are still Covid19 free, however I fully expect a resurgence after authorities allow 25,000 per game in to two Aussie rules game being held in Adelaide in the coming days.

I really do not understand the logic that makes them think they can do this safely at this point in time.

Keep safe everyone and remember, it is not over until its over and we have a proven ant-viral that can be rolled out to all.

Until recently, pedestrians on the southern Gold Coast were able  to travel between Queensland and New South Wales unhindered and without checks.