• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Margie is right. I keep popping in to see how you all are. Thankyou all so much for your posts.   I'm afraid we are not very well the pair of us. This must be the 'Long Covid' that we hear a

I really wish that more people were afraid. For their own safety.    I don't think anyone who hasn't witnessed in reality a person down on their hands and knees gasping  with a chest full of

Am in total dismay at the human race. It's becoming more like Mad Max at the moment.        This me me society we have created cares only about themselves: I'm alright Jack, the rest of you can f

Posted Images

Oh Dear... the Kalergi Plan..   Not really needed..

What we are seeing really isn't difficult to explain.  Most of the World continues to interfere in the Middle East and North Africa.

Much of this thinly diguises continuing 'squabbles' between the USA, GB, Russia and their respective allies. 

Iraq, Syria, Libya, Yemen and lots of other places de-stabilised, while we continue to manage friendly relations with Saudi Arabia which is nobody's true friend. We continually fail to condemn or prevent Israel's blatant land grab.

Meanwhile the populations of these countries are subject to revolution, dictatorship, religious oppression by the likes of the Taliban, ISIS, Iran's 'Revolutionary Guard' and so on.

Is it any wonder that the poor sods see Europe as a refuge?

And is it not ironic that we are reaping what we have sown?

I won't comment further outside of the Politics thread.

Our responses are going to be determined by what we mean by immigration..  I think for most of us that left the UK since WW 2 our intent was to integrate.  Not to form little sub communities of English folks trying to live exactly as we did in the UK.  FWIW it seems to me that many coming to our countries are not really immigrants but rather refugees.  Unfortunately in many cases being used by powerful monied interests to destabilise the countries they are moving to.   The ultimate object seems to be a one world system of equally demoralised people who will be easier to control.  Just my five cents worth.  I hope I'm wrong, but to use an expression.  I've never seen owt like the current world situation in my life.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Will2017 said:

Until recently, pedestrians on the southern Gold Coast were able  to travel between Queensland and New South Wales unhindered and without checks.

I can't help feeling sorry for those people that live in areas close to state borders especially when all their services, doctors, shops etc are in another state that has closed the border with the state they live in and having to get a pass to go over an arbitrary line on a map

I cannot believe the closed minds and biased views on here. As with the political thread, will the mods please make this thread only available when logged in so that those of us with a more questioning mind and sense of reason no longer are subjected to such offensive material.

• Like 1

Margie, I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I know quite well these immigrants( they are called immigrants here) are fleeing probably a far worse situation. In fact they are refugees and very badly treated buy those who take their money , very often life savings, and bring them on overcrowded boats that look as though a puff of wind would collapse and send them all into the sea. Many can't swim so although they are now coming into the country thick and fast I do understand they are escaping. There is one member of parliament that is trying to stop them coming into the country and he's nasty about it. Italians understand the situation but many are not too pleased about it. The immigrants once their health is checked and put in order they are given a sort of wage, they go into centers and hopefully other countries will accept them . A lot won't  so we have them. Unemployment is high among the Italians so we have to support the immigrants too. It's no easy situation.

I was emphasizing the courage that these people must have to venture into a boat not knowing what the future will bring to them.

The biggest criminals are those that bring them over. They are in boats that have no sanitary units.  No cover in case of bad weather and no privacy not even an arms width between them. I often wonder if they knew what it would be like. But suppose in their desperation they take a great risk. 

Years ago we had a lot of Albanians coming into the country, we had a sudden increase in various crimes. Eventually things sorted themselves out and it was quiet. There were two sisters who were trying to set up home and were looking for furniture. As the house we bought around this time was full of old fashioned but beautiful furniture. We offered some things to these sisters.  They turned their noses up and said they they wanted my furniture, they were quite peeved when I pointed out it wasn't possible but if they were in need surely usable furniture should have been useful until they could afford to buy what they wanted. Now we have every sort of  person . beside Albanians , Macedonians , Polish, , Chinese , Ukraine and I don't know what else. Crime rates are not high but when there's the vendemmia and holidays times it goes up. 

I hope these immigrants come to a happy ending as one young Albanian lad did years ago. There was a boat leaving and although he was only a young lad he hopped board . No word to his family but he loved dancing and has made a career in dancing and is a big success.  But unfortunately it won't happen to a lot of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We're sailing pretty close to Dens famous giant bold font here.

I strongly object to the sanctimonious tone of some comments but will go no further - we should be on the political pages by now...

Going back a few days, there was a point where CV and politics crossed and couldn't be separated. (The Trump mask case).

The thread has drifted towards more blatant politics, so posts may have to be moved or removed.

• Like 1

I don't envy your job as a mod on this one CT.

This CV seems to have become one of the most politicized diseases in history in most of our countries.  Some say lockdowns too long destroying the economy. Others, not long enough.  Some say masks infringe on freedom and on and on.  Apart from killing the sick this virus has done much to divide the still healthy.  Because ultimately govt leaders apply or do not apply the rules it can quickly descend into partisan politics.  Throw in a few immigrants who might be carrying the virus and it can quickly go off the scale.

I respect your decisions as a mod.  Always have! but I think I'm staying off either thread for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, radfordred said:

English?

Yes and English although we are in the minority, so we are well known.

Had a phone call from Cardiologists secretary on Friday asking me if I would take a cancelled appointment today at 1.50pm to have my 72hour Halter heart moniter fitted. No problem. Getting signs that need checking.

Hairdresser on Saturday 1st August. YAY. In my mams words.....I look like 'The wild woman of Borneo'?

Specsavers Tuesday 4th August. 

Just waiting now for new appointment for Colonoscopy that was cancelled in March.:wacko:

Really pleased because I was worried in case I had been forgotten. Still worried about going to hospital because of the Virus. From what I have seen in the shops lately, people are not wearing masks, keeping a distance, using the wipes and hand sanitisers, picking things up and putting them back down. Crazy world!

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, carni said:

Still worried about going to hospital because of the Virus. From what I have seen in the shops lately, people are not wearing masks, keeping a distance, using the wipes and hand sanitisers, picking things up and putting them back down. Crazy world!

In my experience, people are doing that kind of thing - even more than a few weeks ago. There seem to be more masks in supermarkets now than previously - even I'm doing it. And I think most people are trying to keep a safe distance from others. It's become an automatic habit with many.  A lot of shops have a sanitiser at the entrance and you can't really go in the place without using it. The good thing is that the panic buying and queuing from a few months ago have disappeared.

It's almost getting difficult to remember the 'good old days' when things were different.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Home Bargains on the Stafford Road yesterday. Only one staff wearing mask or gloves.

Apart from us ode codgers wearing ours you'd have had a job spotting a customer in a mask. I don't know if they offer protection, but until you have been coughed in the face by someone it may not seem necessary? the conversation at the till was by the customer to the assistant, that they are waiting until they have to wear one?

Any thing that might help is worth a try?

@radfordred   It was actually 40 people in the U.K. who died from Covid 19 on Saturday - but I agree, there are many other diseases/conditions which are in need off treating.

Is anyone else confused about the daily death figures?   Some days the new numbers and the total number add up correctly from the previous day, but sometimes they don't.   I like numbers in general so I keep a daily record ... not for any morbid reason, but just because I like statistics.

I know, I'm weird  :Fool:

Well done CT for posting the link. Hope people will start to use masks in UK. We've been wearing them for so long and you do get used to it. It's now automatic before we go out to reach for a mask.  I read as I think others did that a man in US went to a party and came away infected with the virus. As he was dying he told the nurse that he thought it was fake news, a joke, or just "joshing " because he didn't believe it.

Lots laughed at us in the beginning wearing masks but look at us now. Yes occasionally the new cases increase but then go down again. Here in Piemonte we have very few cases thanks to people being sensible and doing what we've been told to do. Now businesses are picking up and some sort of normality is returning.This is an ongoing virus and until everyone understands it will go on and on infecting until,a vaccine is found.

Do people without masks get fined as I've seen in news ? Here they were fined very heavily but I'm not putting a halo on Italys head because there are still some stupid people around , but maybe they prefer to pay the fine than to put food on their tables.

No one is immune. Keep safe

28 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I know, I'm weird  :Fool:

No need to tell us Margie... we already knew!               :rotfl:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Is anyone else confused about the daily death figures?   Some days the new numbers and the total number add up correctly from the previous day, but sometimes they don't.   

I've found it also depends on where you look for your figures. Different sources are giving different totals depending on how they compile their data and where they get their information from.

There can also be variations in the timings involved, the geography, and the definition of what they count as "a death from Covid". 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1